A4 b5 turbo replacement 1.8t

Andy avant b5

Reaction score
Hi everyone going to replace my turbo with a bex turbo just how hard a job is it any advice tips or a step by step guide would be much appreciated hopefully it's something I can do I am no mechanic but have changed breaks on it serviced it fitted coliovers so am OK with a set of spanners lol

Buy new bolts for the turbo, the old ones will often snap when taking them out. You will need new gaskets too, for the manifold, turbo and downpipe.

You'll need a good toolkit, theres a few awkward bolts to get at, including the ones holding the downpipe/cat on.

OK cheers mate running out of patients trying to find a bex turbo lol

You don’t need to touch the downpipe, just remove the three cat nuts and once you have the turbo free slide it forward and off the cat. For the bottom nut on the cat I cut a 17 mm spanner in half,
put it on the nut and slide another ring spanner over the end and pull it up. Sometimes the nut will slacken off and sometimes the nut and stud come off together.
4e3c79b20d7b1906353e10d7943a12e0.jpg

I’ve never replaced the manifold gasket or the manifold to turbo gasket with zero problems but I would replace the turbo to cat gasket though
This is a job I’ve done lots of times so any problems just ask.
I finally got a larger exhaust manifold so I hope to be changing that soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate may need your help never done a turbo before good news about the manifold is it a bex one

Well I don’t know but it’s certainly bigger than the one I have, it’s off a B5 1.8 t but might have been an aftermarket upgrade.

372e1b2c03a656df3eca08ce5400a4d0.jpg

This is it, looks much chunkier than mine.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
That's a lot bigger looks like mine are you porting it

Remove airbox and turbo inlet pipe, oil and water feed pipes, three bolts to turbo and three nuts to catalytic converter. Go easy with turbo bolts, use plus gas or similar and undo them when there’s still heat in them.
Now from underneath remove oil drain to sump pipe and the water return to block pipe, that should leave the turbo support bar and it should be free after that.

Fingers crossed it will make a noticeable difference.

Lol sounds easy knowing my luck something will go wrong still looking out for the turbo

Luckily you don’t have SAIP, so it’s easier. It’s

Secondary air injection pump, for emissions. It pumps air into the exhaust manifold on start up to heat the cat up quicker.

Just the standard one but I’ve opened up the hot side with a tungsten carbide burr. Will probably refit the spare hot side when I get the other manifold on and see how it goes. Need to get the broken bolt out of it first though.

B6 mate, had a B5 with 1.8 n/a a while ago.

Brakes were lethal, like a light switch but once used to them they were

That's good mate my breaks are fine I did the 312mm upgrade

Mine are 312 not sure if it’s standard on quattro?

I’m guessing you haven’t fitted your BEX exhaust manifold yet Andy?

No not yet waiting on the turbo got the injectors too

If you change it now then it will be easier when your changing the turbo as you’ll have tackled the three manifold to turbo bolts.

I would, will give you some benefit till you source a turbo. I’d be interested to see side by side comparison of the manifolds.

Will give it ago at the weekend don't know might heat wrap it

Reactions: QuattroCalum
I wish I had a quattro front wheel drive is not good this time of year I think once I get 240bhp could be a handful in the wet does anyone recommend some good tyres for the front is there any downside to a quattro over a front wheel drive

Last edited:
Not 100% on B5 but B6 is bolt on conversion if you can get rear subframe, diff, propshaft and gearbox, downsides, a little thirstier other than that, hell no

On a B5 the rear floorpan is completely different, simply not feasible to convert.

You should have good tyres all round. Otherwise you'll end up in a hedge backwards.

Goodyear Eagle F1's are my preferred option. They're at the cheaper end of the premium brands, perform extremely well, and also last a good time.

I am looking into a tfsi turbo from a s3 with a adapter plate just need to get info on it ie easy too do how much power

Reactions: QuattroCalum
Thanks for the reply just read it I think it's a bit to much for me

Does anyone know if a 1.8t intercooler kit for a 1.8t cupra r will fit a a4 b5 1.8t
Don't mind doing some modifying to it but is it possible cheers