1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 190 TDI S-Tronic Gearbox

craigomills Dec 7, 2018 at 9:28 AM

1. craigomills

craigomills Active Member Team Ibis TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic

My S-line Avant with the S-Tronic has become really sluggish. It is at 26k miles and has had its services etc.

I know the S-Tronic is known for being a bit slow in responding, but recently it has got a lot worse. Even in S mode it has become noticeably slower to react and even quite jerky when setting off.

Is this normal? or should I be looking to get it booked in, for Audi to tell me they can't find a fault?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS4

S mode always makes the pulling away process less than smooth as it increases the sensitivity of the throttle.

So by sluggish - do you think the engine is that way inclined or that the transmission is impeding performance?

4. craigomills

craigomills Active Member Team Ibis TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic

The engine feels fine as is strong enough once on the move, just feels like its being held back more than normal

5. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS4

Probably needs checking out - you might have a brake dragging for example.

6. A4B9

A4B9 Active Member Team Moonlight saloon TDi Audi A4 quattro

My old 2.0 TDI was around 25000 miles and the gearbox was exactly the same as you describe it, sluggish even in S mode.

7. WesT-gefül

WesT-gefül Active Member Bronze Supporter

With temp drops I’ve noticed a slight change in jerkiness (more prominent & first winter with the b9). Not sure how the gearbox could be sluggish in S, In what way exactly. Is the car up to temp when you notice this?

8. rich_16

rich_16 Member

I’ve also noticed this on my S tronic and I’m a similar mileage. On a few occasions the lag is about twice as bad as usual. I put my foot down but nothing happens for what seems like an age. Definitely worse than the usual lag.

Keep meaning to book it in but in the past I’ve had Audi look at it but they say it’s normal.

9. Aldi-Sport Chap

Aldi-Sport Chap Member

I'm on 14k and it's getting worse. I don't know why, but just before it decides to regen the DPF it gets ridiculous, so much so that I took it to the stealers. Guess what? It did a regen on the way and was back to its crappy normal. That doesn't apply to TFSI but the rant made me feel better!

That said, recently mine has had sleeps. Even rolling back seemingly out of gear on hill starts. Also getting stuck in a lower gear and hitting the rev limiter. It is very intermittent and the so called mechanics will say "computer says nah". Basically it ruins an otherwise brilliant car.

As for S mode, it does not affect throttle response. Dynamic does that but if you just flick the selector back it's only the gearbox that changes from utterly **** to very slightly less utterly ****.

10. Aldi-Sport Chap

Aldi-Sport Chap Member

I didn't realise I can't say ****.

Can I say c r a p?

Bellasdad likes this.