A3 window rubber surround

Geeba

Reaction score
Hello - been a while since I was last here as my A4 went and I moved to a Sirocco but my partner has a 2016 A3 saloon.

Its got a bit of a problem where the passenger window seal has gone behind the glass and no amount of pulling it back makes it stay in place and the wind noise from such a small thing is a pain!

IMG 20220526 113558

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue or knows of a guide on how to get the trim off so I can try and secure it back better?

Cheers
G.

Did you try to push down the window and with a plastic trim tool pull it back?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hiya - yep we did... but it just goes back... I was thinking maybe dismantle it and use a bit of Sikaflex or silicone to stick it back in place? A pointer on how to get that section of the door apart would be a huge help... or gotchas etc...

Last edited:
Try putting a touch of heat on it mate, then pull it out, not too much with a heat gun that you warp the plastic, maybe a hair dryer, then let it cool down in correct shape.

Try putting a touch of heat on it mate, then pull it out, not too much with a heat gun that you warp the plastic, maybe a hair dryer, then let it cool down in correct shape.
This. We used to use a hair dryer (when I was a windscreen fitter) to heat it up so it was supple and compliant, then use a plastic dibber to hold it out while operating the window up and down a few times, then wind up and let it sit outside. When it's cooled it should have "relearned" where it's supposed to sit.

Reactions: Dunedin
Thanks everyone - much appreciated, I'll try a hair dryer today.... also today I'll be trying to repair the dent in the door some complete a55h0le did to it yesterday....

It could only happen when I'm running around in girlfriends car.... right on the swage line and down to the metal... I'm gutted!

IMG 20220526 172109

In regards to the window trim, my A3 saloon did the same and a few others on the forums have done it. It is a problem with the saloons I believe but so far my S3 saloon hasn't had this issue. Audi wanted circa £300 to replace the trim and lower the door. Gutted about the dent though but some patience and a touch up pen might be good enough until you want it properly fixing if you chose to do so.

Reactions: Geeba