A3 to S3. Would you?

springer

Reaction score
Would you part with your 2013/4 A3 2.0l Tdi 184 Quattro S Line S tronic with 55k miles, Satnav, rear parking sensors, hill hold assist and a brand new set of Michelin Ps4's on original refurbished Audi rims PLUS £15k for a 2017/8 (310bhp) S3 Black edition with 15k miles with sunroof, B&O sound, 19" original Audi rims, full leather, heated seats and Satnav but no virtual cockpit? Both cars are in a very good condition.

Last edited:
Nope

i think you would be like wheres the extra 15k gone.

i would change cars completely if you want to change that way it will feel like a new experience / new car

Reactions: springer
Yes poles apart these 2 cars

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: rashu786 and springer
Would you part with your 2013/4 A3 2.0l Tdi 184 Quattro S Line S tronic with 55k miles, Satnav, rear parking sensors, hill hold assist and a brand new set of Michelin Ps4's on original refurbished Audi rims PLUS £15k for a 2017/8 (310bhp) S3 Black edition with 15k miles with sunroof, B&O sound, 19" original Audi rims, full leather, heated seats and Satnav but no virtual cockpit? Both cars are in a very good condition.
What colour is the S3 BE? In principal though yes. The S3 is the sweet spot in the A3 range.

Yes indeed. I think Daytona looks better with the BE......just personally. Still and all things considered I'd go S3 if you have the chance.

Nope

i think you would be like wheres the extra 15k gone.

i would change cars completely if you want to change that way it will feel like a new experience / new car

Lol not really.

I had this with the 8P S3 to RS3. Basically it was 17k plus the S3 to change, which seemed a lot at the time (2012) but it was worth it.

Did the same going from PFL to FL 8V RS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only reservation it’s got no VC.

Makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a really nice A3, my fourth, last year - a 2014 1.4T Sport. On reflection, it was a gateway back into my current 2018 S3 (see thread elsewhere); in itself a return to performance cars after a gap of 5-6 years for me.

The gap between these two cars was arguably bigger than between a 184 TDI quattro S Line and an S3, though. I have the Virtual Cockpit in my S3 and agree it's definitely worth considering.

On balance, I would personally make the change you're thinking of - but also be quite happy to keep the current 184 TDI.

On another note that's worth a mention a 2017/18 S3 is the most desirable model of the 8v's entire production run and hold their value extremely well yes the prices are high right now but they won't drop much at all due the huge demand for them perhaps you should source one with the virtual cockpit and super sport seats as these options are really the icing on the 8v FL S3's cake

Reactions: Mr Freeze, Jimbob76, Tom.H and 2 others

Vc will be the deal breaker for me.
How much you getting for a trade in of the tdi?
My math makes that s3 almost £30k. I would probably sell mine if I can get £30k :)

On another note that's worth a mention a 2017/18 S3 is the most desirable model of the 8v's entire production run and hold their value extremely well yes the prices are high right now but they won't drop much at all due the huge demand for them perhaps you should source one with the virtual cockpit and super sport seats as these options are really the icing on the 8v FL S3's cake

I am afraid not many to choose from where I come from. The only other way is to source one from the U.K. but with Brexit prices skyrocketed. Had got mine from the U.K. three years back. Did not have to pay any Vat and duty. With vat and duty prices are now ridiculous.

Reactions: 8YARWY and Jassyo06
I personally wouldn't add have thought about it numerous times.

It's basically the same car, sans slightly larger turbo, tiny bit of beefed up internals and dsg ratios.

A3 to rs3 is another story, but then again it's a ton more money too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I went from a 2015 A3 Sportback 1.4 COD 150Bhp S Line (55k miles) to a 2017 FL S3 Saloon (17k miles)

The difference was £14k.

I have VC on the S3 but apart from that they are identical spec.

I am very pleased with my decision!

As others have said VC does make a difference and makes it feel much newer internally. The air vents on the A3 were much better though. The difference in power and sound is significant and noticeable too.

I’m surprised at how much the S3 appears to have held it’s value since purchased September 19.

I have just done almost exactly that!!!
2011 184 2.0 TDI quattro Sport manual A3 8P loaded to 2017 310 Quattro saloon S3 8V not so loaded and as Jassey says It is in a different league, It is a different car!!! I am one happy bunny and doing loads of retrofits to get what I wanted. I looked for months and could not find a decent car with my shopping list of extras, there are a load of bent, knocked, poorly repaired S3's out there both on Audi main dealer forecourts as well as independents, I traveled 100's of miles on 'sales executives' word that "the car is perfect mate" and walked away, "what makes you think that the nearside has been resprayed" You are in the wrong job son. I bought a straight body (and even that had a carpark repair on the rear bumper) and am making it my own now.
An S3 is for driving and enjoying on the road, buy one and you will.
I would have liked a VC and am told that you can't retrofit that now with component protection, but have got over that now and it adds roughly £1k to the price.

I agree with the VC argument. Its the main thing holding me back at the moment.

I myself went from a 64 plate A3 TDI 184 to a 19 plate S3 I don't regret the switch one bit . 66/18 plates are the best for sound and a tad more power
virtual cockpit and super sport seats are a must and for me the Audi design pack was too