A4 AVANT QUATTRO S-LINE REPLACEMENT SUSPENSION???

Rob Crowther

Reaction score
A4 AVANT QUATTRO S-LINE REPLACEMENT SUSPENSION??? What's the best replacement setup for the same low stance that the factory dampers on sline give? Obviously the factory setup are oil filled dampers and springs but can you still get those or are coilovers a much better setup.. don't think gas shocks are a good option

The factory setup is as much use as a piece of wood.
numerous other options out there , gas is by far the best , Bilstein B8 based kits are top quality and outstanding in all areas.
key factors are , how much do you want to spend and what do you wish to achieve.

The OEM dampers are terrible and the rear springs are very prone to breaking , been there so know all about s-line suspension.

Just want a setup that's reliable, solid & good handling... I would think gas shocks if they puncture could leave you stranded. Maybe coilovers would be a better option cos there adjustable unless there's a set that are set low from the factory as standard

As above s line suspension is terrible at best coupled with lowering springs and all you have done is made it 5 times worse as the dampers are poor, I run supersport dampers with eibach sportlines, I went with the supersports as I've had previous experience and couldn't fault them also the company I get them from sell individually which is ideal, body roll is very minimal and handles damn good for a 1500kg car.

My old bus is on 45mm drop allround, works just fine.

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
Think mine is 45-50mm front and 35-40mm rear if I remember right.

Reactions: Rusky27, Pie-eyedpiper and Charlie Farley
I’m looking at fitting a set of adjustable coil overs as I intend on tracking her once I’ve mapped it.

Do I need to change anything else at the same time? Will I need spacers once lowered?

Never actually lowered a car before :flushed:

Reactions: Stoney12004
How much did your set up cost if you don't mind me asking? I've got an Avant Quattro 220 Special and i'm looking to lower it asap. Have seen loads of people plugging the eibach sportlines so i'm also going down that route. Just need some decent shocks and dampers and your set up sounds banging.

Cheers,

Jye

How much did your set up cost if you don't mind me asking? I've got an Avant Quattro 220 Special and i'm looking to lower it asap. Have seen loads of people plugging the eibach sportlines so i'm also going down that route. Just need some decent shocks and dampers and your set up sounds banging.

Cheers,

Jye
Im sure you cant get the eibach sportlines for your car your best bet is h&r especially for the avant

I've got AP shocks and springs on my 3.0tdi Quattro. It's an SE model so before it was like driving a boat. Now much lower and firmer obviously.
I fitted the exact same AP set up on my old golf and previous Audi. For the money I think AP is excellent value for money.
A good buddy of mine has a B5 S4 with AP coilovers and the quality of the ride impressed the hell out of me.
Suffice to say my next Audi will almost definitely be fitted with AP coilovers!
The AP shocks and springs set up is £350 and AP coilovers £750.

@BakPak Do you know if the damping on the AP coil overs is adjustable?

Ive seen a set recently that said they were adjustable from road comfort to track day stiff but can’t remember what brand they were and where I saw them!!!

Bilstein B8 dampers with H&R 45 mm drop allround is excellent on the special edition avant, very civilised indeedy.:icon thumright:

You can, I've got the B12 kit on my avant :greyrs4:
Oh right a few members in past have said they wasn't available for quattro's and I could never find any listed when I looked for someone before, have they recently been released or are they just really hard to find?

Oh right a few members in past have said they wasn't available for quattro's and I could never find any listed when I looked for someone before, have they recently been released or are they just really hard to find?

Well I've got FWD so I didn't pay too much attention to it but looking at the kit it doesn't specify if its for FWD or Quattro, only by axle weights. The 2.0 tfsi is listed for both options so I assume the higher load option is for Quattro? Could be wrong I'm no expert lol

Well I've got FWD so I didn't pay too much attention to it but looking at the kit it doesn't specify if its for FWD or Quattro, only by axle weights. The 2.0 tfsi is listed for both options so I assume the higher load option is for Quattro? Could be wrong I'm no expert lol
Yeah im sure there not available for quattro I know you can get eibachs for the fwd avants alex holmes has them on the front, for quattro avants h&r seem to be the best bet, think tein also do some but there not as lowered as h&r.

