a4 b6 1.8t update...12yr old car...good or not.. owned for two months.

richard hare

Reaction score
thanks for reading..a4 b6 2003 1.8t ltd bfb engine bought on 130000 miles in November 2014.now on 140000..
driven the bejesus out of it to London and back every day from Weston super mare..
after reading through the forum for some time I realised there is a lot of niggly probs with audis..so after a few miles and I wouldn't say driving like a nun. I thought I would update on my expereance with my first audi..
(god I don't want to put a hex on this)..first the good..
good...
interior..solid as a lump of granite not a squeak or groan on any road condition(roads are bad in Weston)
genuine nice place to be in the leather..
ride comfort..and handling
good...considering its a sport model it seems to glide along the bad roads but still let you know when the road has deteriorated(high manhole covers and pot holes ect.) but doesn't make a fuss and break your back....seats probably help and the michelin tyres..(had Pirellis on before...noticeable difference)..
not so good...
heavy steering on the tight corners or roundabouts(understand this is audi characteristic)..might be the Michelins though... live with it...
engine...
good..
bfb 163...with the mileage its got full survice history cam belt @110000....so far no probs...
replaced the lower coolant temp sensor as it was throwing up the code..
replaced coolant...oil and filter.....strong on boost..peaks at just over 1bar and drops to 0.8 bar..guage fitted..
not so good...
its 163bhp in quite a heavy car...pulls well on turbo boost about 2500-5000rpm.. but before hand it feels quite lethargic (I think a remap would sort this...concerns over mileage though...opinions welcome)
running on v power its getting about 30mpg around town...
high clutch biting point but still pulls well in 2nd from stand still(no slipping)..
anyway long winded but its my first experience with audi and I have to say im very impressed (saying that im coming from a ford)..
oh and i cant get the standard ****** stereo out....cheers...richard

forgot to mention a little bit rattly on first start but goes after 2 minuits (again I think this is common)...

sounds like you have just described my car mate, only difference is mine is 2004/54 plate 125,000 miles. mine had oil and coolant leak when I got it. fixed coolant leak yesterday (coolant flange). waiting for part to fix oil leak (cam tensioner gasket). your right about lack of power, I think car is quite heavy for 163bhp.mine is quite noisy until it warms up but as you said I think this is normal. im probably going to look at a remap but I want to do the bodywork and wheels first. despite having a bit of work to do I still think these are great cars.

I would take the oil sump off and clean or replace the strainer before it takes your engine or turbo out..

I would take the oil sump off and clean or replace the strainer before it takes your engine or turbo out..
That's right if its been on longlife it will be vital.I have seen the state a 120k S3 was in

That's right if its been on longlife it will be vital.I have seen the state a 120k S3 was in
Can you tell me how I would know if this needed doing to my mine mate. what signs should I be looking out for.thanks

There wont be any signs until the oil starvation gets critical and then its too late.The pick up pipe gets clogged too easily and becomes a right mess.My son and his S3 mates have all done this and I helped.His had been on longlife which makes it worse but has been OK since and of course has frequent oil changes.I have an 01 Bora 1.8T similar 130k but it has never been on longlife and has had lots of oil changes.Only cost £700 so I am hoping it will be OK

The rattle on start up should go within a few seconds not minutes as the oil is pumped up to the top of the engine .....if it takes a couple of minutes then I would be looking at the pick up pipe asap, as it sounds clogged up to me.

No rattles from the Bora;so that's good to know

Mines nearly on 110k and its remapped. Soon to be treated to a new hybrid turbo running 280bhp

I picked up a non-runner A4 (engine bust due to failed oil pump) got a shock at the price of a new BFB engine.

not worth taking any changes bud, get it cleaned :)

V nice cars though, good points outweigh the bad!!