a4 2.5tdi quattro rear wheel bearing

willieigs

Reaction score
needs to do rear wheel bearing are these hard to get out and fit back in,
will i have to get these pressed in will, a vice do
any body knowledge of these doing these dont want do be allday
as i have front lower arms need doing and the rear springs

i did front ones with a vice, rears are pretty similar so it should be possible with some suitably sized drifts.

did you punch then out with a hammer and drift then fit new ones using a socket and vice to push home

Pretty much.

The front ones didnt have any circlips and the bearings were VERY tight. They too a LOT of beating to get them out, and a lot of force to get them back in.

You need a big socket and should only press on the outer race of the bearing, otherwise you'll wreck it, then support the inner race when pushing the hub back in.

Pretty much.

The front ones didnt have any circlips and the bearings were VERY tight. They too a LOT of beating to get them out, and a lot of force to get them back in.

You need a big socket and should only press on the outer race of the bearing, otherwise you'll wreck it, then support the inner race when pushing the hub back in.

how long did all this take

Well i did both front bearings, and all the front control arms, TRE's and ARB links, including having to drill out the pinch bolt on one side, in about 10 hrs, including stopping for lunch etc.

It was the first time i'd done it though, and i wasted a lot of time working out the best way of doing things, and spent ages trying to unsieze the pinch bolt before finally drilling it out!