A4 2.0tfsi BGB

Ash92

Reaction score
Evening all,

Just sold my 2.0 tdi blb tonight and im buying another a4 a grey 2.0tfsi BGB.
I am going to view tomorrow, are there any things i should keep a eye out for any common faults with these as i cant have the same problems i did with the blb.
Also looking at getting a cat back straight away iv been quoted a good price its 50mm bore size or extra £100 for 57mm i think im going to go 50mm just to save some money but what difference would i see if i got the 57mm.
Apart from the usual A4 Mods are there any that are worth doing to the tfsi
Cheers
Ash

Evening all,

Just sold my 2.0 tdi blb tonight and im buying another a4 a grey 2.0tfsi BGB.
I am going to view tomorrow, are there any things i should keep a eye out for any common faults with these as i cant have the same problems i did with the blb.
Also looking at getting a cat back straight away iv been quoted a good price its 50mm bore size or extra £100 for 57mm i think im going to go 50mm just to save some money but what difference would i see if i got the 57mm.
Apart from the usual A4 Mods are there any that are worth doing to the tfsi
Cheers
Ash

Best of luck Ash. I think the same rules apply to any 2.0t engine code . I have a 2005 BGB engine running on a MTM stage 1 remap and it close to 250,000 kms on the original clutch. Usual checks apply and keep your fingers crossed the seller is being straight with you.

BR
A

Hi Ash92,

Gratz on selling your TDI

Well depending on the year of the vehicle and mileage will be a good start as usually things will crop up around a certain period of mileage. Thou the obvious things like cam belt, clutch wear, short or regular service intervals. Thou dont listen to Molnboman he got a Wednesday car which is a rock solid BGB unlike some of us that got the Friday or Monday morning engine.

As for the exhaust I wouldn't say that is advisable. Not sure why you would want to go smaller than the default stock system on the vehicle. 50 and 57mm is tiny.

And too help you with your question on if it would make a difference well think of it this way, which do you think would be easier too blow through a straw or a pipe? Because that's exactly what your turbo will be doing. Ill let you decide :)

Reactions: IPSGA
Cheers for the replies, I brought the car this morning it's a 55 plate, what a difference absolutely love it! I'll probably give the exhaust a miss then spend money on other mods thinking about changing the tips as these ones are a bit grotty. With service it was done 13k, 27k, 41k,55k,67k,77k and 87k with cambelt and waterpump it's had a long life service every time current mileage is 96k car seems to be spot on little rattle either side at the front I'll have to have a look into that also it has navigation in it but not the rnse ones just on dash and it doesn't work do these have separate fuses or are the known to break.

i havent taken any yet but heres a couple from the advert
New 3
New Beast
New 2

Very nice I saw that car advertised when I was selling my Tfsi Avant.

Some new pics after a wash today
installed interior LED's at the front
LED side Lights and number plate ones
Super bright headlight bulbs aswel
Fitted 19" RS4 Alloys with ET35 which sit nice with the arches
Also First Remap was done the other which im happy with but i think i need to replace the DV as there was a underboost code come up
K&N Panel Filter.
DSC 02601
DSC 02611
DSC 02621
DSC 02791
DSC 02781

Lots more planned for it but first i would like to sort out some of the common faults
Could any one help us out of rough prices they have payed parts and labour if thats ok
Im after getting the oil pick up pipe to the newer revised one iv seen some people have done.
also the oil chain to be replaced and anything else in that sort of place worth doing.
the dv ill do myself also the cam follower on the fuel pump.
i have no oil problems at the moment but i would like these done before things get expensive like my old blb.
If i have missed anything out or any of these dont need to be done please let me know as that would be greatly apprieciated and money well saved :).
Also if any would could help me out i have a rattle noise coming either side at the front it sounds like a loose caliper but everything seems to be ok, has anyone had simular issues.
Thanks in advance

So I had the following items you wanted priced recently from Audi and they are as follows. Also keep in mind this is retail pricing and not trade.

