A4 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro Black Edition anyone?

Keef

Reaction score
Well after 2 years in the wilderness I’m coming backing to Audi (hopefully).
A Jetta and Passat estate later – both great cars but just not doing it for me like my Audi’s use to!

Ok so here it is - I’m looking at ordering a A4 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro Black Edition S tronic
with a few toys – nearly £45k. Last time I ordered, the dealership matched ‘drive the deal’ so I got nearly 12% discount – will be asking for the same but not sure how that will go down! Also they said I could get one by the end of May (not sure how realistic that is)
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of A4 3.0 TDi’s out there so any feedback welcome?

Problem is for that kinda money do I just go ‘balls deep’ and get an S4?

Cheers
Keef

Keef, you hit the nail on the head dude. Before purchasing i drove an s-line 3.0Tdi (manual) and the S4. Both were simular priced, but the 3.0tdi didnt put the smile on my face that the S4 does. Its horses for courses mate, if you do the miles get the tdi as it is awesome, especially auto.

Dont just try one dealership when playing the price match game, ultimatly someone will want the sale, good luck :)

With regard to getting a factory order at end of May I think its highly unlikely, I ordered a A4 Avant black edition 2.0T mid Jan and have only recently been given a build week for Mid May with delivery expected Mid June. Might be different for your model, but be prepared for some delays.

My Black Edition has only just left the port in Germany, supposed to be here for 1st March, told last week it would be here this week, now saying sometime next week. Ordered last November.

Yeah to be honest from previous experience and from reading posts on here I thought the dealer was being a tad ambitious with his estimated order times.
I will be test driving an S4 and an A7 3.0 tdi Quattro with S-tronic on Saturday (apparently thats the closes they could find to an A4 3.0 tdi!)
A4 3.0 tdi’s seem to be as rare as rockin horse crap!
...but i guess thats cos anyone who looks at the price goes for the S4

I've recently ordered an A4 Saloon 3.0 TDi S-Tronic, admittedly without driving an S4 but I don't want S4 fuel costs to be honest.

I've been in and out of 3.0 TDi's for the last couple of months with loan cars, Q7, A6 and today picked up an A8. I also test drove an A4 recently and to be honest it's awesome with the S-Tronic. The A6 was manual and ruined the drive IMHO. Q7 is Auto and pretty rapid for a big motor.

Hi Stu

Can I ask when you ordered and what delivery slot you’ve been given??

Cheers
Keef

The A4 3.0 TDi both B7 and B8 are great engines, but the auto is about as involving as my neighbour screwing my partner for me.

Manual all the way for me.

Hi Stu

Can I ask when you ordered and what delivery slot you’ve been given??

Cheers
Keef

It's been a bit complicated as the order has been amended a couple of times however it was originally placed on the 20th of Feb with a build of week 23 IIRC. Today the garage have confirmed that the car will now be built week 19 which is W/C 9th May. The MY change occurs on week 22 which is W/C 30th May. I have asked them to investigate delaying until Week 22 so it's a MY12.

I've still to find out what the MY changes will be but the dealer says Audi have advised they will be minimal.

It's been a bit complicated as the order has been amended a couple of times however it was originally placed on the 20th of Feb with a build of week 23 IIRC. Today the garage have confirmed that the car will now be built week 19 which is W/C 9th May. The MY change occurs on week 22 which is W/C 30th May. I have asked them to investigate delaying until Week 22 so it's a MY12.

I've still to find out what the MY changes will be but the dealer says Audi have advised they will be minimal.

2 weeks ago I ordered an A4 Avant 3.0 Black Edition (S-tronic, high tech, pan roof, milano etc) and was told by Basingstoke Audi delivery would be last week of June. As the Audi assisted finance offer ends at end of june the car and i need delivery of the car before then, I am now concerned that this may not happen. The finance deal is worth nearly £3k so it's not small change...

The finance (Solutions) offer is £2700 made up of a £1700 contribution by the dealer and £1k from VWFS.

Hopefully it'll be honoured.

