A4 B6/B7 LED dipped beam conversion - installation and review (H7)

DrStrange

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience as I could be the first person to do this. (trawling the web I havent found any reviews on our cars up until now)

To me, lighting is very important, both internal and external. Lets face it, our cars are 10+ years old so updating the lights are always a GREAT mod for keeping the car 'current'.

Ive been through plenty of sets of cheap £20 6000k HID's and whilst i was happy with the lighting output was getting seriously p*ssed off with the bulbs and ballasts always failing every 3 months. Usually yes..you get what you pay for.

What you need

So for a year or so I have been eyeing up the development in LED headlight conversions and seeing if its practical to convert my B6 cab too. Finally decided to give it a go.

As some of us know, simply changing the incandescent H7 bulb to an LED one is a BAD idea! The lighting power is shockingly bad and it may also throw 'bulb out' errors on your car's DIS.

So, i did my homework to find out how to overcome the 2 issues above.

Firstly - You will need an LED conversion kit, not simply the LED replacement bulbs. This consists of and LED bulb, some sort of cooling mechanism and lump in the middle..being the ballast. Very similar to the HID Xenon kit but LED instead. I recommend, buying a kit with at least 3200 Lumens per bulb. This basically means the lighting output of LED technology. If the manufacturer/company you purchased it from are telling the truth, 3200 lumens are good power!

Secondly - Some LED conversion kits claim to be canbus compatible thus not showing an error of a bulb out on the car's display. The reason this actually happens is LED lighting is generally lower power draw than incandescen bulbs so you can get better lighting output with less draw! At the expense of you DIS thinking that your car has a dead or faulty bulb. So, dont take this chance and simply purchase a H7 load resistor to essentially 'fool' the cars canbus system into working perfectly.

What I Purchased

Whats important is to get the dimensions of your LED conversion kit and complete light housing correct. Some LED conversion kits are so tall and long, they simply dont fit inside the light housing or you would need to drill a hole in the lid or remove the lid completely.

So, I decided to purchase a kit which was as short as possilbe which had (supposedly new technology) metal ribbons for heat dissipation as opposed to a chunky colling fan at the bottom. This would also likely not fit as well as the 2 metal 'pins' that hold the bulb in place. Also, the good thing about metal ribbons, is you can bend them round to fit within our cars headlight housing.

LEDS;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60W-6400L...617339?hash=item236de5933b:g:DJMAAOSwHoFXtVHJ

Error Cancellors;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H7-50W...688982?hash=item3d29f15d56:g:ePMAAOSwnbZYFNKR

Marrying it all up, I switched on the ignition, turned on the lights and was chuffed to see the results. Full working LED H7 Headlights no errors.

Review

Ive had the set now for over a month with no issues. Have stress tested them in the sense that ive switched them on and off with quick succession many times and seem to be rock solid. The 'boot up' time is great. They come on immedaitely and just 'appear' when your turn that switch.

LED lights are angular so there is a sharp cut off line which I quite like. You can of course point them more down using your level system. Personal preference.

Negatives

1 - As the small light diodes are small and directional, when you look at your headlight when with the lights on, you will be able to see a H pattern as the LED's are both sides of the plastic housing the small lights are glued to. This is not so bad but just not a full beam pattern spread across the road. However in practise, you can notice this when you are looking 20metres in the distance sat behind your steering wheel.

2 - The lighting output is very good but dont expect it to be in line with new Mercedes and Audi OLED lighting which is stupildy bright. However, for around £30 all in, you cant go wrong.

I hope this starts a trend and has been useful.

Dan.

Pics and Vid below.

B6 Cab LED H7s 2
B6 Cab LED H7s 3
B6 Cab LED H7s 4
B6 Cab LED H7s

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk860bfakut8kml/B6 Cab LED H7's Video.MOV?dl=0

(Vid isnt very good as it was taken from my sh*t iphone)

Reactions: Mr_Dude, Turbo Tony, A4hybrid and 2 others
I'm liking this Dan, have been looking at this kit for the cab as the lighting isn't bad but isn't great.

Liked it, so I just ordered it.

Last edited:
Had to use the B6 tonight and have just realised how poor my OEM xenons are compared to my A class Merc, seems a nice mod you have done there, hope it continues to be a success for you.

I'm liking this Dan, have been looking at this kit for the cab as the lighting isn't bad but isn't great.

Liked it, so I just ordered it.

Thanks Jonni. Love LED technology so Im very pleased so far.

Just checked out your link. Looks decent enough to be honest. Just make sure there is a good warranty behind this kit because I find the ballasts are prone to failure especially if this company buys from a cheap chinese manufacturer.

Had to use the B6 tonight and have just realised how poor my OEM xenons are compared to my A class Merc, seems a nice mod you have done there, hope it continues to be a success for you.

Thanks Matt!

Isnt it just?! All new Mercs have fantastic lighting power and a very clean and crisp light.

Thats why I wanted to have something that rivals your A class. I concede, its still not as good but may another set in future will be!

:)

Thanks Jonni. Love LED technology so Im very pleased so far.

