A3 V6 '08 - Engine sounds like its in neutral

A3_Rider

Reaction score
Had a strange problem earlier;

The car was doing high speeds (legal of course:)) and when I let go of the rev and pressed the brakes it sounded as if the engine was in neutral, I then let go and it was ok, re-applied the brakes and it sounded like it was in neutral again. On the screen it showed Sport (S) and in 6th gear.

This problem went away when I tried it again 30 minutes later.

The car does randomly rev to 1-1.1k when idle then settles down.

My mind is telling me the mechatronics but could it be the engine too?

:detective2:

Has your car had the engine software update?? I am not sure when the update was released and whether your car would be effected as you have a late 3.2 registered car although it may of been built for a while before being registered. Check with Audi as to whether your car has been done.... This update had something to do with the idle of the engine.

Paddy on here is clued up on the 3.2 as he had owned one for a few years...

Cheers Scott
He shouldn't need the update on the car after MY06.
The fast tick over is a common fault and has various reasons so a VCDS scan is necessary.
dont quite understand the other problem, when you say it sounds as if its in neutral do you mean its revs are dropping to tick over ?? or its revving and not driving ? I doubt either way its anything to do with the fast tick over.

6th gear in Sport mode - errr how quick were you going?!

Sorry, don't have anything more useful to contribute - perhaps dirt in the fuel/fuel filter?