A4 1.8TQS engine mount problem?

SimonN

Reaction score
Hi All

Does anybody know whether A4 1.8T Quattros are particularly hard on engine mounts? Mines done about 100k and seems to have a knock from somewhere on gear changes and on the overrun. It feels like an engine mount and seems to be accompanied by the gear stick jolting. What's a little odd is that it doesn't do it all the time, and never does it from cold. I've had the car on a ramp and there is no obvious play in any of the bushes or any of the mounts but there seems to be something wrong! Has anybody had any similar experiences or got any suggestions? Does it sound like engine mounts to you? Are they a common failure and, if so, any one in particular?

Cheers guys,

Simon

Sounds like a transmission, or rear differential mount.

I'd replace them anyway, at least the gearbox ones. At about 100,000 miles, they may well be a bit too soft.

"Maybe it only does it when you're driving it 'properly' "

Oddly, it doesn't do it when you drive it quickly with quick gear changes, in fact, driving it hard means it as smooth as silk. The main problem is around town, short shifting through 1st and 2nd gear. To describe it as clunky would be a bit of an understatement and unless you are very smooth with the clutch you get a bit of a rough ride. I'm not sure whether this is a 4wd trait? Drive it like you stole it and it's not a problem :yes:

I must admit, when we had the car on the ramp I didn't pay a lot of attention to the gearbbox mount, is it clearly visible from underneath ?

Cheers
Simon

Yes, gearbox mounts are clearly visible from underneath.

A lot more accessible than engine mounts too.

my 1.8T FWD does this too.

Its not there all the time and seems to come and go.

I find it most noticable when going from overrun to accelleration for instance on smooth fast raods like the motorway, lifting off the throttle sometimes results in a sort of clunk, not metallic as such, more like a large weight moving around accompanied with the shifter moving a little and another clunk when accellerating again

it doesnt always do it, sometimes will only do it on either lifting off or accellerating and sometimes doesnt do it at all

Are the gearbox mounts the first port of call? and are OE replacements fine or should i look at upgrading them?

Aragorn,

Yep, what you are descibing sounds exactly the same as mine. It's booked in to a mates garage on Friday, I'm going to have a real good look round with him. I'll let you know if I find anything....

Simon

Quick update, and a bump incase anybody else has any ideas!

Spent 2 hours with the car on a ramp yesterday. Changed the offside mount and it made no difference at all. We THINK the knock is coming from the rear differential mount, the big one that is just behind the drivers seat. However, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. So, I'm going to change the front mount next, the one at the bottom of the engine that mounts below the radiator. We're thinking that if this one is moving it will allow all sorts of transmission play. Oh, and it's only cheap (about £4 from Audi).

If anybody else has any ideas that would be great, if not, I'll post again once we've changed it. That rear diff mount looks expensive, so that'll be the last one that gets changed!!

Cheers
Simon

Further update time....

Changed the front mount (snub mount) and 95% of the knocks and bangs have gone away! I'm not sure whether the original mount was worn or whether it was the positioning of the metal bracket that the mount sits in was wrong (it's on slots so it's adjustable). Anyway, hope that helps somebody.

Oh, and olds_kool, thanks for the link mate. Makes interesting reading and I may try a couple if the tips (filling the mounts with windscreen adhesive) to see if it takes away the other 5%. Cheers mate.

Simon