A4 2.5 V6 Tdi Thermostat cost.

M9RC

Reaction score
No sooner has the cold weather arrived and my thermostat appears to be wide open. It's taking a while for the car to get warm, and even after a couple of hours motorway driving tonight, as soon as I got stuck in traffic the temperature gauge dropped to mid way between the 90 and the line to the left of it. When up to motorway speeds its stays on the 90.

I have read that to change the thermostat on the V6 tdi its a belt off job, is this the case?

Any advice as always would be much appreciated.

Yes doing the stat on a 2.5 is a big job, engine into service position, belt off etc. I have read of people putting a stat in line somewhere to avoid the expense of doing it properly.

Yes doing the stat on a 2.5 is a big job, engine into service position, belt off etc. I have read of people putting a stat in line somewhere to avoid the expense of doing it properly.

Thanks Paul. I'll get everything done while the belts are off if that's the case.

Where about's are you in the country ? If you're close to N. London then pop in and see me, i could sort the thermostat for you... Regards,
Chris

I'm in Liverpool Chris, I've just checked my warranty and the thermostat is covered, which is a result. How much would it normally cost for it to be done?

Glad its covered under warranty.
When I have had thermostats stuck open in the past, it usually drops temperature during driving (airflow to the rad) then builds temperature when stationary (no airflow).
As the belts are coming off - I would get them to change the waterpump aswell for peace of mind - I know you said the belts were done fairly recently.
If you get stuck - you know where we are.

Reactions: M9RC
*Update*

I had the thermostat replaced under warranty (the 5* AA warranty has paid for itself this week). While the thermostat was being replaced I thought it would be a convenient time to have the water pump, timing belt & tensioners done seeing as the labour was covered through the warranty claim.

The belt was last replaced at 60k miles nearly 5 years ago, it's only done 40k miles since then but it would have been stupid not to have replaced it now with zero labour costs.

I think 5 yrs is the limit whatever the mileage so good timing!!