A4 Avant rear seat ride

wideboybloke

Reaction score
Possibly a bit of an odd thread, but here goes anyway. When we take my mother in law out, my wife rides in the back. She complains that the ride is harsh and my son made a similar comment rather more diplomatically when we first got the car. So over Easter I rode in the back while my wife drove and I have to say I was disappointed with the ride quality. We have s-line suspension, by the way. Has anybody else tried riding in the rear seats and, if so, how did you find it? Leg room is fine and I found the arm rest very welcome, but it is a bit firm for my liking, whereas I find riding in the front just right.

Have you definitely got sline suspension not the standard sport that comes with the sline? If so yes it will be very firm but I assume you've checked the tyre pressures? It will be more noticeable in the rear because you are, more or less, sitting right over the rear wheels, whereas in the front seats you are more towards the centre of the car..

Last edited:
You may be right about the type of suspension. It was a stock s-line, so if that means sport suspension, that's what I must have. I keep the tyre pressures on the low side as we carry rear seat passengers only occasionally. And coincidentally when we arrived home last night and my wife was complaining about the ride, she asked if it was affected by the rear seats being over the rear wheel.

Thanks for your thoughts. I know yours is a saloon, but have you sampled the ride in the back?

No-one gets to drive my car other than myself, my partner doesn't wish too as she feels it is too technical for her to deal with, plus she is used to her fiesta. Give her due credit though as her alloy wheels are still perfect after four years of ownership.
I believe you can tell which suspension you have from the code sticker either in the luggage compartment or in the booklet sleeve. Then decode them here http://vag-codes.info/vag-option-codes