Just checked out your link. Looks decent enough to be honest. Just make sure there is a good warranty behind this kit because I find the ballasts are prone to failure especially if this company buys from a cheap chinese manufacturer.

I didn't buy the Bi-xenon kit, went for the same as you .... for less than £30 you can't really go wrong just need to source some led side lights & fog lights & lamin-x now.

I didn't buy the Bi-xenon kit, went for the same as you .... for less than £30 you can't really go wrong just need to source some led side lights & fog lights & lamin-x now.

Oh i see. The link doesnt show LED's.

True, you really cant. Also you have to factor in I have slightly tinted headlights so the LED's will be a fraction better than what my pictures show.

LED side lights that are lovely and bright and ARE can-bus compatible; (I found these to be the best)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-ERROR-...035424?hash=item43aa200aa0:g:MhgAAOxyrUZRyZdx

Will these go through MOT? Do they have the xenon flicker when they are switched on?

100% pass! Thesre are fantastic and flicker free. They boot up instantly. The second you turn that light switch, ''ping'' and they're on!

Reactions: technics100
Fitted these today during my lunch break, literally took 15 minutes to do both sides. The difference over stock is superb & like Dan says they are fantastic with no delay in turning on.
Now just waiting on my Night breakers to arrive for full beam & to source some led fog lights ( any recommendations ?)

hi

did you get any radio interference with these LED's?
there are a few other threads about LED headlights that had issues with the radio not working after fitting
cheers
m

I dont see why this would effect the radio as the antenna system is at the back of the car and the cable is also shielded.

Reactions: DrStrange
some of the cheaper LED drivers are cheap for a reason, they miss out internal components that filter out electrical noise from being injected onto the 12v supply, this can then affect other components, such as the radio,
there is a thread on the 8L forum about this at the moment.
its a similar issue to the cheap HID ballasts that caused all sorts of issues on the electrics

The LED's linked on this thread look to be very good value, not much more than decent halogens, I'm wondering if they are going to be noisy. Dr S has not said anything about interference so I'm assuming its not a problem

I've had no radio/noise interference problems with this kit ....

Looks good Dan. I'm still happy with my 5000k HIDs. They give me enough light.

Just to mention as well, I had cheap Chinese HIDs in the Scooby, and had no radio cos of it!! They can interfere!

good to know about the lack of noise,
as one of the dips died over the weekend I think I'll order a set of the LED's

needs a bit of work as the dust cover on the back of the headlight is pretty tight up the bulbs

Fan
Fitted these today during my lunch break, literally took 15 minutes to do both sides. The difference over stock is superb & like Dan says they are fantastic with no delay in turning on.
Now just waiting on my Night breakers to arrive for full beam & to source some led fog lights ( any recommendations ?)

Fantastic and good to hear. You move fast :)

I've got some awesome LED fogs too which is in my build thread. If you cant locate it, I will send you the link. They also require the resisitor but as you know, no bother really.

Looks good Dan. I'm still happy with my 5000k HIDs. They give me enough light.

Just to mention as well, I had cheap Chinese HIDs in the Scooby, and had no radio cos of it!! They can interfere!

Thanks Dude. Yeah to be fair if it aint broke dont fix it!

Yes ive heard that HID's can effect radio but not with these bad boys at all! no interference whatso ever.

good to know about the lack of noise,
as one of the dips died over the weekend I think I'll order a set of the LED's

needs a bit of work as the dust cover on the back of the headlight is pretty tight up the bulbs

Yes mate. No 'noise' caused. Literally plug and play with the lights + error resistors. I have LED everything upfront apart from main beams which im not fussed over.

No work required with my linked LED H7's as the heat dissipating 'ribbons' can be bent around the light housing thus tucking under the dust cover.
Other LED's with fans would be too bulky and not fit I think.

ok, that's good to know. I have them on order so i'll have a little play when they arrive

Hi. Was following this thread as just got to the time of year when lights are needed for morning and evening commute and my stock lights are so bad. I have a 2004 Avant and didn't need the error cancellation parts as my DIS doesn't have dipped beam bulb warning . Not sure if this is true of all B6's Got my bulbs for £22 posted. Not been on an unlit road yet to properly test out but look nice when stationary.

Cheers for heads up on the bulbs

Hi. Was following this thread as just got to the time of year when lights are needed for morning and evening commute and my stock lights are so bad. I have a 2004 Avant and didn't need the error cancellation parts as my DIS doesn't have dipped beam bulb warning . Not sure if this is true of all B6's Got my bulbs for £22 posted. Not been on an unlit road yet to properly test out but look nice when stationary.

Cheers for heads up on the bulbs

Hi Dude, no worries for the above, you're welcome.

Bit confused though..

Are you saying your 2004 B6 Avant doesnt have a warning light showing up on the DIS when the bulbs are out? They should do.

Basically, the reason why the Error Cancellors are needed (Not 100% sure though) is to trick the cars Can-bus system into thinking you are running the required current to the H7 Headlights. These LED's are lower power draw and without the Error cancellors the car will think there are no lights at all or a 'faulty' bulb.

