A4 Allroad to A6 Allroad

spartacus68

Reaction score
Evening folks

So here’s my predicament. I bought a 2012 2.0 TDI A4 Allroad (at 5 years old) thinking it was going to be my forever car. Along comes ULEZ zones in Scotland. Glasgow went live on June 1, and other cities will follow in a year.

I wasn’t planning to change the A4 Allroad. It does what I want, and I’ve got it to a stage I’m happy with it mechanically and it’s just on 70k miles. I searched for months to find the right specification, but Euro 5 isn’t compliant on a 2.0 diesel in ULEZ zones. I’ve got a daily Polo 1.4 diesel I’ll probably trade in at the same time. My job has changed so I can’t justify all the cars, as my house resembles Phil Mitchell’s garage forecourt.

I was looking for a B9 A4 Allroad, but I’m particular about specification. I want alcantara, panoramic (I must be mad as I know they leak), light pack, and under 50k miles. I can see A4 Allroads are going to be scarce and I’m not about to sink £35k into a nearly new car.

I have always wondered about an A6 Allroad, but do I need the extra space? I do tow, so going from 177bhp to 218bhp is welcome. Also 6 speed manual to V6 auto. My kids are grown up, but I like the planted feeling of a motorway cruiser, so will just be me and my wife.

What are real world issues? I’m looking at a 2017 plate with all the toys on 30k miles. It’s S-Tronic. I know the S-Tronic is due a service at 38k miles. It’s chain instead of belt, so at least I don’t have a 5 year cam belt and water-pump change to contend with. What’s the reality of air suspension on a 6 year old car? I’ve got VCDS and I am spanner handy on suspension, brakes, etc. I know there are various threads about AdBlue pump failures on the B9 platform. Has this extended to the C7 Allroad?

Finally, if going to an A6, is it worth scratching the itch of a bi-turbo? I doubt they are ULEZ compliant. I had the turbo go on my own B8 Allroad last year which I was generally surprised about (actuator) having come from a B5 2.5TDI V6 A4 that reached 173k miles and was mechanically sound.

Apologies for the rambling thread. I hate buying cars. My brother was looking at a Q5 and sank his money into a Jeep, I know words defeat me. I should also confess I was looking at a Volvo V60 Cross Country, but its Haldex AWD, but styling is contemporary.

To answer a few of your questions.
  • The S-Tronic box should have had a service in 2021, as the service interval is 4 years or 38k miles, which ever comes first
  • There are some instances of AdBlue issues with the A6, I had it on my 2015 2.0TDi car, but it is by no means a universal issue
  • All cars that have AdBlue, which is almost all post-Facelift A6s (I think the 3.0 engines didn't adopt it until mid-2015) and all cars registered after 1st September 2015 will be Euro6 compliant so you should be OK for ULEZ for the time being even if you scratch the BiTDi itch as long as it new enough. personally I would only go for a facelift A6 especially if it has the TechPack as the pre-Facelift tech pack only is not compliant with 4G mobile data and cannot be had with CarPlay/Android Auto
  • A6 Avants have a known issue where the fuel filler release mechanism jams and and the pull cord inside the boot does not release it, you need to force the flap open and then get the actuator pin replaces (sods law demands this only happens when you are in desperate need of fuel!)
Hope this helps

Reactions: spartacus68
Thanks for the response. The Indy dealer sold the A6 Allroad, no response to my enquiry, not even a sorry but it’s sold. Interesting that the transmission is age related as well as mileage. My understanding is the viscosity is thinned which is where the problems arise.

Had a similar issue with my wife’s i3 REx, but it’s the actuator that locks the charging cable to the car. Same result though and potential to leave you stranded. Luckily it’s a hybrid, so has small engine too.

Facelift A6s are from what year please?

Facelift on the A6 was announced at the end of 2014, but vehicles only really started to show up in early 2015. Main changes at the facelift were the switch to standard Xenon headlights (were halogen) on the SE and LED Headlights (were Xenon) on the S-Line and Black Edition. Facelift cars with the TechPack also git a colour DIS and the ability to display the navigation map between the dials. TechPack cars could also have Apple CarPlay/Android Auto specked as an option. The 2.0TDi was made Euro6 compliant and received Ultra name before the facelift whilst the 6 cylinder cars did not switch to Euro6 engines until after the facelift but had to be Euro6 from September 2015. Think all those changes, except those relating to the 2.0 car apply to the AllRoad as well

Reactions: spartacus68
Thanks for the replies. I’m looking at another Allroad. This one has 268bhp. Am I right in thinking the Allroad came with 4 engine choices, all V6? One petrol TFSI, and three diesel including top of the range Bi-turbo.

This particular one is paired with 7-speed box. I checked MOT history and has a few occasional advisories of tread wear. I know it was an ex demonstrator car, full Audi history, well spec’d and on a 17 plate.

I’m running my A4 Allroad on Michelin Cross Climate and really rate them. Good grip, low running noise and seem to wear well so that’s what I would plan to switch over too. They are on 19” rims.

Thanks for the replies Elan.

I found another Allroad - so I hope you don't mind the questions. This is a 2017 plate. Am I right in thinking the A6 Allroad came in 4 engine variants with a petrol V6 and three diesels including the bi-turbo. This particular one is 272bhp so middle of the diesel range and ample power for what I need, coming from 177bhp. Anything to be aware about this engine? What's real world mpg too please on a steady drive? Does it have a dipstick - or is it all through the MMI interface?

I checked previous MOTs, so it had a couple of advisories for low tread depth on 19" alloys. I'm looking to swap it over to Michelin Cross Climates as I really rate them, hard-wearing, low road noise and good road-holding.

