1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues - 21/07/18

Please accept our apologies for difficulties you may be experiencing using the site today.
    We are aware of a technical issue and are working to resolve it. There may be more brief outages; we will aim to keep disruption to a minimum, but unfortunately some is inevitable in order to resolve the issue with minimum delay.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

A4 2.0 TDI 170 - 160,000 miles - Too much?

Malorrr Jul 13, 2018

1. Malorrr

Malorrr New Member

Hi All,

I'm going this evening to look at a 07 A4 Avant S Line 170bhp with 160,000 miles. The car is specced very well and from the pictures it appears to be in great condition. The car is priced very well and it's appealing to me as it's exactly what I'm looking for in terms of spec.

I've started doing about 50,000 miles a year so I will basically be running this car into the ground, I was thinking firstly of getting a car with closer to 100k but either way, I will be sucking the value out of the car. My questions would be firstly am I mad?

Secondly what should I look out for maintenance wise that has been done on the car, obviously timing + water pump and a clutch at some point but should the turbo have been replaced at this mileage too?

The car is a good 2k cheaper than any other 100k example, so my thinking is that with the mileage I'm doing there really isn't a point in spending more money as I will be knocking out any value straight away, and with the left over cash I should be OK for any issues that come up.

This is a BRD engine, which I believe is not as bad as the BRB engines for oil pump issues but is it something that should be looked at with a car at this mileage?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. daytonamart

daytonamart Well-Known Member

With proper maintenance this engine will do 300k no problem.

4. b6ben

b6ben New Member

I had a 2.0tdi BRD engine my last car and I did the oil pump mod at about 120k, and let’s just say I’m glad I did it as the shaft was well worn.

It’s kind of pot luck when/if they even fail, sorry if this isn’t what you wanted to hear.

I wouldn’t let that put you off though, just get it sorted with the money you have saved and it will run forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Apart from obvious wear & tear issues the engine/turbo should be fine as long as it's had good, regular engine oil maintenance. I'm wary of any car where this maintenance is patchy or partially missing.

Sibmets likes this.