A4 2.0 TDI 2006 - Power Loss, stays mostly under 3000 RPM

dRu

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've been a forum reader for a while now, trying to get ideas to fix a problem I'm having with mine. I decided to expose my problem to see if I can get any other ideas, since I'm all out...
By the way, I'm not a mechanic, so go easy on me. :)

The problem - started last year in August, in higher RPM it would cut off, almost like if the turbo stopped working, then seconds in, it would kick back in. This problem developed consistently, to a point where it had no power to overtake, and struggle uphill. Now, it doesn't develop well, and its almost capped at 3k rpm. Needs extra acceleration to get going on 1st gear.

It has no error codes!!! not one...ever!

What has been done:
Two different shops, many combined months of shop "stay-over"
- Air Mass sensor replaced (AUDI one, even thought, I tried two others before - one bosh, one from china lol)
- Turbo pressure checked (2BAR - deduct the atmosphere 1Bar.. )
- Vacuum system has no leaks
- EGR valve canceled
- Injectors tested, they told me it passed the test, but later on the chief mechanic told me it was the injectors...??
- No smoke coming out through the exhaust
- I turn the car on, like a clock, everything sounds great.

In sum, with everything that was done, the car is now worse...

So, I'm at the brink of calling in a priest.

Hopefully, someone here can push me in the right direction. I love this car and want to keep it.

PS: I live on an island, there is no AUDI shop here... :(
Also, they did a bypass here [see img] in the vacuum circuit (??) now the T is gone. Does anyone know what this is for?

Thanks in advance!
dRu

Attachments

• 0JL90V9Z1.jpg
    0JL90V9Z1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,267
I had an interesting issue with mine, the temp sonsor at the turbo got busted and it did not throw out an error. Our symptoms dont sound exactly similar, but maybe have a look at temps during startup. My egt was 400 degC at startup (which is nonsense). Will be an easy fix if thats your prob as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had your turbo checked as I had a similar problem and I took the inlet pipe off the turbo and video'd it when it was cold as once it had warmed up it would run fine to a certain point and then all of a sudden there would be nothing but black smoke and no boost.

Here's a video of mine.....

Interesting, but the turbo has been checked and it's working fine. It was my first thought when the problem started, it felt like the turbo would stop working as she would lose power.
But I'll have another look, and use your video as reference.

Thanks bud

Have you changed the fuel filter as I had a similar issue with the car not revving past 3000rpm. Turned out the fuel filter was blocked cause fuel starvation at higher revs

Have you changed the fuel filter as I had a similar issue with the car not revving past 3000rpm. Turned out the fuel filter was blocked cause fuel starvation at higher revs

Yup, it was replaced a few weeks ago :(

Can an old battery be the culprit?

It sounds like a boost leak to me, have you thoroughly checked all the intake pipes, joints and IC?

did you ever fix the problem i have exactly the same issues and could do with help

Egr removed and deleted and no cat just put a new turbo on no revs same as before turbo fitted. Could it be intake manifold

Cleaned throttle body changed swirl flaps manifold. Still no power 1st and second and hesitates to rev really baffled now

If you have variable timing on the TDI then there will be cam adjusters triggered by oil pressure fed actuators which change the cam position accordingly. The actuators are easy to change (on petrol engines at least, not sure about diesel).

Going to change cam sensor and cam belt water pump needs doing as well hope that works if not i will look into adjusters. Thanks for input i will let you know how i get on

Going to change cam sensor and cam belt water pump needs doing as well hope that works if not i will look into adjusters. Thanks for input i will let you know how i get on
Hi mate I've got the same issue diid you get resolve the problem buddy, if can please let me know

Hi everyone.

I've been a forum reader for a while now, trying to get ideas to fix a problem I'm having with mine. I decided to expose my problem to see if I can get any other ideas, since I'm all out...
By the way, I'm not a mechanic, so go easy on me. :)

The problem - started last year in August, in higher RPM it would cut off, almost like if the turbo stopped working, then seconds in, it would kick back in. This problem developed consistently, to a point where it had no power to overtake, and struggle uphill. Now, it doesn't develop well, and its almost capped at 3k rpm. Needs extra acceleration to get going on 1st gear.

It has no error codes!!! not one...ever!

What has been done:
Two different shops, many combined months of shop "stay-over"
- Air Mass sensor replaced (AUDI one, even thought, I tried two others before - one bosh, one from china lol)
- Turbo pressure checked (2BAR - deduct the atmosphere 1Bar.. )
- Vacuum system has no leaks
- EGR valve canceled
- Injectors tested, they told me it passed the test, but later on the chief mechanic told me it was the injectors...??
- No smoke coming out through the exhaust
- I turn the car on, like a clock, everything sounds great.

In sum, with everything that was done, the car is now worse...

So, I'm at the brink of calling in a priest.

Hopefully, someone here can push me in the right direction. I love this car and want to keep it.

PS: I live on an island, there is no AUDI shop here... :(
Also, they did a bypass here [see img] in the vacuum circuit (??) now the T is gone. Does anyone know what this is for?

Thanks in advance!
dRu
do you solve it?

I had this problem on my TFSI engine. Changed the N75 - boost control solenoid on the turbo and problem solved.

Not familiar with the TDI engine though so may not be the same?

What happened with mine was the solenoid was stuck shut, meaning all boost was sent straight to the waste gate actuator, which opens the waste gate and stops your turbo spooling.

It was like driving around in limp mode. Car would not go above 3k rpm (where the turbo would usually kick in) and would not go above 50mph - no error codes or engine management light.

Hope that helps

Reactions: Pie-eyedpiper
How did you get on did you manage to solve it same problem here any help would be great cheers.