A4 B6 Cruise Control retro-fit - advice please

Ferg

Reaction score
Hello

Has anyone successfully retro-fitted a cruise control system to their A4 B6 - is this even possible ?

I like the car and don't really feel there is much missing, with the one exception of cruise control, which I have always used extensively, up until now !

Thanks

If you require a supply/fit solution, please send me a pm.

There's guides here on that.
Just search 'audi a4 b6 cruise/dis retrofit..
I've retrofitted the dis on mine from that guide.. Easy to understand what to do too.. Some of them even have pictures so you know exactly what to do..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ferg
There's guides here on that.
Just search 'audi a4 b6 cruise/dis retrofit..
I've retrofitted the dis on mine from that guide.. Easy to understand what to do too.. Some of them even have pictures so you know exactly what to do..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thank you

I probably would if I had any idea how to, I'm a newbie on this forum
Send Nigel (nhn) a message. Hi to top right of the page. Where your name is, hover over it, box drops down you looking for start new conversation. Click that. Put a recipient in, then title, then conversation. When finished press start conversation and that's you sent a pm

Send Nigel (nhn) a message. Hi to top right of the page. Where your name is, hover over it, box drops down you looking for start new conversation. Click that. Put a recipient in, then title, then conversation. When finished press start conversation and that's you sent a pm

Thanks Sandra. I saw all that, but with no mention of pm and other clubs using 'pm' as the option, I wasn't sure it was the same thing, Doh !

Reactions: Sandra
Ian, I've retro fitted CC. was ready enough. Just need to follow the guide, use vcds to code it in and hope it is then working. You need to know if you have the correct module first though, that would be the first thing to do. A vcds scan would tell you this.

Do you have DIS? Driver info screen, with the buttons on the wiper stalk?

Ian, I've retro fitted CC. was ready enough. Just need to follow the guide, use vcds to code it in and hope it is then working. You need to know if you have the correct module first though, that would be the first thing to do. A vcds scan would tell you this.

Do you have DIS? Driver info screen, with the buttons on the wiper stalk?

Hi, thanks for the reply and yes I have DIS

there seems to be a lot of coding required. is that needed?

In my VW all i had to do was go into a module and flick a switch from OFF to ON.

there seems to be a lot of coding required. is that needed?

In my VW all i had to do was go into a module and flick a switch from OFF to ON.

Yes. You need to tell the steering module and the abs module that cruise control is fitted. You also have to reset the steering angle.

I followed the instructions and had done in under 2 hours.

Reactions: Izzy1
Hi, thanks for the reply and yes I have DIS

If you have DIS then maybe (but doubtful) that you have the high line or even medium steering module. First thing is find someone local and get a vcds scan just to see which part number you have for the steering module.

Or just call audi with your chassis number and ask for the part number.. That's what I used to do before VCDS..

Semedo_B6

Or just call audi with your chassis number and ask for the part number.. That's what I used to do before VCDS..

Semedo_B6

Just waiting for the V5 to arrive, but that sounds like a plan (the car isn't with me at the moment), thanks.

Will be fitting mine sometime soon. I have the kit from Mike, and have VCDS and have the right steering module. Just need to find a few hours to do it!

Anyone could shed some light on my problem?
I seen that you can have displayed on your dis incoming calls and track playing info. I've done the coding and it still not working.. (I was kind of expecting this.)
My head unit it's an aftermarket one with Bluetooth.
I don't have audi head unit, rsn-e or audi Bluetooth..
Is any way to have the info on the dis with an aftermarket head unit?

Semedo_B6

Anyone could shed some light on my problem?
I seen that you can have displayed on your dis incoming calls and track playing info. I've done the coding and it still not working.. (I was kind of expecting this.)
My head unit it's an aftermarket one with Bluetooth.
I don't have audi head unit, rsn-e or audi Bluetooth..
Is any way to have the info on the dis with an aftermarket head unit?

Semedo_B6

I would think you need stock Audi unit to show these on the DIS.

I have rns-e, no bluetooth, but the nav directions and radio station show up on my DIS

I've installed my CC stalk but was totally confused with how to code it. Anyone local to Birmingham that can code it for me or give me an idiots guide?

Ask in the vcds forum, or use the vcds map and ask a member on here.

