A4 Avant clutch malfunction warning

Sutty

Reaction score
New member here, first post, looks like a good forum.
I have a 67 plate Avant, 2.0 TDI ultra, manual gearbox. Only 5k on the clock. First Audi I've had.

Car is currently camped in the dealer as they investigate this error which appears when driving. First occurred during a 250 mile journey, and whilst in 6th usually when increasing speed it would fault, no gear change involved. VW tech visited and suspected a software glitch, updated software, but issues persist. More recently as I've tried to replicate I can get the fault to appear when accelerating through 3rd (not changing gears). No issue hitting all gears, clutch feels fine etc.

Dealer has now had it 3days, can not replicate but see 10+ occurences, since vw tech visited, and have run through all diagnostic checks with Audi centrally. Next step is a gearbox removal to check further the flywheel and clutch. Warning shared that if they find the clutch burned I'm expected to pay...

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Given the car age and what I consider a regular driving style, I'd be shocked if it was a clutch burned out (and not happy with a £900 bill!)

Thanks in advance

I had a A3 1.4 saloon that had the dmf replaced under warranty, but it was making a noise at first startup when cold. They replaced the clutch also and commented there was signs of burning. Yet I have never ridden a clutch and drive my car gently. However they didn't charge me anything though. You haven't been billed yet so lets wait and see on your clutch...

Reactions: Sutty
I’m no mechanic however I don’t see how any software glitch could cause clutch slip with a manual gearbox. I had my clutch replaced at 27,000 miles after the DMF failed and I paid only for the part (£388) but, I have something in my mind about the clutch being covered up to 6,000 miles. Definitely worth a call to Audi customer care. Please note however, I have found them to be exceptionaly useless so prepare for escalation.

Reactions: Sutty
Thanks for your input guys.
Next call to Audi UK, and awaiting a dealer update. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
Car fixed today and back home. Thankfully no 'driver error'.
The clutch release bearing had failed, and fixed under warranty with a new clutch and flywheel. Hopefully no more issues for the next 5k miles and many more!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: tickedon, cuke2u and firebits