a4 3.0 tdi avant (auto) dealer says its a manual quattro unit????

J9NY X

Reaction score
hi all just been enquring to audi about a tiptronic a4 3.0 tdi v6 im thinking of buying fash i enquired to see if the oil in the gearbox had been changed at the 40k interval they said no as this gearbox doesnt need oil changing said its a (manual quattro system) not tiptronic and not dsg i am realy confused now does anyone know about these the 3 different auto gearboxes?

Okay, it's reasonably straightforward. Front-wheel drive automatic A4s have a continuously-variable transmission called a Multitronic. These need the oil changing every 40,000 miles.

Four-wheel drive (i.e. Quattro) automatic A4s have a traditional automatic gearbox with a torque converter. These do not need an oil change every 40,000 miles.

The DSG is another type of gearbox altogether; it has a dual-clutch system. As far as I know, though, it's not used in A4s, at least not B7s. I do believe that its name has been changed from DSG to Sport-tronic, but I might be wrong on that

All three types of autobox have a mode that allows the driver to select gears manually, in sequence. This is called tiptronic mode.

If the car you are looking at is an A4 3.0TDi V6 Quattro Automatic, then it has a traditional auto with torque converter; i.e. not a multitronic, and not a DSG/Sport-tronic, and it won't need oil changes at 40,000 miles..

Great that explains it a bit better it is more the multitronic boxes that have the most probs then isn't it? Are the quattro boxes a bit stronger do you know would I have any bother if it was remapped for towing?

The 3.0TDI never comes with a multitronic - the engine is too powerfull for it.

just spoke to an independant who said quattro boxes are in general reliable its the multitronics which can be more troublesome he did say though the timing chains can snap listen out for it!!