A4 avant question x2

S.line

Reaction score
Morning all!!

I'm interested in two things.

1) I've just put a deposit on a a4 sline but notice the rear bumper has the mesh missing. The car has a removable towbar (Audi). Could this be the reason or is it just missing.

2) Im thinking about fitting some mud flaps. I've ordered a set of flaps from Audi to collect when I pick the car up but they said they won't fit. What mods will I need to make and has anyone got any pics what they look like?

Many thanks.

Paul.

I have a 2010 avant s-line with removable towbar and wire mesh in the rear bumper.

1) I've just put a deposit on a a4 sline but notice the rear bumper has the mesh missing. The car has a removable towbar (Audi). Could this be the reason or is it just missing.

Hi Paul,

I'd ask some pointed questions on that Mate; is it missing because the bumper has been replaced / repaired? Best to know if there's a history of a rear end shunt before you hand over the balance.

Last edited:
That's got me thinking! Looked at my car and the mesh looks well fixed. It can't just fall off. Here's the car

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401726196888177

No mesh sounds strange,and mudflaps do fit I had them on my b8 avant.

Let's see what is said about the mesh....

Could of reversed into a bush/twigs or something and broke a few holes in the mesh as it's only plastic, then someone may have taken it out?
Have a good look and bumper joining lines, paint difference if any and a good look inside boot for creases or damage.

The car has parking plus so.....is the mesh replaceable, or is it a new bumper?

I can't see why it's not replaceable as it's only fitted into the bumper (from the inside me thinks)
Although not 100%

Knock some money off, or tell them to replace part if it's a audi dealer

Audi dealer. I think I'm just paranoid about the last Audi I bought. I think these guys will look after me. Hope.

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to give you something to worry about but it is wise to ask. My Avant has APS+ and throws a fit if there's so much as longish grass or a crisp packet behind me so i'm thinking reversing into twigs is not it. Thinking about it though - tow bar - probably damaged backing up to whatever was being towed one time? The mesh would be just about the right height for coming a cropper on a hitch.

Haha that just reminded me of an old man last year. He had a remote for his 'unit(?!?!)' it wouldn't work so he shouted at his wife saying I told you to sort it!! Whilst pressing the button and shouting his 'unit(?!?!)' jumped forward and hit the back of his nice shiny merc!! That could explain things!

Haha that just reminded me of an old man last year. He had a remote for his 'unit(?!?!)' it wouldn't work so he shouted at his wife saying I told you to sort it!! Whilst pressing the button and shouting his 'unit(?!?!)' jumped forward and hit the back of his nice shiny merc!! That could explain things!
Lol.

Yep that sounds more believable.

Smashing story. If I shouted at my wife for not sorting something i'm pretty sure she'd jump forward and hit the back of my nice shiny A4 ;-)

I'll look for toe nail varnish under the bumper then eh

I have a 2010 avant s-line with removable towbar and wire mesh in the rear bumper.

My 2013 A4 S-line has a removable towbar and the mesh.

Pretty much all A4 B8.5 models have the big slot underneath already missing, regardless of towbar fitted or not.

That red Audi A4 Avant 170 looks remarkably like the one I inquired about at York Audi.....decided to wait for one like it without a towbar, and lower mileage...

Last edited:
Last week....LOL...I was on holiday in Bude at the time just surfing Autotrader (I live in Chorley)..and there was no way I was going to be able to see it in time...they did tell me someone else was interested..... :) Plenty more fish in the sea so they say..

edit - forgot to say I have set me heart on the Le-Mans RS4 19" alloys as well...

Beat ya ;P lol. Got a canny deal mate. Not certain on those wheels tho. Might sell them for some rotors or similar.

York Audi are hard to get in touch with tho, must be quite busy as their website must be popular. The guy said a lad from down near London was interested...small world!

But that wasn't you, I was thinking of chertsey lol!!

Maybe he mixed up Chertsey with Chorley (as I have a suvvern accent)

Nah good on you - it does look a good car !

I just want a car with all the kit on, with the 19" RS 4 alloys on it already....if I am spending the thick end of £x on the car then its gotta be right for me.....

It's vv high spec mate. I had a few vouchers to spend with Audi but couldn't think of anything! Apart from mudflaps which I've ordered to pick up. Gonna get the back windows blacked as it's great for kids (60%)

Cool ! Was not sure it had the park assist, folding door mirrors and heated seats...I am still not convinced by the Audi Sat Nav...mainly cos they charge fortunes for a map update - I hope you have asked Audi for the 2014 Map before you hand over your hard earned wedge !

Good thinking about map. Doesn't have folding mirrors or heated seats. Has park plus, tech pack high, b&o sounds, and I even got a free cup for my lil one ;)

Hi yes the mudflaps genuine Audi.Prob we ones but fitted 100%.

John boy I asked about the update. It'll cost me about £180!!

John boy I asked about the update. It'll cost me about £180!!

If that's 'all in' it's cheap! That'll be just the activation for the rights to use the new maps. If you go back at a later date the cost will be the activation and the service time to install the new map data and activate over Geko. That takes ages.