A4 Avant buffeting noise.

Blakeyboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got my A4 Avant S-Line (tdi 150ps manual) back in September and from day one I've had a buffeting noise that appears on any road surface, in any gear as soon as I approach 50mph.

I've had the car to my local dealership and they say they can't find any fault, albeit they admit they can hear the noise as well.

The noise it self seems to be coming from underneath the car or wheels, it's hard to pinpoint.

The sound itself is hard to describe as well; the best explanation is imagine you have a window open on the motorway and you get that deafening pulsing noise. It's just like that but a lot faster pulsing and quieter / or a rumbling hum.

It's driving me insane. I've got the acoustic glass and can't enjoy the 'quiet'!

Do any of you guy have any similar noises in your car?

The garage are telling me it could be my tyres, but I've driven another A4 same spec same tyres - no noise.

They also told me (which really pi$$ed me off)...when audi make cars they don't design them with wing mirrors on, they just stick them on at the end and hope they don't make noise! I politely told them I wasn't born yesterday and reminded them that the reason the B9 mirrors had been moved away from the A pillar was to improve the flow of air and nose over them!

I would take your car somewhere else, with that bs about the mirrors they obviously should not be let any where near a car. There are many videos detailing the specific design of the mirrors to change the airflow across the windows to reduce wind noise...

Reactions: ZZidane, Daggerit and Spaceman_RS3
Is it not the rear tyres out of true? Are they wide tyres like 255mm?

As for them telling you about the mirrors I'd ask why develop an illegal car and tell to politely fo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would take it else where unacceptable really - could be any number of things such as a loose under tray that starts flapping as you get faster or could be tyre problems relating to alignment or wheel bearing.

Reactions: TimD
I'd say more the rest tyres. Sounds like a bearing, but what it will be is loads of run off (flat spots) on the tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly are `rest tyres` prey tell?

Reactions: S.line
I would guess at the under tray too, is it possible to get someone to follow you along whilst you are both on the phone - that way you can tell them exactly when the noise starts and they can look for anything obvious.
In any case, I would agree with the comments on finding another dealership!

when audi make cars they don't design them with wing mirrors on, they just stick them on at the end and hope they don't make noise!
PMSL, I suppose the grooves on the mirror (for aerodynamics) were an after thought to !!
I remember my Exeo having a buffering noise from underneath and it turned out to be the alignment at the rear. I had changed the tyres twice (including wheels) before it got figured out. I would recheck the tyre pressure as well.

I would guess at the under tray too, is it possible to get someone to follow you along whilst you are both on the phone - that way you can tell them exactly when the noise starts and they can look for anything obvious.
In any case, I would agree with the comments on finding another dealership!

That is a great idea, I'll give that a shot.

I've had a good ratch around under the car, my initial thought was the under tray being loose, or some damage was caused when it's been transported etc but everything looks fine. No obvious damage and all seem tight.

I'm taking it back later this week, unfortunately it'll have to be back to the same dealership as the next closest to me is about 65 miles away.

If there is no trays loose then I think they need to do some more investigation with wheels and bearings.

I hope it can be fixed; I actually enjoy driving my wife's 13 year old Ford Fiesta more than the Audi because it's quieter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck and stick by your guns, if not have a chat with Audi's CS, tel:0800699888. I enjoy driving my partners fiesta too because it handles and gives feedback through the controls better than any Audi I have owned. It brings back fun into driving...

Hi everyone,

I got my A4 Avant S-Line (tdi 150ps manual) back in September and from day one I've had a buffeting noise that appears on any road surface, in any gear as soon as I approach 50mph.

I've had the car to my local dealership and they say they can't find any fault, albeit they admit they can hear the noise as well.

The noise it self seems to be coming from underneath the car or wheels, it's hard to pinpoint.

The sound itself is hard to describe as well; the best explanation is imagine you have a window open on the motorway and you get that deafening pulsing noise. It's just like that but a lot faster pulsing and quieter / or a rumbling hum.

It's driving me insane. I've got the acoustic glass and can't enjoy the 'quiet'!

The garage are telling me it could be my tyres, but I've driven another A4 same spec same tyres - no noise.

They also told me (which really pi$$ed me off)...when audi make cars they don't design them with wing mirrors on, they just stick them on at the end and hope they don't make noise! I politely told them I wasn't born yesterday and reminded them that the reason the B9 mirrors had been moved away from the A pillar was to improve the flow of air and nose over them!
Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Hi. I have exactly the same on my 08 Avant between 60-70 mph. Not investigated it yet

Just a guess but the flaps which vent the air in the car near the back bumper, not sure what would happen if it got stuck open / closed.... ? Just a thought.

If they were stuck closed, or blocked, then your ears would pop as the pressure built up inside the cabin. They do tend to be on the opposite side of any sound proofing and I doubt if they can be stuck open anyway.

Hi everyone,

Hi, did you manage to find out where did that noise come from?

Hi, did you manage to find out where did that noise come from?

No, unfortunately not.

Audi gave up investigating it for me in the end, and so did I.

I did change tyres all aground through mouth the 3 years I had it and it didn’t make an iota of difference.

Got a new Avant 5 weeks ago and there is no noise - bliss!

Are you experiencing a similar issue?

Is it B 9.5 ?
Looks like I faced the same issue, that flapping noise is killing me. I’ll change tyres in few weeks and check maybe that noise will change:(