A3 Wont start! :(

JamieBoulton

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the A3 world, brought myself a 05 A3 about a week ago but have been having issues with it, every so often it decided it does not want to start. It is as if it is immobiliser mode and wont start. Well last night I was stuck at a garage so had to get AA out as it just wasn't staring. The guy checked bits and bobs but he said it was the injector wiring loom, has anyone else had this problem and was this the fix?

Thanks Guys.

** its a1.9TDI btw.

Hi Jamie.

Welcome to the forum, I have an A3 1.9TDI. I have just had the wiring loom changed as I had problems with stuttering. I understand this is quite a common problem. The wiring on mine was a bit shot when it came off, it was all corroded. The wiring loom cost me about £60 from Audi, you can probably get it cheaper from somewhere else. It did not cure the problem with my a3. It is probably the cheaper option to try first.

I'm not sure about the 1.9 but I certainly know that the 2.0 tdi starter motor can become lazy and cause all sorts of starting problems

Yes, that's the part I have just changed.

Hi Jamie,

No it did not cure it, but I didn't have a problem with not starting, it was juddering for 10 seconds at around 50 mph.

I also cleaned the maf which was full of dust and tiny fragments if debris. This takes about 15 mins to do, but at least once cleaned also new this was not the problem.

We have hopefully come to the conclusions that the problem with my as stuttering is the manifold flap, not opening and closing. As we took it off and it was filthy but was also not opening and closing, after cleaning the manifold flap it still would not open and close, so I am now ordering a new one.

From here

These seems to have everything. You may get your wiring loom from here cheaper.

Control Flap AUDI A3 Convertible (8P7) 1.9 TDI ( 77 KW / 105 PS from 2008 ) - Engine Air Supply

You see thing is with mine is it starts most of the times but doesnt some others. had the car a week and only done it twice. When its running it runs sweet you see.

Instead of speculating this or that is wrong, best to have it scanned by VCDS / diagnostics.

It could equally be a poor earth connection..