Well just got back from the stealers.
Drove a manual S4 & A7 3.0TDi S-tronic.
The 3.0 diesel with S-tronic is great but the S4 is just awesome, want to try an autoS4 now!
The dealership showed me the £2.7k finance deal and said that as long as the order was placed prior to the end of March the deal would be honoured regardless of delivery times – Unfortunately they won’t do the same deal on the S4!
I have just emailed them quotes from ‘Drive the deal’ and’ Brokers4cars’ to see if the can match or be competitive. They should let me know tomorrow.
Also they said that the 2012 MY changes were minimal (although they couldn’t tell me exactly what they were!)

I think it's a good job I didn't drive the S4 to be honest, I would have been very tempted myself.

When I ordered the 3.0 TDi they had a couple in and around the showroom with decent discounts which made them very, very tempting but I really don't relish the fuel bills.

For me the 3.0 TDi is a good trade off. It has a lovely 6 pot sound, awesome torque and a reasonable fuel return.

Good news on the finance deal as I think I'll be in the same position.

As I said above the £2700 is made up of £1700 dealer contribution and £1k from VWFS so you may be able to achieve some of it but likewise you shouldn't assume they will match a DTD price and then add the £2700 on top as you just won't get it - Although the £1k should be safe.

If all goes well I should be ordering an Avant 3.0Tdi Quattro Black Edition with S-tronic on Saturday.
Got offered good discounts on both vehicles but Audi won’t offer the same finance deal on the S4
(but to be honest didn’t think they would!)
I don’t really want the piano black trim internally but doesn’t look like I can change it on the BE.
I would order an S-line but then can’t have the wheels I want.
Spec:-

Quartz Grey
19” 5-segment-spoke alloys instead of the 19” 5-arm rotor titanium
Milano leather - Black
Heated front seats
Convenience pack
Technology Pack
Storage pack
Interior light pack
Tyre pressure monitoring

Now to sit back and wait….and wait….
Hopefully I’ll it be built after the 2012 MY changes
but before the 61 plate!

Cheers
Keef

Nice work Keef.

I have been speaking to my dealer and requested that they make sure my order is a MY12 car so they have spec amended the original order and will order me another. This also gave me the opportunity to change the colour, something which I've been toiling over for a week or so since placing the order and I've now chosen Quartz Grey as well.

Still no news on what the MY12 changes will be.

As for the BE, I orginally ordered a BE myself but when I thought about it I wasn't overly keen on the wheels (I have them on the S3) and I'm not fussed about the black inlays either (again I have them now) so I decided to go for an S-Line and specify the B&O etc that I wanted.

Personally I really like Quartz Grey – I use to have an S4 Avant (B6) in Avus silver and I think Quartz is the closes to that!

Seeing the stealer tomorrow to place the order.
Hoping I’ll make the 2012MY build – even though I don’t know what the changes are yet!

Not happy bout the piano black trim - but if I spec the S-line I can’t have the 5 spoke segmented alloys
(which I want more than the trim – might even explore the cost of the trim separately as its only the centre console trim that bothers me! But I m sure it will be an extortionate cost)

Dealer has said not to bother with the Bluetooth prep low as car already has Bluetooth (however I have an Iphone and I like the phone by the armrest, and not in the glovebox – but I guess the AMI won’t work then?)

Also I hear you get the AMI cables includes these days – when I order my first B8 you had to pay £20 odd pound per cable!

Thanks for all the advice / input guys!

It’s good to be back!! (still want the S4 though)

Cheers
Keef

Personally I really like Quartz Grey – I use to have an S4 Avant (B6) in Avus silver and I think Quartz is the closes to that!

Seeing the stealer tomorrow to place the order.
Hoping I’ll make the 2012MY build – even though I don’t know what the changes are yet!

Not happy bout the piano black trim - but if I spec the S-line I can’t have the 5 spoke segmented alloys
(which I want more than the trim – might even explore the cost of the trim separately as its only the centre console trim that bothers me! But I m sure it will be an extortionate cost)

Dealer has said not to bother with the Bluetooth prep low as car already has Bluetooth (however I have an Iphone and I like the phone by the armrest, and not in the glovebox – but I guess the AMI won’t work then?)

Also I hear you get the AMI cables includes these days – when I order my first B8 you had to pay £20 odd pound per cable!

Thanks for all the advice / input guys!

It’s good to be back!! (still want the S4 though)

Cheers
Keef

Keef,

I like the quartz grey but am torn between that and the meteor grey, also as I am going for the magna red/black supersports seats I think the meteor may go better.

