A4 B7 Avant K04 2.0TFSI quattro progress thread

SPek9

Reaction score
Here is my B7 A4 Avant quattro and a quick spec list of what I have done with the car over the past few months which has transformed the car

-Brand new genuine Aud K04 turbo upgrade, complete with manifold and all oil/water lines
- JHM High flow race cell CAT
- Full Milltek twin cat back exhaust
- Treadstone front mounted intercooler, custom hardpipe kit
- Genuine R8 coilpacks
- Updated PCV
- Updated DV
- S3 injectors
- RS4 fuel return valve
- JHM High pressure fuel pump upgrade
- New cambelt, tensioner and waterpump
- New rear cam chain and tensioner
- New oil pump chain, sprockets and tensioner
- new Bilstein B8 dampers and eibach springs

Here are a few pictures of the car:

Audi2.jpg

Audi.jpg

Untitled_2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TOM.S, DrStrange, Sean_ and 3 others
Looks well that pal.

Is the cat for the k03 and k04 or k04 only?

Looks well that pal.

Is the cat for the k03 and k04 or k04 only?

Cheers, the cat is for the K03 so I re-drilled the K04 turbo outlet flange to suit the K03 cat

any details on the cat mate, links etc as it's a nightmare trying to find one that isn't £400 from awesomegti for the 034 Motorsport one.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Looks really good SPek9!

Can I ask what you think of the K04 and when it starts to spool?

I'm considering one but worried about getting caught off boost, if I get lazy with the gears. :)

How you finding the car after the K04 upgrade? I'll be looking to go down the K03 Hybird with K04 internals in the near future.

What sort of figures are you running?

How you finding the car after the K04 upgrade? I'll be looking to go down the K03 Hybird with K04 internals in the near future.

What sort of figures are you running?

It's a different car with the new setup, I owned a 320bhp EVO 8 a few years ago and the Audi feels just as potent

The car has had a k04 map loaded and it has been data logged on the road to make sure everything is running safely and will have the final tune this weekend with power figures. Looking at the MAF readings it should be approx 320bhp - 330bhp

Reactions: Sean_
Looks really good SPek9!

Can I ask what you think of the K04 and when it starts to spool?

I'm considering one but worried about getting caught off boost, if I get lazy with the gears. :)

Cheers,

Full boost comes in around 2500rpm so still nice and early for the power that it produces up top and no different from what I have experienced to the K03

I should have a boost graph from data logging that I will try and post up

Reactions: Baka
Looking really good that and I'm with Glen on this one I also like those wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPek9
Here is my boost graph, I have 1 bar of boost by 2500rpm and 1.5bar by 3000rpm and it holds nicely up the revs

Every setup will be different and it depends on the exhaust side, intake side and the map

Boost graph

Reactions: Baka
It's a different car with the new setup, I owned a 320bhp EVO 8 a few years ago and the Audi feels just as potent

The car has had a k04 map loaded and it has been data logged on the road to make sure everything is running safely and will have the final tune this weekend with power figures. Looking at the MAF readings it should be approx 320bhp - 330bhp

Exactly what I wanted to hear! It's something I'm slowly leaning towards, collecting parts and upgrading bits before hand!

Did you upgrade the clutch?

Exactly what I wanted to hear! It's something I'm slowly leaning towards, collecting parts and upgrading bits before hand!

Did you upgrade the clutch?

Yes I fitted a SACHS racing clutch kit and new flywheel rated to over 400 ft.lbs

There is no way the standard clutch would hold the torque with the k04 setup esp with the quattro system putting every bit of power down

The K04 swap does get very expensive, it would scare you if I added up what has been spent on the car

Yes I fitted a SACHS racing clutch kit and new flywheel rated to over 400 ft.lbs

There is no way the standard clutch would hold the torque with the k04 setup esp with the quattro system putting every bit of power down

The K04 swap does get very expensive, it would scare you if I added up what has been spent on the car

I can only imagine! Luckily the K03 Hybrid is a straight bolt in so just need supporting stage 2 mods which I am collecting. Would you have a link to the clutch? Ones that I have been viewing is the stage 1 or 2 JHM clutch for $950 before shipping and taxes which is mental money!

Sorry for all the questions :tearsofjoy: not many people have done the upgrade on their B7.

Thanks for the link! What flywheel did you go for in the end? Would you have to upgrade it, or did you do it for peace of mind?

No problem, i just refreshed it while it was out as the original will have a fair amount of play depending on mileage

I fitted a standard LUK dual mass flywheel

Here is my B7 A4 Avant quattro and a quick spec list of what I have done with the car over the past few months which has transformed the car

-Brand new genuine Aud K04 turbo upgrade, complete with manifold and all oil/water lines
- JHM High flow race cell CAT
- Full Milltek twin cat back exhaust
- Treadstone front mounted intercooler, custom hardpipe kit
- Genuine R8 coilpacks
- Updated PCV
- Updated DV
- S3 injectors
- RS4 fuel return valve
- JHM High pressure fuel pump upgrade
- New cambelt, tensioner and waterpump
- New rear cam chain and tensioner
- New oil pump chain, sprockets and tensioner
- new Bilstein B8 dampers and eibach springs

Here are a few pictures of the car:

Audi2.jpg

Audi.jpg

Untitled_2.jpg

I'm sure I seen these wheels for sale, very similar to those I was looking at a couple of weeks ago. I now I seen them on a B7 I like
Screenshot 2017 05 02 11 58 29

Here is my boost graph, I have 1 bar of boost by 2500rpm and 1.5bar by 3000rpm and it holds nicely up the revs

Every setup will be different and it depends on the exhaust side, intake side and the map

Brilliant thanks! That spools up really nicely.

