A4 2.0TDI 140 Loads Of White Smoke

janzbro

Reaction score
Hi all, the A4 has started to smoke like its got 200 bensons on the go at once. Does not seem to loose any power and is fine driving but when it pulls up at lights etc its smoking like crazy, white blue smoke not dirty black and smells a a bit oily. Strange thing is it doesnt do it all the time, most of the time its fine with little or no smoke?..EGR valve sticking perhaps, what do you think?

I seem to have the same issues and it's only visible when the temperature starts to drop. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread and I'll try to upload a video later.

Whats your coolant levels like? Mine did the same, turned out the head was cracked!!

If its only when its cold and engines cold thats just steam, if all the time white smoke sounds like head gasket or head (smoke may have a sweet smell to it, like antifreeze). White blue is usually rings or turbo seal.

If it smells of unburnt fuel and as you say it is whitish blue in colour it could be a sign of retarded injection timing and is sometimes referred to as a slight cool misfire. Could be a sensor giving incorrect reading and timing is retarding to quickly before engine is at correct temperature.