A4 2.0 TDI 2007 smoke

David68

Reaction score
Hi all
Looking for some advise from you guys.

I have an A4 2 litre TDI convertible owned the car for just over a year and it has been a pleasure.
About a month ago I got a problem with the flashing glow plug light and the car going into limp home mode, of to the garage turns out it was a sensor, pressure switch which tells the car when the DPF needs to clean its self.

Now after a week or so I noticed some grey blue smoke when I pulled away, after less than 15 seconds the smoke clears and only returns if the car is idle at a stop but not all the time??

Has the turbo reached the end of its life or something else?

The car has covered 109000 miles and has been well looked after its just about due for its next oil change.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The colour of the smoke indicates oil being burnt. First thing to do which is cheap and easy is to remove the fuel filter and drain the fuel that is in there into a clear cup and let it settle.

It should come out clean, but if it comes out black then there's a good chance oil is mixing in with the fuel. This is likely to be the tandem pump. These are prone to fail in the PD TDI engines found in these cars.

It only takes about 1-2 hours to replaced the pump, but they are not cheap. If I'm not mistaken they cost several hundred from Audi, but you can get a new Genuine OEM Audi one for £250 from Darkside Developments.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/genuine-vw-2-0-tdi-tandem-pump-03g-145-209-d.html

First things first though, remove the fuel filter and see if he fuel is clean or contaminated. If it's clean, its not your tandem pump, if its contaminated then it probably is your tandem pump.