1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

A4 2.8 Quattro Drift Project - Arnold

VAG-Slag Nov 16, 2015

1. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Registered User

The past few weeks has been eventful, there's a fair bit to catch up on so I'll try get this all up to speed as quickly as possible...

First of all, lots of things needed welding or re-welding... So I went to see a pal who was able to weld up the cracked center diff housing, and have a more serious go at the center diff, rear diff and also got a spare welded up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MUCH more confident those welds will hold up... While he was doing that I had the thermostat out and checked the water pump to try work out why it was over heating so bad. Thermostat opening fine and water pump also fine, I took the stat out though and then put the rest together.

While I was poking around I noticed that the viscous fan had been removed... I also worked out the smaller fan (AC fan?) had been wired up into the cabin. So I got a 10amp switch on that and lone behold had a switchable fan! That plus a new rad was making me optimistic of NOT over heating next time!?

So, Sunday February 2nd got up early doors and headed to Skid Risk in Birmingham for drivers briefing at 9am... They've got a play pen there as well, the guy taking the briefing said to all the new comers not to spend all day in the pen as you won't learn anything recommending that once you've got figure 8's round the cones down to come down to the main arena.

So here's what happened in the play pen:

As you can see it all kind of just worked... Have to admit it was getting hot towards the end of the run, even though I had the fan running the whole time. Also the fan wiring in the cabin was getting a bit hot and melty!

One of the organisers said if I came down at lunch he'd let me out on my own just to get a bit used to the higher speeds, with clear instructions just to go straight on the straights... With my front bumper and bonnet now removed to aid cooling, I was optimistic the higher speeds would keep air flowing over the rad and help keep temps down also.

So off to the big boy track I went!

So yea, that didn't go quite to plan for obvious reasons! . . Here's the damage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front end was very much not straight, but by some absolute miracle I managed not to pierce the rad... So I cued up among a sea of BMWs (and a Volvo) and headed back out!
    [​IMG]

Managed to get a few more runs in... But by this point the fan wiring had completely melted, and I has an intermittent misfire which I think was caused by wet HT leads as the car over heated after every run and popped it's cap! . . Still, here's what the last run of the day looked like:

Visibility from the camera isn't great as it was so sunny and smokey out side! . . Still, hopefully you get the idea.

Bar the crash, and considering a drift A4 is a completely unknown area, I think the day was a success... I know what worked, what didn't work and what needs fixing/adjusting before I hit the track again.

I stripped the car down on the weekend to assess the damage a little further as well, will post that up later in the week

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

10A switch on the small electric fan sounds somewhat undersized...

My track car has its fan wired thru the standard rad switch and a relay, but it happily pops 30A fuses on startup. I think its rated to around 300w, which is about 25A once running, but the startup current is huge. That said, there are two sizes of wee fan, some cars got 75W and others got 300W. You definately want the powerful one.

TBH though, given what your doing, i'd be putting the viscous fan back on as well, you need as much airflow as possible. My fan never runs on track, but i'm actually getting up to proper speeds and generating decent airflow thru the radiator. Whereas your at max power at very low speeds and also sideways so the airflow isnt even going the right way :p

I would suggest refitting the factory airbox. That ruined K&N filter isnt helping anything and you'll want good filtration given the amount of smoke and dust the engine will be inhaling.

And strap that helmet on properly!

4. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Registered User

I actually ordered a 14" 120w fan to put in place of the viscous which I was going to run off a switch, however royal mail (being ***** since they've been privatised!) managed to loose it for a couple weeks! . . That fan only draws 10 amps so that's what I was going off for this other fan, obviously that one draws a bit more though!

You say it like I have a factory airbox lying around? :tearsofjoy: I might just bodge something over it for the moment, not splashing out on another cone. Maybe pair of old tights or something! lol

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

most aftermarket fans are junk. OEM ones are usually a LOT more powerful, but the more powerful you get the harder they are to control, needing PWM and staged startup etc. The big 16" fan on the E90 330d i had was 600W, and the 335i i believe had an 850W unit. They had integrated PWM controllers and spoke canbus though, so probably not much use for retrofitting.

Just bolt the viscous back on. Its more powerful than any electric fan, and just works.

And no, i dont have a 2.8 airbox, should be easy enough to source though, i'd imagine!

6. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Registered User

Been a while since I posted here... Mainly because not a lot has happened, and what has happened hasn't been much to shout about. There was a drift day in April last year where I ended up in a wall. And I've only recently got round to sorting the car out since then!

The main motivating factor behind that was the announcement of a new drift day which is actually local to me, at Aldershot Raceway... Big thanks to Andy and the Learn2Drift boys for making that a reality!

The first public event was in March and on the day we were greeted with 6 inches of snow on the track! . . It was a frustrating day for me on a patchy/snowy track often fighting understeer and generally not feeling very much in control.

The car actually ran ok though, and following that I decided to keep an eye out for some cheap 18" 8j's to run up front on some decent low profile rubber... Which I managed to source relatively easily and cheaply!

The second public event was a couple of weeks ago, and following the the outing in March I was felling a little apprehensive to say the least. . . The sun was shining though and I got out there and got stuck in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took me a while to dial myself in a bit, and was battling a misfire in the morning which turned out to be a wet HT lead... But the car performed well and for the first time I felt like I was starting to find my drift mojo a little!

Inevitably the day ended prematurely for me at about 3pm when I hit the wall bending a lower control arm... But the damage should be easily fixable and overall the day was most definitely a success. Looking forward to the next event which is a weekender in August!

DieselJake likes this.
  7. pilla

pilla Old ones are the best ones

Looks good fun. Those little welds in the diff. My god what were they!