Nicely spec'd car, by the way. Enjoy

Paul

Bluetooth is standard as you say, I have it in my S3 at the moment and it works as well as the cradle/bluetooth variety I had in the last S3. I use the AMI to charge the phone if required. Not sure that there is a cradle for the iPhone 4 yet but I think there is a 3G/3GS one.

I got two AMI leads with the S3, USB and iPod/iPhone.

When I ordered my S3 I held out for the MY change from 10 to 11 and subsequently ended up with the new 5 arm BE wheels instead of the anthracite RS4 style the early ones had and the no cost option to have aluminium inserts was removed so it is a gamble to hold out when you don't know what's coming.

I'm currently going with -

3.0 TDi Q Saloon S-Line
7Sp S-Tronic
Quartz Grey
Leather/Alcantara with Silver Stitching
19" 7 Arm Double Spoke Wheels
S-Line Sports Suspension
B & O Sound Pack Inc DAB
Tech Pack High
Heated Front Seats
Audi Parking Advanced
Audi Hill Hold Assist
Advanced Key
Interior Light Pack
Through Load
Electric Folding Mirrors

I'm taking a gamble with the HHA as I have been reading that it's a software/controllor specific thing and it appears that if you have a controller suitable for either HHA or TPM the other can be enabled with VCDS. I'm not overly fussed about TPM but if by buying HHA which I do want I get it for free then who am I to complain :yum:

I think I may well be swapping the S-Line side badges for the V6 T one as seen on the S4.

Interesting reading guys, i am too looking at a new A4 black ed but the 136 version and will prob map to 180, what discounts are you getting, i spoke to my stealer (stoke audi) and they say there is £2750 audi discount then another £1000 if i finance with them??? but no extra discount!!

Thanks
Kev

Kev

I think there may be a little more to be had.

The £2700 is reliant on you taking a Solutions finance plan Audi A4 Saloon Retail finance offer < Finance & offers < A4 Saloon < A4 < Models < Audi UK

As I have said above £1000 from VWFS and the rest from your dealer.

If you could see 10% off the list and the £1k from VWFS that would be a good position I think. Remember when calculating the discount it isn't 10% of the OTR price it's 10% of the base price of the car and options (ex vat prices in the brochure).

I wonder if they have confused themselves or mislead you with the finance arrangements?

Keef

I've only just noticed when I posted the link above that the finance offer now only appears to apply to Saloon versions. May be worth checking with your dealer as I'm sure when I first looked it was for either and I initially discussed Avant with my dealer.

Stu (quick question do you need Hill Hold on an auto??)

Whilst the offer still applies to Avants - i have a bigger problem!
been in the dealership today for the past 2 hours!

Last week i was told that as long as i place an order prior to the end of March
the finance deal would be honoured if the delivery time overran the end of June.
Been to place the order today and now there saying the system now currently quotes a projected build time of week No. 26
this would mean delivery beyond the end of June, therefore falling outside the terms of the current Audi finance deal!

This been the case they say Audi won’t let them take the order based on the current deal.
I’ve just spent the last two hours arguing the toss with the sales guy and business manager.

The only viable solution was for me to place the order today (and pay deposit) and wait to see what the new quarter 2/3 finance
offer will be (if any!) in April!
My order is subject to the new deal and deposit is fully refundable however i have stated that if it is not the same deal i will walk away!
My concern is that because the offer has been successful and they have a back-log of orders there might not even be a new deal in April
let alone a similar one –Have to wait till next week to find out - Not happy!

Sorry chaps rant over for now

Kev – the deal I have / had based on my spec equated to:-

Dealership discount = £3.5K (including the £1.7k) about 8% based on the ROTR price
Audi finance deal = £1k
And a reasonable part-ex offer for my current car
To be honest I was quiet happy with that although I do intend to squeeze a bit more!
I used examples from Drive the deal and broker4cars website

Paul – I do like meteor grey but I personally think the S4 looks great in Quartz.
I do see what you saying about the seats though!
It’s obviously a personal taste thing - but I always have black seats (resale value and all that..)

Cheers
Keef

Keef

HHA is somewhat un-necessary on an Auto agreed but it is slightly different, it is now standard on S3 S-Tronic so I guess they feel a need for it. I do use mine a fair bit rather than relying on the creep of the auto box to hold it. As I said if it turns out possible to code the TPM by including HHA (Which from what I can see it is) then it will have been a very worthwhile option for £55.