Cam Chain Replacement parts : Total cost - £216.38

06D109281D - 3.288
06F109217A - 99.108
N10196303 - 0.588
06F103483D - 25.152
06D103121B - 6.036
06D109229B - 64.572
06D145117 - 5.016
WHT005184 - 12.624

If you going to get the chain replaced you might as well not bother with the cam follower because who ever is going to carry out the work for the cam chain they have to remove the cam follower anyway.

Oil Pick Up: £37.48

06F115251B - 31.884
N10653601 - 0.384
N0282222 - 5.22

Both items are dependent on were you go. So if you going by the standard £75 inc vat per hour then you looking at roughly the following.
Timing chain labour varies from 4 to 6 hours. - £300 - £450
Oil Pick up can range from 2 to 4 hours. - £150 to £300

Hope this helps

Thats excellent thanks for that I think I will be getting these done soon.
Not sure if this is a daft question or not but I'm looking at going down the 300bhp mark maybe next year sometime. Will the new chain be Ok for the performance or doesn't it matter?
Cheers

There wont be any issues even if it was 400 hp. Just need to keep an eye on maintenance items more frequently. Oil changes, cam follower etc As more strain and wear will be put on the vehicle.

If possible ask the mechanic to check if you have revision B inlet camshaft. Because if you do then your cam follower wont wear as much as Revision A.

What colour is your rocker cover just out of interest?

Ok yer I'll be doing an oil change and check follower soon and Ok I will do what's the difference? I think it's silver if I'm looking at the right bit. Is it the one the ignition coils go in?

Yes the one the ignition coils go into :) Nothing that you should need to be worried about was just curious. And if you going to be trying to get xxx amount of hp try swopping out to a better viscosity oil. Rather than 5w30.

Ok are there different coloured one's? And what do recommend because I was going to put 5w30 fully synthetic in.

There is a silver and black. If your car is stock then you can stick with 5w30. But otherwise you can change to something in the likes of 5w40.

ASH, fyi I had to replace my PCV after my remap. The EML kept coming and giving me the same underboost reading I think.

BR
A

Some new pics after a wash today
installed interior LED's at the front
LED side Lights and number plate ones
Super bright headlight bulbs aswel
Fitted 19" RS4 Alloys with ET35 which sit nice with the arches
Also First Remap was done the other which im happy with but i think i need to replace the DV as there was a underboost code come up
K&N Panel Filter.
View attachment 47938 View attachment 47939 View attachment 47940 View attachment 47941 View attachment 47942
Lots more planned for it but first i would like to sort out some of the common faults
Could any one help us out of rough prices they have payed parts and labour if thats ok
Im after getting the oil pick up pipe to the newer revised one iv seen some people have done.
also the oil chain to be replaced and anything else in that sort of place worth doing.
the dv ill do myself also the cam follower on the fuel pump.
i have no oil problems at the moment but i would like these done before things get expensive like my old blb.
If i have missed anything out or any of these dont need to be done please let me know as that would be greatly apprieciated and money well saved :).
Also if any would could help me out i have a rattle noise coming either side at the front it sounds like a loose caliper but everything seems to be ok, has anyone had simular issues.
Thanks in advance

Looks Great Mate, good luck.

BR
A

looking good so far! how the MF did you fit your sidelights?! tried for an hour today and gave up!

Thanks for the comments and cheers molnboman I'll have a look at replacing that aswel and with the sidelights you have to pull on the wires hard to remove, might feel like your going to rip them off but it won't. Hopefully

Pick up got replaced on Saturday and after 97k and longlife life service been done there was no signs of blockages. One question I do have is with the new pick up would I get a warning light pop up if the new gauze is blocked as I see it will come through the new bit added to it?
Cheers
Ash

evening all well after 97k and no history of the cam follower being replaced i thought id give it a bash. Good job i changed it aswel as its on its way out here are some pictures. also had a look at the camshaft not a 100% on what im looking at but seemed ok.
DSC 0508
DSC 0519
DSC 0509
DSC 0513

Looks like it was caught in time, funnily enough I ordered new follower for mine from TPS this afternoon, so be interesting to see how it looks when it comes out ( BUL ) hope to do the job tomorrow afternoon providing work load permits !

Reactions: Charlie Farley
let us know how you get on gary, bul's are not suposed to suffer from this problem,well not as much anyway.

