A4 Avant B8 18" Tyres

AjM

Living in Blissful Ignorance
Reaction score
Currently run 245/40/18 they norms, but I was wondering if anyone has run 235/40/18. I am trying to improve road noise which is the worst I have ever experienced in a car whilst also reducing the tyre width in a desperate bid to get an extra 1mpg!

Thoughts?

You need softer tyres if you want to improve road noise, find out what you've got at the moment and see if there are any softer ones, I know the Dunlop sportmax rt are soft

Just look at the EU labels for each tyre before you buy, they are all graded now for noise.

Ok thanks, what about width?

I have ContiContact 3s.

I just got the goodyear asy 2. on 255/35/19. They would be a good shout. I had conti sp3 on the front and dunlop on the back. That's how the car came. Road noise was horrible. I think if i had the dunlops all round would have been better.

However i have covered about 300 miles in the goodyears and they are significantly quieter. They are also supposed great on fuel economy. We you are supposed to gain a few MPG.

They are rated A for noise A for wet and C for fuel. Worth checking them out in your size.

Cheers

Thanks, I will check them out.

The F1 Assy 2 in my size is a fuel rating of E.

The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT are the quietest, the most fuel efficient and the best grip tyre available, according to tyre review and black circles. But the reviews are terrible!

Ah they are the XL, I don't need those. They are cheap though, the cheapest I can get the others fitted, is £145.

Putting on 235s instead of 245s will not reduce road noise by a noticable amount but it will affect your speedo/distance so it is not recommended to fit them. As others have said, look at road noise ratings instead and go for one rated quieter than you currently have.

According to the book and sticker, only xl in 19", 93Y in 18", but as you say I can't seen a difference for the car? I will go for them.

I agree with you about that, ie not all models of A4 came from factory with XL - should not be posting that as fact unless they know that your model of A4 did always come with XL from factory.

Using XL were not required, well, maybe common sense should lead you to think that if you are trying to reduce road noise being transmitted into car, then fitting a tyre with a stiffer side wall should always end up with more road noise getting through when compared with its equivalent normal load tyre.

Edit, also, try to keep insurance company happy as in the event of a claim their eyes should mainly be on not making a full pay out - if you fit " not as factory" and have not declared that, then they might just smile and wish you a good day.

Now if I'm wrong and all Avants leave factory with XL tyres, then you must stick with that noise or no noise.

Last edited:
According to Goodyear they are the same sound rating but 2 ratings better on fuel efficiency...

According to Goodyear they are the same sound rating but 2 ratings better on fuel efficiency...

I just wonder how true or repeatable these "flavours" are that have been dragged out to categorise tyre parameters, just a hunch, though maybe not just true measurements or science involved.

Most Euro derived stuff is like that (says he who is still smarting over getting shafted for road tax because his car has MAN TRANS!).

My Goodyear gt are pretty quiet, and what's all this nonsense that they wear quick? They wear very good in fact, the ass2 actually wear quicker than the GY.
take no notice of the tyre reviews, their all tested in different scenarios so take it as a pinch of salt.
Owners reviews is where it counts ;)