A4 2.5tdi Lag And Engine Question?

miniturhero

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm in the middle of sorting my oil leak which I need to get it steam cleaned to remove the oil so I can see might put it up on a friends ramp to have a look again this week but anyway , my a4 is auto and it has terrible lag in first gear when pulling away have to be careful when pulling out sometimes as it lags anyone have any idea if this is just normal or is something a miss ? Also I have what looks like 2 actuaters but one isn't but looks like one but it seems to throw out black smoke over my manifold anyone know what this is I wil try and get a pick of what I mean any help is very much appreciated .

Thanks in advance guys

Screenshot_2014-08-19-08-04-07-1_zpsbea0c5c5.png

Hi guys I'm in the middle of sorting my oil leak which I need to get it steam cleaned to remove the oil so I can see might put it up on a friends ramp to have a look again this week but anyway , my a4 is auto and it has terrible lag in first gear when pulling away have to be careful when pulling out sometimes as it lags anyone have any idea if this is just normal or is something a miss ? Also I have what looks like 2 actuaters but one isn't but looks like one but it seems to throw out black smoke over my manifold anyone know what this is I wil try and get a pick of what I mean any help is very much appreciated .

Thanks in advance guys

Screenshot_2014-08-19-08-04-07-1_zpsbea0c5c5.png

Thanks mate thought it might be something like that , does anyone know if I were to put an cone air filter on if it will help with the lag I've got in first gear I know it won't cure it but maybe make it a little more responsive ? Or any mild tuning tips would be appreciated :)

Thats the egr valve, i have the exact same engine and was also suffering the lag when pulling away, sometimes it would feel like it would start to build the power then lose it for a second then return.I would straight away blank it off by inserting a plate which can be purcheased from ebay for a couple of quid and removing the pipe from it and blocking the pipe with a bolt. I fitted the plate between the egr and the front pipe going into it, this cured my car straight away (see piccy) as the egr valve when broken or not working correctly will cause all sorts of funny things with the engine to happen.. You could also remove the whole thing and fit a plate at each end of the system. What year is your car? as some of the later b6 years when you remove the pipe will throw an engine warning light on the dash. mine is 2001 so was ok
egrblank-1.jpg

You will need a diagnostic scan to see what faults are stored then you post them here. Auto's are laggy by default on the big engines so the boxes stay in one piece when pushed hard or when towing ! I would fix the issue then have a map put on the ecu, it won't transform it but it will make it a bit more driveable...

Swarcup : mine is a 52 plate so hopefully will be fine if not I have a diagnostic tool so should be able to remove light if it appears I was thinking of blanking off the egr .

adamss24: I have scanned my car yesterday funny thing as I found my tool but it hasn't thrown up any faults , I always thought that it being an auto it would be a little more lag than a manual naturally but mine is exactly how swarcup has described and my problems the same but I will defo report back on how I go . I wanted to give it a remap ay some point too I was thinking of just getting a all round map little power/mpg hopefully will make it feel a whole lot better.

Is it a multitronic gearbox? I read that most of this style of gearbox has a lag in first when pulling away. My old XC90 certainly did and made it ****** dangerous at roundabaouts etc. I read it was somethign to do with the clutch engaging and nothing can be done about it.

Err I'm not to sure what gearbox it is I'm not too clued up on autos I've just got
P
R
N
D
S
But when in D I can slide to the left and use in tiptronic I think it's called I haven't got flappy paddles or anything. I know it would be slower pulling away then a manual but man it is dangerously slow on roundabouts need a big gap to pull out in

Mine is a Quattro so mine is the tiptronic I think , I've ordered a egr blanking plate so will for that and disconnect the vacuum pipe for the egr and see what happens , I put a cone air filter on last night just to see if that done anything with the pulling away thought it might make the turbo spool a bit quicker but it made the car total loose power I think it's because I had to remove what I could only assume is some sort of vacuum pipe from the standard box so put it all back and works fine now but still lagging in 1st so see if the egr delete works

Tiptronic should work as normal as far as I know. I did have an old school autobox on my Paj and that gave the same symptoms. Turned out the fluid flywheel was shagged and acted like a slipping clutch. I know nothing about Tippys though so can't help there.

I do know that the standard airbox and standard paper filter is best in these and anything else is a waste of time and money. As you found out... ;)

Yeah it was a waste of time lol just glad that I didn't have to buy the cone filter and it was an old one off of my old s3 but hopefully the egr delete will make a nice nnoticeable difference, I do have a oil leak that I have to address as wellbut ccan't seem to figure out were it's coming from had my mechanic look at it quickly but he suggested steam clean first as the underneath is awful it's covered but I can see small puddles on top of the engine so recon it's coming from the top

I had an oil leak from the top and it was the oil filter cover, someone had replaced the rubber 'o' ring but had not removed the old one so had 2 in there

Hi peeps I had installed my egr delete and also while I was there I decoder ed that my intake pipe that joins the turbo had split and come off so managed to get it on temporally until I get another also think I may have found the cause of my oil leak it seems that all the pipes under and near my turbo are covered so think it could be the oil return from the turbo leaking but will investigate another day as didn't have time. I drove the car after I'd sorted them bits and low and behold it drives like a totally different car pulls away quicker and sounds a lot more throaty (I have removed back boxes and replaced with stainless oval tips) I will upload some pics of the split pipe and also the oily pipes and tell me what you guys think the leak is coming from