A4 Avant S-Line TDI 170 - MPG Concern

ArFriend

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I'm 3 weeks into the ownership of my Avant, its a 2008 with just 54,000 miles which is pretty low for its age, especially for a TDI.

I've come from a BMW E46 coupe 330d, which I had no intention of getting rid of, but the Gearbox decided it didn't want to work anymore, and wasn't going to be economical to repair. Having also bought my 1st home and my commute becoming a 60mile daily round trip since buying the BM, and having a Wedding to pay for, I decided to go for something that would be econmical... or so I thought... My Avant is managing 36mpg (calculated not DIS) on exactly the same commute as I was doing in the BMW which would sit at more or less the same?!

I'm guessing this must mean I've got a problem, or is the 170 just that bad on fuel?

I'm averaging more than you plodding about town with a bit of a play and on a run I'm averaging 50-60mpg.....I know this is via my DIS and when worked out it's roughly correct. But this is after having a map put on the car.

But at the end of the day it all depends on how you drive....I just like to stick the cruise control on now and just go with the flow.

Reactions: triggerboo
Haha, Thanks Carl! I've certainly not got a light right foot but I'm not a loon! as a "Progressive" driver (sounds better than fast lol) my commute is a mix of 50% Dual Carriage Way cruise, 10% sitting in traffic on said dual carriage ways and 40% ducking in and out of 30 & 40 mph B-Roads.

Even so - a 204bhp 3ltr Automatic vs 170bhp 2ltr Manual to be returning the same MPG is a bit depressing!

Reactions: carlcall
Even so - a 204bhp 3ltr Automatic vs 170bhp 2ltr Manual to be returning the same MPG is a bit depressing!

Especially if they are both driven the same.

But if you have got a heavy foot they can drink it fast.....hopefully someone who has a standard car can let you know what they are getting out of there's. I can't remember yesterday never mind before it was mapped.

Is it a quattro?

My 170tdi Quattro avant will do around 38 around town, 45 - 47 if i drive very, very steadily on the motorway.... but I accept it due to the four wheel drive... which I love!

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
I can't remember yesterday never mind before it was mapped.

I'm in good Company then (my wife-to-be often comments on my poor memory, especially when asked to do housework...)

Is it a quattro?

Nope its a FWD - I know these cars have a common issue with Injectors, which was taken care off by the original owner at 34k miles (full engine out and they chucked a new cam belt on whilst they were at it)

EGR valve is easy enough to pull off and take a look, anything else that might be worth looking at I wonder

Reactions: Alex Richardson
Hi,

Saddo that I am, I keep a log of my measured tank-to-tank figures over the last two years since owning the car, on my 2007 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Avant:

This was probably 80% dual carriageway, to give you an idea. The high figures are long runs (Dover to Northumberland and return FYI.)

Mine was terrible before the egr blank dpf delete and map and now it's pretty good for a Quattro

Reactions: carlcall
BMW's seem to manage to excel on fuel consumption, its one aspect they consistently seem to beat VAG on, especially with their 6 cylinder engines.

That said, for a FWD 2.0 TDI your consumption does seem pretty bad, so it needs a good checking over to figure out whats up with it.

I was getting 25-30 mpg on a run to Spain which I thought was pants a week later DPF got blocked and caused all sorts of issues with turbo and stuff. DPF delete new turbo and a remap taking it to 200ish bhp and I'm getting 47 on a 26 mile run to work. I drop my oil every 3 months too as it at 176k

Reactions: James.c
Iv just drove from Scarborough to York and back on the crappy a64 and I pull 50+ with my dpf delete and 200-210map and Quattro I recon it would be even better with a less restrictive pair of backboxes! My b6 pd130 mapped with a straight through from the turbo used to grow its own fuel on a run!

Cheers for the replys gents,

Regarding DPF delete, does this not create the risk of an MOT failure? In a similar vein to De-cats? What's the score win EGR deletes also?

i have got 170bhp tdi if i drive carefully i will get about 550 miles to tank max i have achieved is 650 in full tank. my car had full engine rebuilt 3 years ago since than i have done about 40k on this engine. i use wynns dpf cleaner once about 5 to 6 fill ups also i only use bp diesel as it gives more mileage than rest. i also take my car out frequently for dpf regenrations ie driving on 5th gear at 80mph for about 15miles straight run. i hope that helps

Is it a quattro?

My 170tdi Quattro avant will do around 38 around town, 45 - 47 if i drive very, very steadily on the motorway.... but I accept it due to the four wheel drive... which I love!
I'm lucky to get 30 in town!!!!

I recently did a few things and my mpg figures have shot up within about two weeks. It may be worth you trying these. My motorway mpg have gone from 38-40mpg to about 46mpg and still increasing. City driving was around 25-32, now getting avg 35-38mpg.

Clean out the EGR and replaced its gaskets and antishudder seal (cost about £15 from audi) ike many have sggested already. Also I bought some BG244 fuel system cleaner. The stuff is fantastic, cleans carbon from injectors. Car feels more responsive and mpg still increasing. Also idle has smoothed out on cold starts.

I also replaced my air filter for a green cotton. Dont think on its own it does anything but aids towards the car feeling more responsive when used with the above points.

I recently did a few things and my mpg figures have shot up within about two weeks. It may be worth you trying these. My motorway mpg have gone from 38-40mpg to about 46mpg and still increasing. City driving was around 25-32, now getting avg 35-38mpg.

Clean out the EGR and replaced its gaskets and antishudder seal (cost about £15 from audi) ike many have sggested already. Also I bought some BG244 fuel system cleaner. The stuff is fantastic, cleans carbon from injectors. Car feels more responsive and mpg still increasing. Also idle has smoothed out on cold starts.

I also replaced my air filter for a green cotton. Dont think on its own it does anything but aids towards the car feeling more responsive when used with the above points.
Thanks for the advice. I did plan to get the Egr cleaned out soon as I do think it sticks slightly so will defiantly get that done. I used a bottle of wynns turbo vane cleaner recently and stopped using tesco fuel as was suffering from limp mode at 80 mph and under excessive load. Fingers crossed its cleared itself no more limp mode for a good few weeks now. Egr next.

Hi All,

So I'm 3 weeks into the ownership of my Avant, its a 2008 with just 54,000 miles which is pretty low for its age, especially for a TDI.

I've come from a BMW E46 coupe 330d, which I had no intention of getting rid of, but the Gearbox decided it didn't want to work anymore, and wasn't going to be economical to repair. Having also bought my 1st home and my commute becoming a 60mile daily round trip since buying the BM, and having a Wedding to pay for, I decided to go for something that would be econmical... or so I thought... My Avant is managing 36mpg (calculated not DIS) on exactly the same commute as I was doing in the BMW which would sit at more or less the same?!

I'm guessing this must mean I've got a problem, or is the 170 just that bad on fuel?
I had the same problem with a very low mpg on my 2.0TDI BLB engine.
Fix it by adjusting the camshaft synchro angle. Measured by VCDS was 1.9 and supposed to be -2.5 to -1.5.
Now mpg is great. Easy to fix by yourself if VCDS owned.