A4 2.0 TDi Quattro S-line Special Edition Avant

chrisp

Reaction score
Got to be the longest name for a car, ever. Anyway a little tale...

I ordered a new one of these back in May, from Tonbridge Audi, Kent. After a few months I was notified that the car was in - great. Two minutes later the phone rang again - it's not the spec you wanted. Not the Special Edition, no leather, no black pack, no sexy RS4-alike alloys. etc. - not so great.

But, to their credit, they allowed me to keep the car as a loan until the one I wanted arrived after a complete re-order. This gave me a few months to get to know the car... this car had an iPod connector, DVD Satnav system Plus (on offer for £500), Xenon plus with adaptive lights and tinted rears. All-in-all absolutely fine. Satnav hopeless in darkest backroutes of Devon (told me to turn across someones garden at one point) but great most of the time. The biggest disappointment was the iPod connector - you slot your iPod into a mount in the glove box and control it via the Satnav. But it only played the songs as if they were on cd's and a maximum of only 6, didn't display any song info (try finding your favourite track amongst 2000 songs all with the same name), and was an utter waste of money. I later discovered that you can load mp3's onto an SD card which goes into one of 2 slots behind the screen and this displays all the song info - just like an iPod, so did that. I also found the driving position slightly offset compared to my 52 plate S3 and would be crippled after a long drive - but, like all new cars, this just needs getting used to and is fine now.

So, that was the only gripe, but when I re-ordered I removed the iPod thing and rely on the SD cards (2gig card for what - £20 now! Bargain!). The new car arrived 2 days ago. Very sexy it is too and worth the wait.

But the worst bit of this tale.... as a way of making up for the error I was asked if I would like a drive of the new R8. I arrived at the dealers in mere moments. It was all black, all sexy and all mine - well, for half an hour. I've driven a few supercars but this has arrived from another planet - absolutely staggering. I didn't like the way the R-Tronic box made the car lurch when pushing hard in corners so it would be a manual for me if I had the choice. But really, a mind-blowing experience. Why is it the worst bit of the tale... I know I shouldn't complain but the A4 2.0 TDi Quattro S-line Special Edition Avant just isn't the same.

Well done on the new Avant. good chocie and obviously you are delighted with it.

R8 - great for a quick blast but think of it this way...... could you get two Labradors or push chairs in the back of an R8.

I personally love the A4 Avant as it's a bigish car without feeling big and cumbersome.

Couldn't agree more marms - nor could the new choc labrador and the 2 kids. Always loved the A4 - still got an S reg 2.8q that drives as well as the day it left the factory and nothing has ever gone wrong (touching cheap pine desk as I type), but sadly got to go soon.

lol - nice one cupramax. Got my cards a couple of months ago but staggering how they drop in price - top link too, cheers.

I'll get some pics of the A4 up this arvo.

chrisp

Got an pics yet?

If all goes to plan should be getting one of these cars the weekend.
Have driven the 2WD version but not the Quattro version!
Does the MPG suffer much?

Does any one know if you can chip the 2.0 TDI 170 (DPF) yet?
I thought there was problems with this??

Thanks

Keef