A3 to Quattro conversion

MrSma

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not wondering has anyone done a a3 fwd to Quattro conversion ? I want to get decent power but not sure the fwd would handle the torque.

I know the floor plan is the same but what all is needed and if I found a 2.0TDi doner car would that work ?

Buying a Quattro is not an option I've already done a lot of work to this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I'm not wondering has anyone done a a3 fwd to Quattro conversion ? I want to get decent power but not sure the fwd would handle the torque.

I know the floor plan is the same but what all is needed and if I found a 2.0TDi doner car would that work ?

Buying a Quattro is not an option I've already done a lot of work to this one

I really don't mean to put a downer on it but I can't believe you're even thinking about it. I know you say you've done alot of work to the current one but you'd be better off just buying one and taking as many parts as possible off yours and transferring them onto the new one.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Even if you can do the work yourself it would not be feasible value wise. You would need to be dedicated to the cause if you do go ahead and the car would be off the road for a few months. If you have the time and the skill go ahead, you'll win some admirers.

I've just painted and widened the arches on the shell. I don't see why it's such a big issue. The car has been off the road for 3 months so far and I have a daily so that's grand. I'm not going to sell this car so I want it to be able to handle any power. Just want to know what's needed

A lot of money for one. For a start a haldex controller new goes for £1050 and that's before you start with anything like rear diffs, propshaft £940 + vat etc. You might be able to keep your existing ecu and have it all recoded with the haldex system but your going to need a good donor car I'm afraid.

Dont bother with 2nd hand haldex controllers unless they give you a good warranty. They are prone to corrosion inside!!

A lot of money for one. For a start a haldex controller new goes for £1050 and that's before you start with anything like rear diffs, propshaft £940 + vat etc. You might be able to keep your existing ecu and have it all recoded with the haldex system but your going to need a good donor car I'm afraid.

Dont bother with 2nd hand haldex controllers unless they give you a good warranty. They are prone to corrosion inside!!

Surely I'd be able to get most of what I need from the donee car. Only thing that is stopping me is the fact it's not "real" 4wd

It's true it's not a permanent 4wd but it's still pretty good. I used to have a modified impreza Sti prodrive which obviously handled very well in all weather's but was horrendous on fuel.

The haldex version you get better economy and to be fair only difference I could say that is disappointing is that in the snow the 4wd won't kick in on a descent to help you unlike on my impreza it really helped. I live well up north in weardale and we get a good amount of snow at 1000ft. On flat roads or hills the Quattro in the snow has got me past other vehicles that were stuck.

I still get 58 mpg too running about 205 bhp ;)

I think you would be better off fitting a qauife lsd, as for all the extra weight you will carry with the haldex then it may not be worth the bova.
Also you will be heavier and less nimble, you have to break earlier, the only advantage is exit speed on corners in the wet.

A colleauge of mine did a 4wd conversion on a mk1 gti earlier last year, was around £6.7k for parts and labour.

A colleauge of mine did a 4wd conversion on a mk1 gti earlier last year, was around £6.7k for parts and labour.
That's a big difference tho. I'd buy a donor car and most of it would work from the other car.

Surely I'd be able to get most of what I need from the donee car. Only thing that is stopping me is the fact it's not "real" 4wd

with a race mode HPA gen4 it is

AND lets get behind this guy and support his idea. Remember DeckedS3 changed from manual to DSG and he is loving it. Plus I love people who spend money and I always support influencing others to spend their money for my entertainment:rock:

Reactions: grainqey, ch1z64 and S.

AND lets get behind this guy and support his idea. Remember DeckedS3 changed from manual to DSG and he is loving it. Plus I love people who spend money and I always support influencing others to spend their money for my entertainment:rock:

Exactly! Get behind someone who wants to spend stupid money on something that shouldn't happen.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Quaife lsd ,you only have to look at the best fast roads cars like the megane . On my previous Evo the 4wd was immense and you could feel it pull you round corners. The haldex won't , but if it's grip from dead starts you want then it's very good. Good luck if you do try it , make sure you make a thread

Reactions: audismart and KillianKC
Agree with Muggles190, there is a lot to be said for a good LSD

Reactions: audismart
The new Golf GTi has cracked the fastest lap round the ring in a fwd car. And that has got a trick LSD in it.
Funny how there has not been an Audi S3 sent round the ring to do a best lap time.???

Haldex + competition controller is a step forward. I wonder what it would be with front diff added to the lot.
There are plenty of awd conversions done mostly on gti or a 'rocco.

May aswell revive a dead thread properly :D... It's a pretty straight forward swap from fwd to awd, I did it on my a3 after I swapped to the rs3 gearbox. It's an easier swap on a b6 a4 though. Think mine was about 5k to do and took a few days to physically swap over fwiw, it takes a week approx to get all the wiring done and interior put back properly

May aswell revive a dead thread properly :D... It's a pretty straight forward swap from fwd to awd, I did it on my a3 after I swapped to the rs3 gearbox. It's an easier swap on a b6 a4 though. Think mine was about 5k to do and took a few days to physically swap over fwiw, it takes a week approx to get all the wiring done and interior put back properly

Hello, I recently bought an complete Golf 7 R drive train and now i want to face the fwd to awd conversion in my Audi A3 8V Hatchback. Starting with the read axle by looks the biggest problem is the rear floor. All the mounting points looks the same. How did you manage to fit the axle under the deeper rear floor? Can you please share your experiences and maybe some pictures? Thanks and greeding from Germany!

Hello, I recently bought an complete Golf 7 R drive train and now i want to face the fwd to awd conversion in my Audi A3 8V Hatchback. Starting with the read axle by looks the biggest problem is the rear floor. All the mounting points looks the same. How did you manage to fit the axle under the deeper rear floor? Can you please share your experiences and maybe some pictures? Thanks and greeding from Germany!
Wrong forum. You want the 8V section, this is the 8p