A4 1.8T 120bhp remap

Nik_87

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster after seeing an A4 for sale locally that I'm interested in. I have googled my question multiple times but can't find exactly what I'm after, at least not comprehensively.....

I'm looking to view a 59' A4 1.8 petrol 120bhp tomorrow and was curious on its engine, current driving experience and the remap potential.

Firstly does anyone have experience of the engine as standard, and does it feel as hugely underpowered as a number of forums seem to suggest? I'm no boy racer but I wouldn't want the car to feel underpowered for general overtaking etc (I feel like as the years move on, so have the acceptable levels of bhp, where 120bhp a few years ago was perfectly fine).

Secondly, is this actually a detuned version of the 160bhp engine that forums tend to suggest? it doesn't seem to be extensively covered and I've seen mixed reports online.

Lastly, has anyone had the Revo remap software (around 200bhp) installed specifically on their A4 120bhp and if so how is/was it? I'm not interested in squeezing as much out of the engine as I can, just want a capable car should I need to overtake or make some ground up.

This is my first post but will surely be around more should I pull the trigger on it. Thank you very much in advance.

Nick

Hi all,

I ended up buying the said vehicle, if anyone has any experience with the above queries I'd be most grateful :)

Heellloo, i've also got the 120bhp engine same as you just a couple years newer..
I had a top end engine rebuild last week due to the notorious oil problem with these engines, the 1.8t never really get talked about... I had a stage 1 remap at the same time after driving the car for a year un modifyed, engine wise, Like you said it was underpowered, not anymore, the remap has completely changed the car, i had te ECU rewritten the void the factory de tune so it now spools the turbo alot harder, this was 2 weeks ago, no oil troubles, yet, and the car performs amazing compared to before, torque, top end power and economy.. So pleased, you should get it done too

Hey Philbell,

Really appreciate your reply, I've been waiting eagerly for one so my delight when I saw this !

Great to hear the power upgrade is very noticeable, you plant your foot with the 120 and not much happens haha, I was expecting this though and don't find the car slow in everyday situations but when you need to push, overtaking etc it takes a bit of advance planning.

What map did you go with, Revo, APR or any other? Been quoted around £470 for the Revo and their maps seem to be well thought of but I'm happy to know about others out there.

Also did you just get the ECU de-restricted or did you also remap it from 160 upwards as Revo quote figures of around 200bhp from the unrestricted 160 mark.

Thanks again,
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No troubles Nik, nice to see a fellow 1.8t aha

Yeah like you say it's nothing special stock, it does get there but always felt a bit laboured to me, never been a speed freak I just want the looks and the car itself, but the remap was cery welcomed, feels asif what it was always meant to be now..
The map I can't say.. The ECU codes were sent to a guy in Italy via my local VAG garage VagCar in BridgeTown Cannock..
It cost me £100 only because i had alot of work done at the same time but it should of cost £350.. Also i believe it was just mapping the original 120, told that i should get 30-40 off the garage but when I picked it up they told me the "Italian guy" had bypassed the 120 and mapped from 160 to around 190, so a huge gain on standard power, so yes I can definietly feel the diffrence, feels asif the turbo actually comes in now, power does feel a little crazy though as the turbo kicks in alot sooner and doesnt stop pulling.
Where are you based? Revo would be good but thats a lot of ££
I also have 2 years warranty on my map

Argh I NEED this now, I only bought the car last week but patience isn't my strongest attribute when it comes to things like this.

That's a cracking deal for the map itself, would have been crazy not to, and love the way it sounds like it's changed your driving experience. I'm in South Wales and there's a Revo dealer close which is why I'm leaning towards that but you're right it's not cheap, and at that price won't come soon.

I held out a good year and half, mainly because of insurance and money, thats where were diffrent, yeah well they're a well recognised company so i guess you'll be paying for reasurance mainly..

Have a look on facebook for any guys that do it round by you, I wpukd stay away from pushing it to 200+ as i believe the fuel injectors maybe smaller on the 120's but I guess if your not on the power all the time it wouldn't matter, plus it would all be boost at top end power so ehh go for it

To be honest my impatience probably won't matter at the moment due to baby number two on the way. Hopefully in the new year I'll treat myself.

Nah I won't just be looking at whoever quotes the highest figure, I'd rather compromise a few numbers knowing the car is more comfortable at handling it.

Hey thanks again

Had a few prices back and surprised how much the cost can vary for a remap.

