A4 Avant failed it MOT . . .

Bugeye_bob

Reaction score
Well it had to happen one day, yep it failed,
I have to admit I have let her down, fitted sub standard parts, when a deal seems too good to be true, well it was,

She passed last year after breaching the 150k mark, but had a couple of advisories, which for a 15 year old car you would expect,

Rear ARB bushes and front lower arm rear bushes, not that bad really,
So I was going to polly the arm but spotted a "Great Deal" on a famous auction site, I wish I hadn't spotted said deal now,
They offered shiny new arms, basically all four lower from arms for under £100, that has to be a lot less hassle, hmm,
Yep come this year Brand new arm ( 3500 miles and 11 months later) bushes fail, I know the MOT man and he shows the movement in the N/S and its like jelly is in the bush, not rubber, O/S isnt as bad so is advisory, but N/S is just floating around on his test machine,

So dont buy cheap rubber from that auction site, long term it just isnt worth it,

I just feel guilty for fitting such poor quality parts to her.

Bob Aged 44 and still learning . . .

just replace the arms with proper ones. TRW, Lemforder or perhaps Meyle though i'm less convinced of those as time goes on.

No point rebushing, as the balljoints are chocolate as well.

Do you have any links for the bushes , MOT man says there is still movement in a brand new bush, he cant explain why but has passed it.

Did you use new bolts as the old ones could be worn

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

no got the jack under the arm at the hub, and loaded it up until it wanted to lift the car,
same when I did the drop links.

no got the jack under the arm at the hub, and loaded it up until it wanted to lift the car,
same when I did the drop links.
cool. Just I know a few folk that haven't done this and there car has destroyed the bushes in new arms.

I would like to know what poly bushes to use also as I wouldn't mind doing this to my car.

Reactions: Bugeye_bob
if the bushes I listed are ok (I've never heard of them tbh) then I will do both cars.

if the bushes I listed are ok (I've never heard of them tbh) then I will do both cars.
Ive not heard of them either but they look reasonably priced Im in no rush to do mine its done around 100 miles since I replaced all 4 arms on each side. ( last year!!)
I did have a poke about them at the weekend while I was stripping the power steering rack off and they still look fine.

plan is to get more miles done in the car once Ive got it built back up but just with everything going on around us the A4 has been sitting as an ornament in the drive while the Seat has been getting used.

I did 3500 miles and they still looked like new, just the MOT didnt like it lol