1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping?

bjn201 Sep 12, 2018

1. bjn201

bjn201 New Member

Hi There

I just bought my 2008 B7 Cabriolet, and the roof worked during the test drive.

However having tried again on my own, the roof only opens a few inches then stops.

The dash also has the roof light flashing on startup (but it disappears).

The guy I bought it from said "fiddle around with the roof storage tray in the boot" - I have tried this but no avail - anybody have any clear instructions for what to check in the boot?

First ever Cabriolet so detailed guidance appreciated for a newbie!

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. jake06

jake06 New Member

sounds like a sensor issue with the black tray where the roof folds into try pushing it up and locking it in with the lever that's what's causing your issue when it's not sat in the correct position

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. bjn201

bjn201 New Member

Thanks for your reply. Should it be up or down?

Currently its down and the lever is on the right hand side. I tried putting it up and down using the lever and then retrying the roof but same issue.

Thanks!

5. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

This may help. Search YouTube.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  6. LawrenceH

LawrenceH Active Member

7. 8h3tdi

8h3tdi Member

I recently had this problem. It was the position sensor in the roof. Does it work if you give it some assistance before it gets stuck?

If so I don’t reckon it’s the motor it’s either the relays in the boot ( one of mine was corroded but then someone had played around with mine in the past and had a plastic bag round them) but it stopped after a few inches. the same thing even after getting the motor refurbed.

the part number is Audi A4 Cabriolet Roof Potentiometer 8H0959613A (8H0959613A)

if your local we can swap the sensor over, off mine to see if it fixes it.

8. davidmbell

davidmbell Member

9. Marklar

Marklar Member

I agree with David, sounds like stuck brushes in the motor. It's a straightforward job to fix and although you can do a temporary repair, the problem will return. My advice is to do what I did and replace the brushes and guides with a VagPro kit. End of problems. (See link in above post)

Hope you get it sorted soon. I know how frustrating it can be.