A3 Trim Levels

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Hi All

After a brief break from Audi ownership I’m looking to purchase another A3 - saloon preferably if I can find what I want, but sportback otherwise - and just curious about trim levels (buying used so can’t specify exactly what I want!)

The main things I missed compared to my Focus when I had my A3 (think it was ‘Sport’ trim) was a heated windscreen and heated seats - are these standard on any level of A3 or always optional extras?

I’d also quite like leather seats - it seems I need to be getting an S-Line trim if I want even half leather - is that right? I also notice that in photos of even low mileage examples, the leather looks quite ‘loose’ in places - like it’s got baggy with use - I’d expect that over a long time but not the 10/20k mile examples I’m looking at. Is this a particular issue or is it just bad photos?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

No A3s have a front heated windscreen mate, rear one - yes. I think yes you need a S Line to get leather seats (not 100% as got an S3 and it's standard).
I wouldn't say the leather is baggy at all, it naturally creases sure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi, don't quote me but I don't think you can get heated front windscreen at all on any audi's yet - ford hold the patent and i think its only Mercedes that paid them to be able to use it. The patent expires soon i remember reading somewhere so most manufactures will have this in upcoming years. Heated seats are an option on all A3's too - non come with it as standard.

Half leather on the s-lines is right and yes it does crease on the sides, problem is that the sides are raised to hold you in a little and getting in and out you tend to crease it every time. Its not loose just a crease line, think of it as frown lines on your forehead haha. If you search the forum it's common on them all. I treat mine with leather care balm and really try to look after the leather but still appears creased

The leather looking baggy is often due to the heated seats being used a lot - Unfortunately Audi won't replace them under warranty

S3's have heated seats as standard - Look to see if the comfort pack has been added because that includes heated seats - Has to be leather and sport seats though

Thanks all. Didn’t know that about the heated windscreen being a Ford thing - will scratch that off the requirements list!

The leather looking baggy is often due to the heated seats being used a lot - Unfortunately Audi won't replace them under warranty

S3's have heated seats as standard - Look to see if the comfort pack has been added because that includes heated seats - Has to be leather and sport seats though
NB - the Comfort pack changed significantly for the FL. Didn’t include heated seats in PFL.
Also note that A3’s have 4 trim levels - SE, Sport, S-Line and S3.
But the saloon starts at Sport ( no SE saloon)

Didn’t know that about the heated windscreen being a Ford thing - will scratch that off the requirements list!
My first experience of Fords "Quickclear" windscreen was on my dads 1987 Sierra, then I had it for the first time myself on a 1989 Orion and on many Fords since. It really is a great thing to have. :)
Ford originally owned the patent but would allow other manufacturers to license it on an individual basis, but this worked out massively expensive so nobody took them up on it.
The patent ran out years ago and now even a Vauxhall Corsa can be had with a heated windscreen, so I am puzzled why a premium manufacturer like Audi do not offer it on any of their models.

I'm collecting my Sportback on Friday. I wondered about getting an S Line but have settled on a Sport. S Line is lower and does look a little nicer but it comes at extra financial cost and you go from part real/part artificial leather to a cloth/leather combo.

Colin

I'm collecting my Sportback on Friday. I wondered about getting an S Line but have settled on a Sport. S Line is lower and does look a little nicer but it comes at extra financial cost and you go from part real/part artificial leather to a cloth/leather combo.

Colin
You can get the S-Line suspension foc on the Sport. Harder though of course. We had foc SE suspension on our Sport after a demo drive on country roads.

Hopefully I've made the correct choice. The A3 is based on the Golf chassis and I have found my caravans have always sat a little nose up with previous versions of this. The slight drop in suspension height may bring the van more level and a firmer rear end [don't laugh] is better than being on the soft side when towing.

Colin

Thanks all for the advice. Took the plunge and paid a deposit on a nearly new A3 today.

1.0 TFSI S Line in Floret Silver, doesn’t have the heated seats but preferred the S Line styling to the Sport and in all other aspects will be orders of magnitude better than my 9 year old Focus.

Proper excited now, will be nearly 2 weeks until I get my mitts on it but nice to have found something so quickly.

Reactions: KenL and Jassyo06
Thanks all for the advice. Took the plunge and paid a deposit on a nearly new A3 today.

1.0 TFSI S Line in Floret Silver, doesn’t have the heated seats but preferred the S Line styling to the Sport and in all other aspects will be orders of magnitude better than my 9 year old Focus.

Proper excited now, will be nearly 2 weeks until I get my mitts on it but nice to have found something so quickly.
Congrats mate, sportback or saloon? And of course we expect pics when it arrives!

Reactions: BRISTOL86
Congrats mate, sportback or saloon? And of course we expect pics when it arrives!

Sportback mate. Was pretty easy either way but thought from a practicality point of view the Sportback made more sense.

Pics when I get my hands on it for sure, should be picking up on Saturday week.

Reactions: Adam14
We thought that even the Sport suspension was rather hard, which was why we opted for the SE.

Aside from the larger wheels, is the Sport suspension any different from that on the SE? I thought they both had the standard “dynamic” suspension?

I wonder if this is true for the FL as well as the PF? I couldn’t see any mention of this on the Audi configurator.