Nice timing Ash....incredible how this was never serviced item on these engines.....beggers belief actually.

Cheers
A

Hi @Ash92 , @A4Rob and all other interested parties ;)

As mentioned TPS dropped of the hpfp cam follower this morning, so, thought I'd take the opportunity this afternoon to swop the old one out and new one in. Not a bad job to do, access not too bad in reality, if the coolant pipe that runs across the engine, in front of the hpfp, wasn't there, it'd fit itself ;)

Followed this as a heads up on the job: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8339.0.html

Mines a 2.0Tfsi BUL code at 107K miles. I have no idea if the follower had ever been changed, there's no documentation to support that it had been , so changed as a precautionary measure. The wear wasn't horrendous, however the contact face hardening was showing signs of cracking / pitting across the whole face. So happy that I've swopped the old one out. I'll add couple of photos in a tick :)

Old & New:
[photo="medium"]5530[/photo]

Close as the iPhone will allow of the old one:
[photo="medium"]5531[/photo]

Last edited:
Ordered a cam follower today following a couple of judders that felt like fuel starvation, should be fitted Tuesday.

I agree this should be a part of a service item and doesn't look to bad Gary after that long. With access to it I had to chop a spanner in half to get to the fuel pipe underneath next to the banjo. Next on the list is cam chain and tensioners this is getting done next week I could of let the garage change the follower but I was bored and I no its done now aswel.

Been a busy week this week, after getting the car then getting it remapped it still didnt feel right. so had the dv valve of and it was torn to bits so fitted the GFB DV+ and what an absolute difference feels like a new car. well worth the £97. Also painted the grill and calipers and de tangod the headlights. cars also in on friday for cam chain and tensioners to be replaced then after all that the modding begins.
DSC 0521
DSC 0527

Is the
So I had the following items you wanted priced recently from Audi and they are as follows. Also keep in mind this is retail pricing and not trade.

Cam Chain Replacement parts : Total cost - £216.38

06D109281D - 3.288
06F109217A - 99.108
N10196303 - 0.588
06F103483D - 25.152
06D103121B - 6.036
06D109229B - 64.572
06D145117 - 5.016
WHT005184 - 12.624

If you going to get the chain replaced you might as well not bother with the cam follower because who ever is going to carry out the work for the cam chain they have to remove the cam follower anyway.

Oil Pick Up: £37.48

06F115251B - 31.884
N10653601 - 0.384
N0282222 - 5.22

Both items are dependent on were you go. So if you going by the standard £75 inc vat per hour then you looking at roughly the following.
Timing chain labour varies from 4 to 6 hours. - £300 - £450
Oil Pick up can range from 2 to 4 hours. - £150 to £300

Hope this helps

Is there any diy guides?

Been a busy week this week, after getting the car then getting it remapped it still didnt feel right. so had the dv valve of and it was torn to bits so fitted the GFB DV+ and what an absolute difference feels like a new car. well worth the £97. Also painted the grill and calipers and de tangod the headlights. cars also in on friday for cam chain and tensioners to be replaced then after all that the modding begins.View attachment 53693 View attachment 53694

Nice one, yes my DV was one of the first thing I changed as the original valve was completely knackered. I just knew it had gone cause it had the pace of a snail for a 200 bhp bus! The revised standard DV is fit for purpose too these days.

BR
A

Sorry mate garage did my chain.
Yer the dv made the car feel completely different but now the clutch is slipping so need to sort that now.

Was gonna buy this car myself ! made an offer it was refused so I bought a different car then he made me a good offer! Gutted tbh looked really clean !!

Sorry mate garage did my chain.
Yer the dv made the car feel completely different but now the clutch is slipping so need to sort that now.
question, i have been having what i call issues when changing 1st 2nd 3rd and reverse, sometimes they can be really smooth, then there are times when they are kinda tough to get to and other times its like trying to push something through a collection of stones, i also in those occasions have the slight sound of crunch of itll be a heavy sound (not as if its about to explode though) but its generally more of a constricted feel on the foot.

so wondering if ive got issues with the clutch or even worse like the gear box?