Do you know if puddle lights and door open lights are standard on these cars? It's got a tech pack and convenience pack.

The attached should help answer all of your questions. By the time of the facelift the petrol version had been dropped (in the era before Dieselgate!). One thing, looking at the brochure the Convenience pack gave you the load area system to partition the load area. Make sure it is there as I do not think Audi still make it so could have gone "missing". Should be 4 pillars plus one fixed and one flexible restraining set. It is different to four sliding lashing eyes that all Avants and Allroads also come with It can be stored under the carpeted part of the boot floor when not in use. Regarding lights, if I recall from my 2015 Avant there are puddle lights on the front doors but no lights in the handles. There is a lighting pack which added light up reflectors and door handle lights, note that quite a lot of what is in the description for that pack is actually standard,

Attachments

• a6-allroad.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 110
Reactions: spartacus 68
Been a crazy few days, cars available, then they are not, and we're not talking small-change either. I've slimmed down my choices, 272bhp V6, must have panoramic, mileage ideally under 50k, Tornado Grey, Oolong Grey or Ibis White, 19" alloys, tow-bar equipped and on 17 plate onwards.

Looked at one on Moonlight Blue, but not for me.

Now its just waiting for the right car to come along. Anyone see anything - just holler. There's a sweet A6 Allroad at Stoke SEAT under 20k miles but no sunroof for anyone that's looking.

Hopefully when I join the A6 group officially I can pass some of my mechanical and electrical knowledge on.

Sunroof will massively limit your potential choices as it was an expensive option and combined with horror stories of leaks and other issues not one that was selected very often across the whole A6 range. Good luck in your hunt

Sunroof will massively limit your potential choices as it was an expensive option and combined with horror stories of leaks and other issues not one that was selected very often across the whole A6 range.
I’m starting to see that. The A6 Allroad is already relatively rare with low miles (similar to A4 Allroad), plus colour choices are restrained unless you like dark colours, plus I want the middle of the range V6 and then add in a panoramic roof into the mix and you’re now looking for the proverbial unicorn.

We are In the midst of a summer heatwave, so I know that’s influencing me but the panoramic is illogical. My woes with panoramic roofs are well documented on the A4 B8 chat with my own Allroad. It’s a flawed design from Webasto, so I’m not sure why I’m persevering with the notion as we’ll be back in typical Blighty inclement weather, and trust me, wet carpets are no fun. It’s primarily the styling and light into the cabin, but I realise it’s limiting my choice.

hiya , I've got a 2015 272bhp allroad, as well as what's mentioned above the facelift ones have 4 zone hvac.
As for weak spots, timing chains at higher mileage , water leak in the V. with the as mentioned filler cap being the only cheap one. I my car has or has had all three problems. timing chains is the big one, listen for a rattle on start up that lasts more than a few seconds.

Reactions: spartacus 68
I’m still looking. Came across an Ibis White 17-plate bi-turbo on 34k miles with panoramic roof and tow-bar. To be honest, I didn‘t want a bi-turbo, and with 320PS under foot, I’d have 3 points on my licence in under a week. What sealed its fate was it was colour coded, so wheel arches, front valance and rear bumper. Just about any colour looks okay, but not white. Apologies if you have this combo.

I’m hoping the market changes in coming months by September. I can get Westfalia retractable tow-bar fitted, so will have to budget for that just have to see what comes up.

Latest update. Not an A6 Allroad, as there’s nothing new on the market but an A4 Allroad. 19 plate on 72k. Couldn’t bring myself to move on it, as I’d end up with same mileage as I’m on now with a 12 plate.

VAG Tech on YouTube are back on. Some poor customer with a 16 plate SQ5 uses diesel bi-turbo engine had leaking injector now looking at £12k engine build.

There’s a Volvo VXC60 I’m considering too, AWD and auto towbar, all the toys apart from air suspension. Interestingly the rear lowers at touch of a button. Could see that being useful for heavy loads.

Evening. So I’m closing this thread. I’m staying with Audi. I came close to A6 ownership, but it’s not to be on this occasion but I wanted to say thank you for your model knowledge.

I’ve been through the mill on this. I honestly hate looking for cars, model, specification, budget of course, then add in worries about warranty, residual value and of course the all important colour choice. Found an A6 Allroad at York Audi in Java Brown but it sold quickly. Not sure I could carry off a cream interior given I’m usually hauling trailers and the colour wouldn’t have been my first choice If I’m honest. I came close to buying a Tornado Grey A6 with ridiculous low miles but no panoramic and I made a decent offer. The sales team at Crewe Seat were ****, so be warned.

I’ve considered the Volvo XC60 and even V60 Cross Country, but I know where I am with Audi having worked on them for more years than I can remember and having VCDS is something to consider. The Volvo XC60 is nice, but the specification levels are ridiculous. Then I started looking at air suspension with active chassis in Pro Inscription guise and I’m into serious money and gangsta wheels seem to be standard. The safety specification of course is fantastic, but a worry too, it just screams that this will be dealer level diagnostics to resolve when it breaks, and the fuel consumption figures don’t add up. Buying new with warranty, absolutely no issues, Volvo comfort and build are second to none in my opinion, but crazy prices with cars up to 4 years old.

So I have paid deposit on a rather rare 2017 plate A4 Allroad, Scuba Blue, panoramic, LED headlights, virtual cockpit display, Audi Sense, Milano leather, hidden tow-bar, with a 3.0 litre V6 272hp engine and 8-speed box. I’ll hopefully join the B9 forum soon.

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro