A4 2.0 TDi economy, what are people getting?

Only way to get a true reading for mpg is to...Fill tank to neck,Zero trip meter,Put some miles up(the more miles the more accurate the reading),When you refill take a note of the miles driven and the litres it took to refill to neck,............DEEP BREATH ! Now divide the litres used by 4.54 to get gallons and divide the miles between fills by this gallon figure .DONE! My car with a mix of town and motorway driving always averages 38mpg....and thats a fair mix of usual pottering round in traffic and plenty of hard acceleration when i feel like it.Drive like a priest and get 50mpg or use the torque of the diesel and enjoy it and get 38mpg (a very reasonable figure)

Thats precisely the way I am calculating it. I have a spreadsheet running on my phone and update it at each fill. Forget the DIS thats about 2mpg out! Using this method I have so far got on the last 4 fills 34, 34, 30 and 29 so mine is getting worse with mileage but apparently I should expect poor economy as I was stupid enough to choose a quattro?!:keule:

Quattro is always going to be worse on fuel, extra 2 wheels to drive and the extra weight of the axles/driveshafts etc. 30 is pretty pants though! the last tank in my 140 worked out at 49mpg - Happy days:icon_thumright:

I guess its all about driving styles, traffic and weather conditions. I drove my mothers A4 1.9TDI 140bhp (B5 not B7 I know) to Basildon from Carlisle, and I covered the whole journey with a quarter of a tank, Trip computer reported avg mph as 75, avg mpg 54. As usual I set off at 3am so there was no traffic at anypoint on the way there, but on the way back I used nearly two quarters which to note was traffic almost most of the way.
So there is a lot of factors to take into account when working out your MPG.

Still not happy with the performance or the MPG!
Think i've got the wrong car (Quattro)!
Done 4K now and still only getting 35mpg it is getting better but can't be ***** to wait untill i've done 40k. and performance in 1st gear is a joke!

Ok guys, i'm just about to sell my 98 A4 Avant 1.9tdi Quattro Sport, which has been a great car with good economy. My car returns 47 mpg (mixed driving)with bigger injectors and flies when pressed. I am debating on a S line A4 140 tdi (fwd) as i cant afford the quattro or a BMW 320d se, both around a 2005 model. Which would you most rate as the better car? I've driven both but can't make up my mind and I'm a liitle worried about mpg having read this thread, the BMW has it's problems too. Also how does the fwd audi compare on handling with the quattro? this is one of the things that attracts me to the BMW as it's RWD, I've been to the Nurburgring in my quattro(i've fitted coil overs) and the cornering ability was awesome. Unbiased answers if possible please?

Both are good cars the bmw is slightly ahead in terms of drivability due to the RWD. The audi is probably better in terms of cabin as the bmw is sparse. I find audi seats more comfortable.

I have to say BMW parts are cheaper even from a stealer. A little dearer than ford generally.

However BMW use cam chains and not belts so that is one big expense less. I also find bmw servicing cheaper as well as maintenance as things like CV joints and boots are less prone to going.

I own both BMW and audi. I like driving the BMW for its handling but for comfort the audi is definitely better especially as a passenger.

Hope this helps

Since my last post the economy appears to be improving slightly but is so variable, as is the power! Monday I drove from Gatwick to Norwich and DIS showed 42mpg, the journey was on nearly clear roads (9pm) and fairly constant 75-80mph. The next day on the return trip, identical conditions same average speed etc - DIS reported 37mpg?

Anyway today my wife broke down in the car - the dreaded engine management fault light accompanied by near complete loss of power. In my mind this confirms what I originally suspected - I think there has been something wrong with the car all along. The car has been left with the dealer and I am considering rejecting it back to the lease company. Not what you expect from a £34k car with 4500 miles on the clock.

A very very disappointed Audi owner - never before have I contemplated visiting a BMW or Merc dealer but I am close now!

i wish i could get near these figs, i only get approx 340 miles per tank. I was happy to see 31mpg on a trip today.

On a recent trip to Scotland doing 300 motoway miles and 306 spirited A & B Roads I got a total of 606 on a full tank in My 06 TDI S line 140 Not bad ??????

After doing nearly 6.5k miles I’m still just about getting an average of 36mpg (450 miles) on a full tank of diesel.
I originally express my concerns over the economy and lack of power in the first two weeks of having the car!
It would seem that the combined MPG figure quoted for the 2.0TDi 170 Quattro Avant is a misprint in the sale brochure
and apparently Audi have now acknowledged this! But even based on the salon figure I never achieve anyway near this!
Car has been at the dealership since Monday undergoing tests – they said there’s nothing wrong with the car and they got 39.3mpg over a 100miles.
(Wasn’t thrilled bout the 100 miles on the clock or some punk driving round in my car but got a full tank of diesel out of it so can’t really complain)
Just spoke to the sales rep who sold me the car and basically the dealership have said the cars fine and if I’m not happy to take it up with
Audi customer services, just got of the phone to them!
I’m really F**ked off with the dealership as they seem to have taken a step back, as far as I’m concerned I bought the car off them and they should take this up with customer services on my behalf!

Just waiting for customer services to come back to me now!

Any one else having similar problems like this??

Keef