A4 b5 short shifter

Andy avant b5

Reaction score
Hi there am looking at short shifters online just how easy are they to fit and do they really make a difference cheers

May have too pay someone to do it looks a bit of a nightmare

I think if you watch a video on YouTube it doesn't look that complicated. I would give it a go, as i normally find garages charge more for making mods rather than repairs..imo

Very true mate think are give it a go what's the worst than can happen

If it's anything like the one on my b6 it doesn't reduce the throw much (if at all; thing with these kits is they're marginally shorter for one model/version of car but not all), is a pain to fit and to be honest it's one of the few mods I actually wish I hadn't done as the selection of gears is now more vague (for lack of a better word) like it's more notchy but has less feel if that makes sense

If your anywhere near Birmingham feel free to come down and wrap your hands around my knob to feel what I'm talking about, you can put your hands on the gearstick too if you like :playful: couldn't resist but honestly the mod really was a pain for me and the garage did mine, also posted this thread (with video) http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/short-shifter-install-fail.322189/ for how they left it misaligned, sorted that in the end but I'm still not over the moon with it. Can see the throw distance in the video too.

Lol I am down south so too far too come and inspect your gear knob lol I brought it so going to give it a go and see how it feels

I have a short shifter it went from 7 cm to 4 cm made a nicer drive. it's easy to swap out. My kit is up for sale as I now have a vrs. it's a bit more of a problem if you have the push down reverse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

yer north London you interested in purchasing my kit if you don't have one

can give you a hand if you want

Will let you know mate probably not going to do it for about four weeks once it warms up but I could do with a hand what part of north London I am in guildford

Enfield when you take it out put it in reverse makes it easier

needs a new throttle so bought my vrs still got the a4 she just not on the road any more

What bits do you need Alex as I may have spare TB and pedal for DBW and definitely have a spare cable TB. Located just up the reading Herts too

just the tb on a drive by wire one and with the heater hose just wish it was a 1.8t not a 1.8i but my missus does perfere the a4 over the vrs

I am the same my wife has a 2013 focus and my 99 a4 is still nicer to drive Audi I think just got it bang on in the early 2000 with there cars

yer my a4 still has a soft spot so I don't want to let it go

considering a supercharger to give it some welly was always a little lacking in the power department. maybe a tfsi 2.0 in there from a wrecker just need a throttle body first.