Reactions: SPek9
Nice spec

I have a b7 avant Quattro with BHZ engine k04

So we're almost the same :)

However I haven't got HPFP yet and still running standard tiny restrictive downpipe.

Where u getting it mapped ?

Nice spec

I have a b7 avant Quattro with BHZ engine k04

So we're almost the same :)

However I haven't got HPFP yet and still running standard tiny restrictive downpipe.

Where u getting it mapped ?

Nice, it's a great setup. The HPFP and bigger downpipe will really help your setup

My tuner is AP-Performance in Galway

Isn't AP Performance a Jap tuner? Did you go there because you have 4WD?

Isn't AP Performance a Jap tuner? Did you go there because you have 4WD?

He can map anything, not just Jap cars and does a seriously good job, attention to detail in his mapping and customer care is why I drive 5 hours each way to Galway

I have been getting my cars tuned at AP-Performance for around 4 years now

He can map anything, not just Jap cars and does a seriously good job, attention to detail in his mapping and customer care is why I drive 5 hours each way to Galway

I have been getting my cars tuned at AP-Performance for around 4 years now

That's unreal I had no idea! I may get onto him in the future when I do go for more power, thanks!

After a successful trip to Galway for tuning, the Audi is now making 325bhp on 97octane fuel, it's a pity we can't get 99octane or it would have made closer to 350. Torque was well over 300ft.lbs and on a realistic Dyno Dynamics rolling road

The power delivery is very smooth and I couldn't be happier with the car. Even tho I drive the car like a granny 95% of the time it's nice to have the power if I need it

I will get a copy of the dyno printout

IMG 5771

Reactions: DrStrange, Sean_, Dani_B19 and 2 others
Pretty good figures!
Do you have any details on the DV relocation youl have done for the ko4?

Im hoping to go down the same route at some point. I currently running a southbend clutch with 034 solid flywheel.

Pretty good figures!

Im hoping to go down the same route at some point. I currently running a southbend clutch with 034 solid flywheel.
Hello mate how is the solid flywheel?? Looking to convert mine soon. any rattles??

Pretty good figures!

I made up custom alloy boost pipes and got them tig welded to suit my front mounted Intercooler. The DV flange is welded onto the boost pipe before the throttle body.

IMG 5605
IMG 5607

Hello mate how is the solid flywheel?? Looking to convert mine soon. any rattles??
Yep rattles like a bitch on low RPM. idle its just as quiet as OEM (possibly, I've got non res milltek cat back and decat so mines not quiet by any means!) Mine had quite a long bedding in period where it would slip with any kind of boost. This is normal so don't be alarmed if you go down that route. Setting off from hills you have to get used to also due to the lighter flywheel but its no biggie.

I made up custom alloy boost pipes and got them tig welded to suit my front mounted Intercooler. The DV flange is welded onto the boost pipe before the throttle body.

View attachment 127815 View attachment 127816

Looks awesome, I need to find someone to make me a set haha!

I can only imagine! Luckily the K03 Hybrid is a straight bolt in so just need supporting stage 2 mods which I am collecting. Would you have a link to the clutch? Ones that I have been viewing is the stage 1 or 2 JHM clutch for $950 before shipping and taxes which is mental money!

Sorry for all the questions :tearsofjoy: not many people have done the upgrade on their B7.

Sorry to butt in but where will you be sourcing your hybrid Sean, considering the k04 upgrade but would prefer the bolt in option myself but cant find much info on recommended suppliers and don't like wasting my hard earned cash.

Sorry to butt in but where will you be sourcing your hybrid Sean, considering the k04 upgrade but would prefer the bolt in option myself but cant find much info on recommended suppliers and don't like wasting my hard earned cash.

Beach Buggy Turbos do bolt in hybrids for transverse engines like our A4's, that's what I'll be doing and it's completely Plug & play! All we need is the supporting mods then

I roughly remember it was somewhere between £750-£950. Cant remember exact figure as it was a while back. Ive just been working on getting everything else done first and leaving turbo/injectors til last.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Yep, Cant go wrong with BBT. They literally offer a plug and play hybrid as Sean mentions.

a VERY popular upgrade for the 1.8 and 2.0t transverse 'crew' but also offer for longitudinal engines like ours.

Reactions: Sean_
Last time I checked they were £1150, a good bit up from what they used to be which was £850! Think they've been upgraded slightly, that one should make 350bhp easily, they have a 400bhp+ available but is a bit more expensive!

I'll be going for the 350bhp one as the fuel over in this shithole (Ireland) is terrible as we don't do super unleaded so I'd be lucky to see past 320bhp I'd say ☹️

Last time I checked they were £1150, a good bit up from what they used to be which was £850! Think they've been upgraded slightly, that one should make 350bhp easily, they have a 400bhp+ available but is a bit more expensive!

I'll be going for the 350bhp one as the fuel over in this shithole (Ireland) is terrible as we don't do super unleaded so I'd be lucky to see past 320bhp I'd say ☹️

Ouch that is quite an increase! Do BUL engines need any internals doing when going above 350?