.....Just under £600 for a generic APR! Revo coming in around £480. Unicorn is a good run away but price wise the most reasonable so far. It's not something I would cheap out on, but as per above mention they seem to have a great rep so seems like a no brainier.

Time to get saving

R-Tech at Nuneaton have a good reputation with the 2.0 Tfsi, so by association, the 1.8 Tfsi , though they dont have a 4 wheel drive rolling road, so not so good if a quattro :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik_87
Sorry to resurrect this one. @philbell or anyone other 1.8t 120bhp owners.......I've had the vehicle for a few months now and still in the pipeline to visit unicorn more than likely for the remap, but I'm wondering if an issue I have is related to the vehicles power or maybe more clutch related.......

Setting off from 1st gear seems very underpowered and laboured, there's a bit of vibration through the pedal and it seems thought the car isn't far off stalling. On a flat I can pretty much set off without using the accelerator, it's laboured but it does bite and go, but again bit of vibration and not a very convincing pull off with or without a bit of throttle. I also find that the first bit of travel with the accelerator doesn't do much if anything which makes that clutch control a little less refined, and you need to get the accelerator pedal to a certain point of travel until there's a hint of power. Same goes for setting off from a crawl in second gear, car struggles as if there's not enough power there to get a smooth take-off. Hill starts are particularly annoying but I'd say the best take off is by using the electronic handbrake as I get the revs up before it releases, but I'm conscious of the clutch riding, bit of a pet hate.

At first I thought could be clutch related (I'm no mechanic but have driven and owned a food few cars so have a good feel for the way a clutch should feel), but due to the fact the car is generally underpowered I'm wondering if that's the issue, and would hopefully be rectified when I get it remapped.

I know reading a post will be difficult for any diagnosis which is why I'm hoping to reach fellow 1.8t 120bhp owners with this post to see if they have/had the same issue with theirs.

Apart from this I'm loving the car, really nice place to be, love the fact that you're wrapped in like a cockpit which you don't get with small cars (other vehicle is a new shape Leon FR and feel the Audi is a nicer place to be).

Thanks in advance for your time :grin:

Hi, Doesn't sound clutch related to me TBH. You need to check for fault codes. Have you changed fuel recently? Could be you have an air leak somewhere on the intake or just a throttle body reset might sort it. Check over the engine and have a look for any loose hoses , wet oil patches which might show a boost leak or hose with a hole in.

Hi, Doesn't sound clutch related to me TBH. You need to check for fault codes. Have you changed fuel recently? Could be you have an air leak somewhere on the intake or just a throttle body reset might sort it. Check over the engine and have a look for any loose hoses , wet oil patches which might show a boost leak or hose with a hole in.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I'll have a look over the weekend when I have some light available, and maybe take it in to a garage to check for any fault codes failing that. I use a number of different petrol stations that are used whenever I'm closest to one, but this is an issue I've noticed since the initial test drive and purchase in October. At the time I put it down to needing to get used to the clutch/throttle but a few months on it's evident there's probably an issue somewhere.

My clutch has gone through a couple diffrent phases, originally at 33k it was very clunky could and always have been able to pull off in 1st with no acceleration but yes before the remap 1st gear was horrible, always felt super laboured like it didn’t want to be pushed past 2k, ever since the remap this hasn’t been an issue, since had my engine rebuilt from Audi a thousand miles ago and with the worn in gearbox and clutch the car drives if you make it, like an auto, it’s so smooth ahhh it’s lovely to drive, get it remapped, make sure it’s a custom map though. Keep us updated

My clutch has gone through a couple diffrent phases, originally at 33k it was very clunky could and always have been able to pull off in 1st with no acceleration but yes before the remap 1st gear was horrible, always felt super laboured like it didn’t want to be pushed past 2k, ever since the remap this hasn’t been an issue, since had my engine rebuilt from Audi a thousand miles ago and with the worn in gearbox and clutch the car drives if you make it, like an auto, it’s so smooth ahhh it’s lovely to drive, get it remapped, make sure it’s a custom map though. Keep us updated

Thanks Phil, this morning I paid extra attention and noticed the vibration doesn’t really come through the clutch pedal as such but more through the engine as in the engine is struggling to set off with the power it has available, the car vibrates rather than the pedal (it’s that stalling vibration you get if you’re in too high a gear and about to stall). Once the car has bit and I’ve come off the clutch the car seems fine, slow, but fine!

Glad to hear the car feels good with you, remap seems to have helped no end. It’s becoming less of a want and more of a need for this Remap now (that’s what I’m telling myself to justify it anyway ).