a4 1.9tdi clutch slipping

yendall24

Reaction score
hi all . i am looking for some advice regarding my clutch just recently started to notice that my clutch is slipping it first happend when i had quite a bit of weight in the car and tried to accelerate in 5th gear but since unloading the car it does not do it . i have put it in 1st with the handbrake on and there seems to be no slip other than this the car drives great there are no noises or vibration . so do i have to replace it as a matter of urgency or could it go on for a while also do you think i will only have to replace the friction disc thrust bearing and preasure plate or is it possible the its the dmf thats at fault . also whats your oppinion on swapping the dmf for a solid fly wheel .any advice would be appreciated

ive got a solid flywheel on my 1.8 t which I have now run for a year and i have to say whilst it is great at transfering the power, particularly at higher revs, its a lot noisier through the gearbox etc, and its noticeable when accelarating. There is also more vibration, because of the balancing effect on the engine. I would expect this to be worse on a diesel engine as they vibrate more by their very nature as an engine. It also gives a heavier clutch action which can get wearing in a lot of stop start traffic. Im planning to change back to a dmf, as its also too much to my wife to drive the car. Good luck with your decision.

It does sound like your clutch is wearing, both my cars previous and now tdi's were just slipping under load and when i took the clutch out they were wearing but not totally shot, if yours drives ok unladen then it might be ok for a bit but would be worth changing it for piece of mind. If you just get the clutch done , make sure the flywheel gets a proper inspection to make sure its ok, replace if there is any doubt of condition. Personally i don't like solid flywheels, haven't had good experiences with them on the pd's, Its worth getting a new dual mass then you have no worry of noises, vibration. This is my opinion, im sure others out there will disagree with this !

clutch unlikely to slip in 1st gear... best test in from fairly low speed (25pmh-40mph) in 5th or 6th and then nail the throttle from 1k rpm to 2k rpm and get somebody to keep an eye on the revst o see if there's any random surges....

it's probably on it's way out but depending on how much you were pushing it (weight / remap / etc), you may have 6 months or so left in it... start saving either way...