Hi Dude, no worries for the above, you're welcome.

Bit confused though..

Are you saying your 2004 B6 Avant doesnt have a warning light showing up on the DIS when the bulbs are out? They should do.

Basically, the reason why the Error Cancellors are needed (Not 100% sure though) is to trick the cars Can-bus system into thinking you are running the required current to the H7 Headlights. These LED's are lower power draw and without the Error cancellors the car will think there are no lights at all or a 'faulty' bulb.

Yes Drstrange it is indeed strange

My car doesnt show bulbs out. One of the H7 dipped beams blew a few days after a bought the LED bulbs but no bulb out warning on DIS. I've a 2004 sport 1.9TDI. Reg July 04. I cant recall if any other bulb has ever brought on a bulb out warning but dipped beam doesnt so didnt wire in the error cancellors as not needed.

Cheers

I've never heard of your scenario where a bulb out on a B6 A4 does NOT have an error on the DIS as all the A4's come with Can-bus technology.

Definitely worth creating a separate post for this and having one of the guys on here offer their opinion if its wirth it to you.

Otherwise, I think you're all set so leave it and enjoy the drive :)

Just ordered a set of the above.. as my HID's are about 10 years old and not lighting every time and throwing bulb errors.. will see how they compare..

Fingers crossed for you Technics.

If there is anything I can recommend, its.... please please wrap up the Error cancellors in foil or some form of heat wrap.

Ive noticed they get HOT and have slightly melted the surrounding plastic housing.

I've never heard of your scenario where a bulb out on a B6 A4 does NOT have an error on the DIS as all the A4's come with Can-bus technology.

Definitely worth creating a separate post for this and having one of the guys on here offer their opinion if its wirth it to you.

Otherwise, I think you're all set so leave it and enjoy the drive :)
Mine still runs on Dual K-line. There is a cut off in 2002 then the A4 became CAN. So I dont get light errors.
And I am now running these LED lights too. Without cancellers.

Fingers crossed for you Technics.

If there is anything I can recommend, its.... please please wrap up the Error cancellors in foil or some form of heat wrap.

Ive noticed they get HOT and have slightly melted the surrounding plastic housing.

Thanks, where have you installed the cancellors? are they inside the headlights? I currently have a 20mm hole in the rear of the light to feed to HID wire through, so may leave that open to help dissipate the heat..

Beware the resistor's run very hot! Only fitted them yesterday,they have nearly burned through the wires. Not safe in my opinion. Be careful they are dangerous.

Last edited:
Guys,

Yes please do take caution as the Resistors do run very hot.

I would suggest wrapping the resistors. They have slighlty melted a tiny bit of the plastic housing they rest in.

Technics: I too have a hole in my headlight cover from previous HID's but the particular one (LED kits) ive got in the above post's link do not need to be fed through the hole. As in, the complete kit inside the headlight housing. There is enough room.

Have taken mine out and will just have to put up with the bulb failure light on the dash panel. Bulbs have a good output thought just don't fancy the risk of the car catching fire!

It does state on the error cancel resistor packet that they get hot!!!!

Regarding the lack of bulb warning on DIS. I'm not that bothered by it. I did think it weird. Can it be switched off with VCDS?

Now tested my bulbs in the dark. Unfotunately light output seems no better than old H7's. I may try twisting bulbs through 90' to see if that helps.

Noted all above.

I think if you heat wrap it it well be perfectly fine.

To be honest, Im so fussy the idea of 'bulb out' on DIS will p*ss me off royaly.

Personaally, i found them to be much better than stock halogen and brighter. Not by miles but better still.

I've order a set from the link in Drstrange's first post. Going to try them out on wife's Citreon C3 first to see if I like them better than my HID's that I have fitted to the Audi.

well, the LED bulbs arrived last week, pretty quick service from china
first issue is that there are two spade connectors, same size, but no indication as to which one is 12v or earth,
quick email to seller got a response in one day, black lead is 12v, impressed with speed of response

did a trail fit and as suspected the heat sink does not quite fit under the dust cover.

been trawling the web for some diecast ali project boxes, but need to be pretty shallow, as there is not much room between the dust cover and battery box. Found some that are 25mm tall, that might just fit

i'll order these and have a play after Christmas

/m

I fitted mine, just guessed the black 12v wire and worked fine.. I would say the light output isn't great.. not as good as my HID kit... agree that the heat sink is tight to the back of the light too.. might go back to HIDS.. as the A4 lights are awful!!

Happy New Year all!

Newbster - Hopefully you're all sorted now?

Tehnics1000 - glad you got it working but sorry you're not so impressed. I've been quite critical of mine and still after months, I personally am happy. I've also got a tint film over my headlights and the lighting output is better than anything ive had thus far...HID and stock halogen. Granted, i also have LED fogs which i switch on at night (most nights) so the lighting output for me is good. May look in the future of even higher Lumen kits but for now, im sorted.

Got the error cancellers fitted, I actually left them outside the headlight and pulled the wires through the whole left for the HID's.. will keep them for the time being..