A4 3.0 Cab using too much fuel

reggieroo

Reaction score
Website
www.theirishshop.co.uk
I got my Mum an A4 3.0 Quattro cab 2004 some months back, although she has been happy with it she's not happy about the fuel economy. I told her that it's a 3.0 litre Quattro & will use quite a bit of fuel but she says it's using so much more than her Merc 320 SL. She then told me how much she got from £30 which was 60 miles, this seems excessive!

I've also noticed that on start up it sounds quite load & you can smell fuel, not pure petrol but like it's running rich. She has took it into a garage & they said it was the oxygen pipes & cleaned them out? That didn't do anything so any ideas what might be wrong?

Last edited:
I have a similar issue with my B6 A4 3.0 Quattro Sport, i get around 200 miles to a full tank!!!!

I do have a heavy right foot and only do short runs, but i'm sure it must have an issue to be using this amount of fuel, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious issue with the running of the engine!?

My 2.4 petrol cab does about 320 to 350 miles on a fill tank, based on about £1.30 a litre mine costs 24p per mile, I get 24 to 27 Mpg on my 20 mile commute to work and back.... less if I give it some beans..... I nearly bought a 3 litre as well but the 2.4 is fine for now :)

That is a weird one, I'd take it to another garage. On a full tank I get shown 450 miles on mine....

could it be a cat failing / take it the temp gauge works ok showing 90deg etc...... or is she doing track days and not telling you lol