Im currently running STX coiliver which are made by KW got these on black friday for about £580 (these are for the quattro) rears are on lowest adjustment cant remember exact measures handles very nice... with H&R anti roll bars (front & rear) 2 adjuster hole set up (for anti roll bars)
Upload 2020 4 20 20 10 52

Upload 2020 4 20 20 12 8

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
Front does slightly scrape on some sleeping policemen bumps which is bearable but didnt want to go too low so i then have to plan my routes

If you look on the shock turrets in engine bay normally on O/S there is a sticker with the weights there and need to match nearest to that with the coilovers as its to with all the rebound rate etc and the heavier will probs be for the 3.0 quattro

I've found out that the Eibach Supersport springs that I've bought with my Bilstein B12 kit are suitable for Saloons only and not the Avant. And petrol engines only and not diesel.
They lower by 45-50mm front, and 35-40mm rear. They are brand new and boxed.
If anyone wants to pick up a bargain they are going for £125 delivered.
PM me if interested.

That does sound correct to be honest, i'm pretty sure DPM mentioned it a few times in other B7 threads which was why went the B8 dampers only and used H&R 45mm drop springs for my quattro avant.

It's Avant v Saloon. The heavier being the Avant.

An older pic of my old bus , from march last year but does give a good visual of how the car sits with B8's dampers with H&R45mm springs.
Still sitting the same aswell.

IMG 16698

Reactions: Andy b7
It's Avant v Saloon. The heavier being the Avant.

There are 4 kits in total for the B7 2.0 tfsi, two for saloon (8EC) and two for avant (8ED)

I bought from Balance, here's the options...

Screenshot 20200420 224556 Samsung Internet

Screenshot 20200420 224630 Samsung Internet

Be easy enough for one of the quattro boys to compare axle weights to that, I needed to get the kit ending 1506 for FWD Avant.

Im currently running STX coiliver which are made by KW got these on black friday for about £580 (these are for the quattro) rears are on lowest adjustment cant remember exact measures handles very nice... with H&R anti roll bars (front & rear) 2 adjuster hole set up (for anti roll bars)
View attachment 201569

View attachment 201572

Nice.

Some of those pics in a BMW workshop?

There are 4 kits in total for the B7 2.0 tfsi, two for saloon (8EC) and two for avant (8ED)

I bought from Balance, here's the options...

View attachment 201585

View attachment 201586

Be easy enough for one of the quattro boys to compare axle weights to that, I needed to get the kit ending 1506 for FWD Avant.

It's only the spring weights that differ (saloon to Avant) all the shocks are the the same for all models.

It's only the spring weights that differ (saloon to Avant) all the shocks are the the same for all models.
If there's no adjustment on them wouldn't the bump and rebound be set different to accommodate the different weights across the models like the avants, quattro or different engine sizes ect?

Reactions: Andy b7
If there's no adjustment on them wouldn't the bump and rebound be set different to accommodate the different weights across the models like the avants, quattro or different engine sizes ect?

this is true... sticker on O/S front shock tower/turret will show the weights if in doubt always worth a double check before purchasing save alot of agro down the line

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Check out the fitment of the Bilstein B8 Ricky.
That one shock covers just about every model of A4 and SEAT Exeo.

https://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/products/24-119818
Interesting that the different weights across the engines and drivetrains then you have saloon and avant version and they all have the same damper, would never of thought that, almost like they couldn't be bothered to tailor them to the exact car so stuck a happy medium damper on the kits, guess that's the difference with coilovers maybe? everyday life probably wouldn't notice it much anyway I guess.

Interesting that the different weights across the engines and drivetrains then you have saloon and avant version and they all have the same damper, would never of thought that, almost like they couldn't be bothered to tailor them to the exact car so stuck a happy medium damper on the kits, guess that's the difference with coilovers maybe? everyday life probably wouldn't notice it much anyway I guess.

Probably true, the layman wouldn't notice.
It's the springs that take the weight of the car and they do differ, beefier for the Avant.
After all, "all" a damper does is to control the spring oscillations, and smooth the ride.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
New here so be gentle
Can anyone advise on some decent midrange (600£ish) coilovers for my 08 b7 sline avant fwd
Been considering all the options but think I’ve settled on coilovers as I can get the height just where I want it ...225 -35 -19 -8.5 will be adjusting offset once you suspension sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New here so be gentle
Can anyone advise on some decent midrange (600£ish) coilovers for my 08 b7 sline avant fwd
Been considering all the options but think I’ve settled on coilovers as I can get the height just where I want it ...225 -35 -19 -8.5 will be adjusting offset once you suspension sorted

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't looked into coilovers for the b7 but from experience bc racing are amazing coilovers and great bang for your buck, AP racing seem to be a common choice on the b7's from what ive read here they have decent reviews on them and there in your price range so defiantly worth a look into.

Reactions: Jamsmoo
New here so be gentle

AP .

Reactions: Jamsmoo
The B12 kit is very good, I went with the B8 dampers as I had a set of nearly new H&R springs and the B12kit isn't listed for the quattro avants if I recal.