Bit of a pi55er about the finance deal, I hope I don't run into trouble with mine. Hopefully it will continue into Q2/3.

Thanks Stu

Excuse my ignorance but not sure how the TPM is related to the HHA?
To be clear I&#8217;m assuming TPM (tyre pressure monitor)
TMA (To many abbreviations ....)

Cheers

True but even if you have factory TPMS I don't think you can activate HHA.

True but even if you have factory TPMS I don't think you can activate HHA.

Have you tried??

Spot of bad news yesterday, the dealer called regarding my order and my 'second' order which was supposed to be a MY12 car will indeed be MY12 with a build slot W/C 27th June which will put me well outside of the current finance offer. Original order is still available to me but clearly that would be a MY11 car. The finance director is going to call me on Monday with clarification.

May have to take the earlier car after all.

Stu
Sorry to hear about that - i guess that puts you in the same boat as me!
At least you seem to have a fall back option though.

My dealership said they won’t know the new finance deal (if any) until a few days into April.
I’m sure you could hold-off making a decision until then...and as we don’t seem to know the MY2012 changes yet (dealer keeps saying minimal) If the new deals bad - you take the 2011 car.

When was your second order placed? - If at the time the dealership did not expect the delivery time to be beyond week 26 - Audi should honour the 6.4% finance deal.

I really don’t know what will happen with my order!
if the new deal stinks - I will be kicking off and wil be emailing the MD of Audi UK...again (it worked last time!)

As you say I have the fall back which is lucky. I'll be gutted if I get the MY11 and then there is something really cool in the MY12.

It would be handy if they did know about the finance deal in April, perhaps you could keep me posted if you hear before I do.

The MY11 car should be here in plenty of time for the finance deal.

Just been to look at the Skoda VRS whats your opinions on this ( i am guessing you have had one previously Stu)???

Will be going to Audi today so will see if Stpoke know anymore about the next finance deals...

Yes I have Kev, two in fact. Very good cars and the current deal on the petrol models is attractive if that's your kind of car.

Would I buy another?? Probably not to be honest, not because of anything wrong with the car or the dealerships i'm just not so keen on them anymore.

How did it go with Audi?

My dealer seems to think that details of the new (Q2) deal won’t be released untill the first / second week in April.
Technically the (Q1) deal is valid up until end of March – even though they can’t honour it (delivery before end of wk 26) due to production backlogs!

Sorry to sound like a fool, but what do MY11 and MY12 mean? I have recently ordered a new car (supposedly being built week 27) and would like to check which it would be with the dealer

My dealer has just said they expect to hear during the first week of April as you suggest Keef.

No news on the MY changes as yet, apparently Audi are notorious for keeping this information tightly controlled. Surely once there are no more build slots left for MY11 it would make sense to release this information as it has an overall effect on what customers are buying, especially if the change is significant.

Inked - MY is Model Year, normally a minor specification change.

Stu,

I had a finance quote from Audi, they said like you i wouldn't get the car by the end of June but said they have worked the figures out on the current deal as there would be something very similar continuing in April..

I have only just had chance to properly sit down and look at it but it isnt as good of a deal as this place, www.carfile.net

Just out of interest what are you doing with the s3 and if px what have they offered you..pm if you like.

Thanks
Kev

They don't work out any cheaper for me.

The S3 goes in PX unless someone wants if beforehand. It'll be a good buy for someone but I'm not going looking for buyers.

Some good news (at last!)
I noticed that the new finance deal was on the Audi website last night –
albeit only listed under the saloon section.

It’s actually a better deal than the previous one - £3.2k contribution and 6.3 APR
I have just spoke to my dealership and they have confirmed it applies to the Avant as well.

So my deal will be based on the new APR – but with the discount I had previously agreed the contribution was already over £3.2k.
Being given a provisional build week of 26 and can’t really see that improving.
Now to sit and wait….and wait…… at least I’ll get a MY2012 car but won’t be happy if it
turns up in August a few weeks before the new 61 reg.

Cheers
Keef

Can't you just get them to hold it until 1st Sept to register it? My dealer offered to do that for me if it turns up in Aug. (Although he says mine has now changed from week a week 27 build to week 21)