A4 1.9tdi Quattro engine revs clattering

Funkyfin2000

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Hi Peeps,

150k 1.9 tdi AVF engine code and I seem to have an audible clatter that increases with the revs.
Nothing showing up on VAG com but when in 3rd/4th gear it's loud enough to be heard with the window down when driving.

Not so noticeable with in 5th or 6th so it seems to be louder the more revs that are on.

It's like a clatter/tickety tick sound. Definetly increases speed with the revs.

I know I defo need a clutch - but it happens in gear or out (IE if I rev the card hard on the drive out of gear) it still happens.

Any pointers? Nothing obvious and I've had the top end checked for cam wear before now, with no issues...

Rich

Take rocker cover off and check camshaft lobes for wear...common problem on pd engines kept on longlife servicing or when Non PD oil used...

If your clutch is worn it could be the dmf.
When you rev it in neutral, is it quieter if you depress the clutch?

Cheers so far guys....bit more info...so the clattering is starting to get a bit louder and is easily heard on stand still revving.

It's also apparant when driving you can feel like a 'wobble' or vibration through the engine note, especially at 3000/4000RPM in 3rd.... less so at 6th gear 2000RPM... defo worse with the higher the revs.

It's not quieter or any different with the clutch engaged or not....

I do wander if it's the DMF....150k and never been changed I don't think so probably needs doing...

I did have the top end checked about 30k ago due to smoking and rough idle and the cam lobes were all fine and spotless. Servicing has been 10k etc.....

When the engine is at idle depress the clutch, if the noise changes or goes when fully pressed the the dual mass flywheel is dead.
Very common on diesels due to the vibrations made by the engine

I see, try it to see if it makes any difference.

I have had a 1.9 spit it's turbo and guts inside the engine. Tiny shards of ally get into the engine between the piston and head. I'm assuming the engine still has it's normal power?

If it's low on power then it could be the cam worn.

Been 200miles today and the vibration/clattering noise is louder than ever. Clutch pedal engaged or not makes no difference.

Car black smokey on putting accelerator down - was smokey anyway tbh but probably worse now.

Sounds like coming from top of engine, can definitely feel it accelerating hard in 3rd, like the car is almost struggling and slightly sluggish.

Rich

Take rocker cover off and check camshaft lobes for wear...common problem on pd engines kept on longlife servicing or when Non PD oil used...
See above, unless you know what to look at, it won't look obvious at first glance...

Reactions: Funkyfin2000
thanks guys - I will get the garage to check it out - goes in a week on tuesday.

Will I do any further harm driving it if this is the issue?

Whats involved in fixing this - expensive I'm guessing??

This

It happened to me resulting in a hydraulic follower being destroyed.
£1600 bill at the end.

Or it's the dmf, it will still rattle out of gear too, I made the mistake of going for an smf which was the worst choice I've made for a car

I've just changed my DMF and clutch and the chattering I thought was the dual mass is still present at the front of the engine! Will be changing the followers/idlers as I'm certain my noise is from there. Had 2 different mechanics tell me the noise was the DMF, but obviously its not.

I do have a video of the chatter that might help......will see if I can upload it.

So it's been at the garage today..... camshaft!

So going to get the darkside kit and go down that route - genuine parts and fitting was over £1k!!!! :(
I went for the darkside stuff
Really good quality and service. I did everything, vacuum pump, new followers, lifters, can, valves, head set, water pump, belts and tensioners, headbolts plus service aswell