A3 trip computer upgrade

craigynett

Reaction score
in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of hu
Hi

a friend of mine has got a 2004 2.0TDi & as asked me to find out what parts need to be bought or work needs to be done to upgrade his trip computer.

Basically he has another mate with the same year & engine A3 but his mates computer tells him mpg, range etc etc whereas his doesn't!

I'm guessing that the wiper stalk would have to be replaced with a stalk with computer controls on the end.

What other parts would he need & what would the work involved be?

oh & yeh, it's been quite a long time since i was last on here. Not really been on sice we sold our A3!

thanks

Craig

You would also need the cluster with a full DIS & perhaps any sensors the cluster supports like washer fluid level etc. As you need a new cluster, it will also need the functions & the immobilizer coded. The latter really needs Audi to do though it appears getting them to code 2nd hand ones is a bit patchy.

It may not require a new cluster... does the existing cluster have the screen in the middle? My car (US spec, 2007) is a base model with DSG, so it had the screen for showing gear position but no multifunction capabilities. The conversion wasn't all that bad. You'll need Vag-com, a new wiper stalk, and it's going to expect a signal from the washer fluid level sensor, but you can simply add a repair wire to the cluster harness and ground it to a bolt behind the cluster. There is a write up, but unfortunately the pics have been dead for a long time:

Trip Computer Mod By A3Night - AudiForums.com

Keep in mind, this write up is based on a US car, so there may be some differences. If you've got the screen in you're cluster though it should be do-able. Oh, and if you follow that write up, don't copy the guy's long coding. Just go through the coding helper and tick the appropriate bits for DIS.

I may have a MF wiper stalk spare aswell.