A4 avant 2002 - tailgate wont shut

Shaun cardy

Reaction score
Hi - I have read a number of posts suggesting that if the actuator is disconnected then the tailgate will close with the key. Unfortuantely this has not worked. Could the problem be with the latch and not the actuator ? Any ideas ??? Thank you

I've sorted my boot out early this year, I had it not fully unlatch in hot weather. This was the actuator getting 'lazy' and then had the problem of not catching when shutting the lid.
This was the Catch that needed replacing.
If you close the boot lid & it just bounces off the stop rather than catch then sounds like you need a new catch on there.
That is dead easy to change as you can do it without removing the whole boot trim, just pull off the bottom edge enough to get a socket in there to remove the catch.
The only problem I had was removing the thick plastic trim cover that sits over the catch, if I remember rightly I carefully inserted a flat screwdriver and sprayed wd40 in to loosen it & it came off

I'll try to remember to dig out the invoice when I get home, I got lucky.
a mate of mine with a b6 avant had the same problem & bought a new catch & actuator, he only managed to fit the actuator & since sold the car.
So he gave me the brand new catch.. result (I did do the right thing & slip him a few quid for it though). think the invoice was around the £50 mark.

Hi - I have read a number of posts suggesting that if the actuator is disconnected then the tailgate will close with the key. Unfortuantely this has not worked. Could the problem be with the latch and not the actuator ? Any ideas ??? Thank you

Thanks for your replies - i have changed the actuator without any success. Could there be an electrical fault as there is no response at all when the central locking is pressed. I noticed the left side no. Plate light wasn't working - coincidence ?? The catch does seem to be sticking, but was hoping to avoid buying another unless absolutely necessary. Many thanks

All sorted - changed the boot latch and worked straight away (well after cleaning the electrical connection). Thanks

Reactions: Ralphthemouth and Bugeye_bob