A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping?

bjn201

Reaction score
Hi There

I just bought my 2008 B7 Cabriolet, and the roof worked during the test drive.

However having tried again on my own, the roof only opens a few inches then stops.

The dash also has the roof light flashing on startup (but it disappears).

The guy I bought it from said "fiddle around with the roof storage tray in the boot" - I have tried this but no avail - anybody have any clear instructions for what to check in the boot?

First ever Cabriolet so detailed guidance appreciated for a newbie!

Thanks!

sounds like a sensor issue with the black tray where the roof folds into try pushing it up and locking it in with the lever that's what's causing your issue when it's not sat in the correct position

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. Should it be up or down?

Currently its down and the lever is on the right hand side. I tried putting it up and down using the lever and then retrying the roof but same issue.

Thanks!

I recently had this problem. It was the position sensor in the roof. Does it work if you give it some assistance before it gets stuck?

If so I don’t reckon it’s the motor it’s either the relays in the boot ( one of mine was corroded but then someone had played around with mine in the past and had a plastic bag round them) but it stopped after a few inches. the same thing even after getting the motor refurbed.

the part number is Audi A4 Cabriolet Roof Potentiometer 8H0959613A (8H0959613A)

if your local we can swap the sensor over, off mine to see if it fixes it.

I agree with David, sounds like stuck brushes in the motor. It's a straightforward job to fix and although you can do a temporary repair, the problem will return. My advice is to do what I did and replace the brushes and guides with a VagPro kit. End of problems. (See link in above post)

Hope you get it sorted soon. I know how frustrating it can be.

I recently purchased a 2008 A4 Convertible. When I purchased the vehicle, I knew that the top was inoperable, other than manually. I had the dealer service the vehicle and asked them to diagnose the issue with the top. They said the convertible control top unit (part # 8HO 959 255 B) was bad, and that there might be more wrong after that but they knew that part was at least bad. I purchased that part used, installed it and got the top to cycle down and up once completely and correctly. Since then it only lowers the window half way and unlatches the top. I'm unsure of where to go/check next. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a 2008 A4 Convertible. When I purchased the vehicle, I knew that the top was inoperable, other than manually. I had the dealer service the vehicle and asked them to diagnose the issue with the top. They said the convertible control top unit (part # 8HO 959 255 B) was bad, and that there might be more wrong after that but they knew that part was at least bad. I purchased that part used, installed it and got the top to cycle down and up once completely and correctly. Since then it only lowers the window half way and unlatches the top. I'm unsure of where to go/check next. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I had this same issue and it seems very common.

One of the microswitches in the hood (near the front latch) will have failed and the hood motor will be goosed. I stripped my hood motor down and cleaned up the brushes and contact and everything sprung back as it should but the motor was putting out less than half of the power that it should have.

New (or refurbished) hood motor and microswitch needed and probably a trip to VagPro in Leicester. Khurrum will sort it within the hour :D

J:)

I bought my a4 with this same issue, mechanic said that’s why probably price is so low because costs of repairs will be around £1000, then I spend few hours in internet and find out about stuck brushes, tried clean them but nothing changed. I order new roof motor with pump oil for £130 on eBay and send my old one for £30 refund. Up to you if you want try clean brushes or just straight change for new motor. Job takes me 15 minutes, you can find video on YouTube how to do it.

Hello. I’m sorry to bother you guys but I need help with this too. I have an A4 B7 Cab and have the same problem, it opens a few inches at the front and thats it (yellow light blinks a few times in the dash too).

The thing is that I already tested the motor and it’s “brand” new. So basicly I tried everything and I did tested the motor with a battery and its working properly. I checked the relays with a multimetre and all are getting 12V but the one that connects to the actual motor, I only get a 12V reading for a few secs only when the roo button is pressed and then goes to 0V straight away.
Then the same thing happens when the button is pressed to close the roof. Should the motor get power 24/7 or maybe the relay is f***ed? The motor is not even turning. I also tried it manualy reset but still not working.

I’m really desperate at this moment and can’t find anything else to try.
Thanks for the help