A3 to S3 front grill (Grey /Black/Chrome)

Silent2016

Reaction score
Hi I have an A3 8v in white and I have managed to convert the back end to twin exhaust and with a twin S3 diffuser. I would now like to convert the front but the S3 grills out there seem to be grey in colour and not black.

Does anyone know what colour car the grey s3 grills are from? as all the s3 I see have black or black/chrome front grills so a bit of a loss on the grey ones and would it look odd on a white car with all the other grills been Black, ie the front spot light covers are Black and chrome on an s3 unless it is blackened to all black but not keen on changing it to all black edition and I have never seen an S3 with grey hex spotlight covers.

Any answers out there?

Must admit I've never seen grey grilles on an S3. Black with chrome highlights is standard and all black comes with the Black Sport Pack (BSP) is added which removes the chrome highlight from the front grilles, rear diffuser and de-chromes the window and door trims.

Must admit I've never seen grey grilles on an S3. Black with chrome highlights is standard and all black comes with the Black Sport Pack (BSP) is added which removes the chrome highlight from the front grilles, rear diffuser and de-chromes the window and door trims.
Hi Rob,
Yes I agree I have never seen a grey front S3 Grill although there are many out there, Me thinking are the grey ones after market as it would look a little odd grey front grill with chrome surround yet black and chrome spotlight air vent covers.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Hi I have an A3 8v in white and I have managed to convert the back end to twin exhaust and with a twin S3 diffuser. I would now like to convert the front but the S3 grills out there seem to be grey in colour and not black.

Does anyone know what colour car the grey s3 grills are from? as all the s3 I see have black or black/chrome front grills so a bit of a loss on the grey ones and would it look odd on a white car with all the other grills been Black, ie the front spot light covers are Black and chrome on an s3 unless it is blackened to all black but not keen on changing it to all black edition and I have never seen an S3 with grey hex spotlight covers.

Any answers out there?

Personally A grey grill on a white car will look very odd. Just my opinion, but If I was you I'd look at an RS3 grill in gloss black, instead of looking for an S3 grill. I think they look a lot nicer and would look perfect on your white car. You can get them from www.xenonz.co.uk and they are a reasonable price and look very high quality.

Alternatively, when I hopefully get my S3 in April, I'll be putting on an RS3 grill, so Id have a black styling pack S3 grill going spare.

The standard s3 grill is grey with chrome unless you spec the black styling pack in which its all black

Or have I picked up the op wrong?

Reactions: Rob2k68
No you're right.

Just to clarify main grille is grey/chrome with the two outer lower grilles black with chrome highlights - this is standard S3.

With black sport pack BSP both front grille and lower outer grilles are black.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevier88
The standard s3 grill is grey with chrome unless you spec the black styling pack in which its all black

Or have I picked up the op wrong?
View attachment 80577
Yes I see now, many thanks for putting me right on this. The grey does not look or stand out that much until you look for it once fitted.

Reactions: Stevier88 and Rob2k68
If you have front parking sensors the two middle ones are also grey with the standard grille and black with the BSP option.

Sorry to hijack but... how easy are these grills to change? Looking at the offering from xenonz and it looks ace!

Sorry to hijack but... how easy are these grills to change? Looking at the offering from xenonz and it looks ace!

There's a how to guide on here somewhere id search and post the link but out walking the dogs at the mo.

Basically it's bumper off and then some awkward clips to undo and most people also paint the front crash beam black so you can't see it through the more open mesh grille. Prob a good half a days work and it helps if you can get the front off the ground. Also if you have front parking sensors these can be a bit wobbly and false trigger so need a bit of tweaking.

Depending on how local you are, they offer fitting for £100 if you're worried about fitting it yourself. They're based in Bradford.

Also, they're Facebook page has a lot more on car pictures, which will give you a better idea of how nice they look!