The guide is pretty straight forward though, it tells you what steps to do and how to do it. Can be daunting if not used vcds before though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Had mine done last week. Must make sure your steering module is not F or S type. I had to get an L or M from ebay, and then coding was done at garage for 20 quid. But don't do my mistake and put the original slip ring back on, as the abs coding won't stick, keeps throwing code back to zeros after ignition turned off!! Silly mistake. But took me a day to figure itt out!
Now cruise works fine.

Ask in the vcds forum, or use the vcds map and ask a member on here.

The guide is pretty straight forward though, it tells you what steps to do and how to do it. Can be daunting if not used vcds before though.

i don't have VCDS. i have vagcom. where can i get VCDS from?

O think it's the same thing.. I think that vagcom changed its name to VCDS.. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong..

Semedo_B6

O think it's the same thing.. I think that vagcom changed its name to VCDS.. I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong..

Semedo_B6
This is correct. Vag-com change to vcds (maybe vag com dealer services? Not sure on that).

You'll need the most recent version, basically not a knock off 11.11 version from eBay for a few quid. The coding didn't stick for another member with a Chinese fake, had to use an original.

^^
That.. I seen a member here saying that he couldn't code his car with a fake one..
Better to get the original and every time you need it you'll have it handy..

Semedo_B6

It's not about getting a copy. The licence is in the cable. The cable can be purchased officially through ilexa or gendan - there are others found here http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

The official cable is around £270. If all you wanted it for was CC, I would ask a member on the vcds map forum to code it for you.

Great information here everyone. I just fitted a cruise control module to my A4 and the install went well it's just the coding I'm having some issue with, would really appreciate some help.
Had mine done last week. Must make sure your steering module is not F or S type. I had to get an L or M from ebay, and then coding was done at garage for 20 quid. But don't do my mistake and put the original slip ring back on, as the abs coding won't stick, keeps throwing code back to zeros after ignition turned off!! Silly mistake. But took me a day to figure itt out!
Now cruise works fine.
I'm using VCDS-Lite to code and have this issue also that it keeps on resorting back to zero after its been changed, but I also have ABS and brake lights some solid some flashing on the dash that I just can not clear. And what exactly is the slip ring? Will this solve my issue?
Yes. You need to tell the steering module and the abs module that cruise control is fitted. You also have to reset the steering angle.
Is this step absolutely necessary (and can it be done with VCDS-Lite)? as I have had the cruise control working fine, but as Leo said it keeps on resorting itself back to zero which I cant find a solution to. I thought it maybe down to having a second hand module and not learning it the cars VIN number (which I know is beyond VCDS-Lite) but the dealer that supplied me with the cruise module says that this is not essential to do anyway.

This is the cable I am using and it works fine with VCDS-Lite

If you've changed the steering module, the abs module needs coding to match the cars installed equipment & pr codes in the label either in the boot wheel area or inside page of the service book, then it's 01 engine & 16 steering module.

Takes a few times to take & if the module doesn't recognise the correct code it will go back to zero.

Takes a few times to take & if the module doesn't recognise the correct code it will go back to zero.
Thanks for the reply

That's interesting you say they need a few times to take, I thought I had this sussed yesterday just by accident, I kept trying and it kept on going back to 00000 every time but eventually, it did switch to my correct codes and seem to stick. The login was 09555 and the codes were 04255 WSC06435. I was having no luck getting them to change, but I tried it one more time last night and it did stick, however, I've checked this morning and it's gone back to 00000 :( That's why I wondered about this slip ring thing? as for the dash lights, I can't get those to clear at all :(

Dash lights will not clear until abs coding is resolved.

You need to login with the code relative to your car then code it with the same code relative to your car, check the label I've advised for your pr codes.

ok thanks, and those are the relevant codes for my car, I will just keep trying, I'm not sure why it doesn't just reset tho. I've got the ESP light up now as well :( My dash is looking very colourful if nothing else. But at least I got cruise control now :)

Seriously though I hope I can clear these lights somehow, lights like this on the dash are so annoying.

Does anyone have any other ideas, they would be much appreciated. I have tried switching the ignition off after coding, and also just going back to the main menu way once I've done it. I can recode it once logged in and even clear the faults but it keeps switching back when its switched off or if just going back to the main VCDS menu, but then log back into ABS and its 00000 again, so frustrating :(

https://flic.kr/p/2iXdXpk