A4 B6 3.0 V6 - Head Gasket

dick101

Reaction score
Dear 3.0L B6 owners,
I have an A4 Avant 3.0L quattro that I have owned almost from new-75K miles. I really like the car- fast, solid, no touchscreens.
Recently I have symptoms of a head gasket failure - some coolant loss, steam out the exhaust on startup. Once, I had an apparent hydraulic lock that stopped the starter turning. So I tried first Steel Seal, then K-Seal Ultimate in the coolant, very carefully with plenty of flushing. The K-Seal appears to have worked for now- no coolant loss. But I see this as a temporary fix- and am looking at a head gasket replacement. Although I do most work on the car myself, that job would be too much.
Is there anybody that has had a headgasket(s) replacement done on this engine - was it successful- did it last - were there any complications ?
I would really like to know

Regards
Dick101 (London UK0

It's just a v6 mate, plenty of garages would have done it. What you tend to find nowadays is people don't bother and shift on or scrap their motors when it happens, but if you like the car get it done.

My advice would be find an Audi independent garage as they will have the correct tools without the Audi dealer price tag.

It's just a v6 mate, plenty of garages would have done it. What you tend to find nowadays is people don't bother and shift on or scrap their motors when it happens, but if you like the car get it done.

My advice would be find an Audi independent garage as they will have the correct tools without the Audi dealer price tag.

Dear Stonedofmoo
Thanks for your encouraging advice . You're right - if a car is 'worth' maybe £3K , and the repair is going to cost £1.5K then the temptation is to let it go. I have used a very good Audi independent for some years, but even he seemed less than keen to do the head gaskets on the ASN engine. I guess he has more profitable use of his (scarce) mechanics' time doing regular servicing. Yes - I will get it fixed - I just hope the repair lasts when it is done.
Regards
dick101

Reactions: Stonedofmoo
Hi Dick101, by any chance are you the same guy as the username "Dickar" aka Alex? If so, do you still own NC54WRU?

If so, please have a look at my post:

I'm genuinely looking for an A4 3.0 V6 Quattro, however seems to be incredibly hard to find. I know yours has been damaged written off in the past, but that doesn't put me off. Its a very long shot, but I thought I would give it a try.

Cheers!

Hi Dick101, by any chance are you the same guy as the username "Dickar" aka Alex? If so, do you still own NC54WRU?

If so, please have a look at my post:

I'm genuinely looking for an A4 3.0 V6 Quattro, however seems to be incredibly hard to find. I know yours has been damaged written off in the past, but that doesn't put me off. Its a very long shot, but I thought I would give it a try.

Cheers!
Dear ads 1986,
NC54 WRU wasn't my car, I am sorry . My A4 V6 Quattro has been repaired now, successfully. Two new head gaskets, a terrific job by Renn Auto in Iver Buckinghamshire. The parts cost for the repair was high at £750, - but the car is lot smoother now, and I am really pleased to have it back.
Audi V6 Quattros B6s, still turn-up regularly on Autotrader and eBay, but tend to have high mileage. They are lovely cars, no screens, no complicated emission control systems, no turbos. And they go well.
So keep looking - one will show up soon enough.
Best regards

Hi Dick101, very long shot once again (hope you don't mind). Are you by any chance considering selling your A4 in the next few months? Completely factory spec 3.0 B6's are quite hard to find, especially ones which have actually been cared for. Hence still genuinely interested in yours.