A3 TDI vs Golf GT (TSI)

emzino

Reaction score
I'll get straigh to the point:

Which would you rather have...

a) A3 2.0TDI 170bhp
b) VW Golf 1.4 TSI 170bhp
c) TBA ~ A3 1.4TSI 170bhp

I'm still considering my options but i've also just remembered that Audi will be introducing the A3 1.4TSI with 170bhp as well... right?

Now do you think the TSI engine is a better overall engine than the TDI? I'm convinced to be honest or am I being brain washed by VW's TSI video heh http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/technology_glossary/TSI

I'd take the diesel cos I'm tight and hate spending money on fuel! I know the TSI is supposed to quite good on fuel but surely it cant be capable of 45+MPG like the diesels can?

What was the point? Why not taking 2,0TFSI in the compare instead of 1,4TSI (which Audi won't see in the A3) ? Talking about same price anyway.

Audi is using 1,8TFSI, there's no point introducing 1,4TSI to the line up, it's not as refined as 1,8TFSI. Also, 1,8TFSI's CO2-readings are lower than 1,4 TSI's (171 vs. 179).

- Yak

consider the price of the TDI new along with the price of derv these days along with the miles you do and in what location (eg town, country or motorway)

do these all tick the boxes for you to require a derv car apposed to a cheaper petrol version which returns good enough mpg?

I'd go for the A3 170 TDI.

I think you'll find the 1.4 TFSI has replaced the 1.6 fsi engine and delivers only 125 bhp. There is no line up for a 170, as the 1.8T delivers 160 bhp, and has replaced the 2.00 fsi engine.

Also your being brain washed.:wacko:

Depends on what you use the car for.

For long journeys I'd go for the 2.0 TDi 170 A3.

For short journeys round town in stop start traffic I'd go for the 1.4 TSI Golf. The diesels take too long to warm up in town journeys to be efficient

I'm not a fan of small capacity engines being squeezed to get as much power as possible out of them.

I've seen too many blown smart engines to think a 1.4 is good for 170PS.

Doesn't it depend on personal choice.

170bhp Tdi has great Torque. TFSi doesn't. Tdi rattles a bit and doesn't rev but TFSi is smooth and revs well.

Personally I think it's not a choice many folks will agonise about for long!!:icon_thumright:

Engines apart, the Golf cabin is very low rent compared to the A3 cabin, far too many hard plastics.

I have a Sportback, my other half a Golf, night and day when you compare the interiors.

cdb2 said:
Engines apart, the Golf cabin is very low rent compared to the A3 cabin, far too many hard plastics.

I have a Sportback, my other half a Golf, night and day when you compare the interiors.

No competition Audi everytime

daveyjp said:
I'm not a fan of small capacity engines being squeezed to get as much power as possible out of them.

I've seen too many blown smart engines to think a 1.4 is good for 170PS.

That's not a particularly high state of tune though.
It's only 120bhp per litre.
Bikes are producing double that, pretty easily, without the need for turbos or anything other forced induction.

cdb2 said:

Big difference in price too, so it's not a like-for-like comparison.

bowfer said:
Big difference in price too, so it's not a like-for-like comparison.

Tell me about it, my choice was a brand new Golf GTI 30th edition or my year and bit Sportback S-line.

But i didn't want another VW.:friends:

The 1.4TSI do actually come in a 170bhp variant which surprised me but I also raised my eyebrows at the fact that they were able to pack such a bhp figure in a 1.4 but of course the TSI engine is unique to others so maybe it's just new to us.

Either way, I do love the TDI... very very much but the DPF is concerning me regarding tuning capabilities & reliability.

I really do hope Audi introduce a new TDI engine in 2008...

I still want the S3 8L but really can't justify going from a Diesel to a Petrol in these conditions: high prices, traffic all the time etc.
Just can't justify it at all...

bowfer said:
Bikes are producing double that, pretty easily, without the need for turbos or anything other forced induction.

Then again, bikes are serviced every 7500 kilometers or so. At least I think mine has about that interval.

Then again, I don't think bike engines would like to operate at -30C ;). Never tested though, and I don't think I will either.. But I'd still like to see higher revving engines in the cars, I like that character.

- Yak

emzino said:
I really do hope Audi introduce a new TDI engine in 2008...

Huh? They just did.. 2,0 TDI, just in common-rail form this time. Haven't driven it yet, but at least it doesn't rattle as much in the new A4. Personally I'm thinking which one to chose, 1,8TFSI or 2,0TDI if I'll pick up new A4 (I think it was awesome looking machine, but I haven't driven it yet, since 1,8TFSIs aren't available yet). That much for the original topic, 1,8TFSI would be a bit cheaper for me when it comes to running costs.

- Yak

Do you mean the 2.0TDI's with DPF? If you do then the negative comments about them are rather disturbing... but it's such a leap forward.

Now the 1.8/2.0TFSI, what kind of MPG would you get around town driving? Would the FSI technology save more when doing a side-by-side comparison with a non-FSI equivalent?

e.g.

a) 1.8TFSI MPG = x
b) 1.8T MPG = x

etc

Parkers seems to have answered that last question for me. How accurate they are I don't know but gives me something to work with:

a) S3 8L ~ 1.8T: 225bhp @ 30mpg
b) A3 8P ~ 2.0TDI: 140bhp @ 51mpg
c) A3 8P ~ 2.0TDI: 170bhp @ 48mpg
d) A3 8P ~ 1.8TFSI: 157bhp @ 38mpg
e) A3 8P ~ 2.0TFSI: 197bhp @ 35mpg

Im sorry but the 2.0T is a rubbish engine for fuel economy.
After owning 2.0 TDi 140 / 2.0T 197 / S3 265.

The 2.0T is not one for a fuel conscious person. Figures be figures and you will be driving like a granny to atain thos figures don't care what anyones says.

Hmmm. How much fuel would you say it consumes MPG wise...

emzino said:
Parkers seems to have answered that last question for me. How accurate they are I don't know but gives me something to work with:

a) S3 8L ~ 1.8T: 225bhp @ 30mpg
b) A3 8P ~ 2.0TDI: 140bhp @ 51mpg
c) A3 8P ~ 2.0TDI: 170bhp @ 48mpg
d) A3 8P ~ 1.8TFSI: 157bhp @ 38mpg
e) A3 8P ~ 2.0TFSI: 197bhp @ 35mpg

We have averaged 25mpg in 25000 miles according to the DIS. Not an economical motor but FUN. Managed 18 out of an S3 we borrowed for a long weekend.. EVEN MORE FUN:slap:

emzino said:
Do you mean the 2.0TDI's with DPF? If you do then the negative comments about them are rather disturbing... but it's such a leap forward.

No, the 2,0TDI DPF on this forum is the old one with PD-technology. A3/A6/A4(B7)'s 2,0TDI is different engine than the one in the new A4 (B8).

- Yak

Aha ok. Although the new 2.0TDI 100% Common-Rail will be good, unfortunately I won't be able to afford it =(

Hopefully it'll get released soon though, I want to read up on more details about it but I don't think any has been released!

I read somewhere that it'll be 200bhp stock...

emzino said:
I'll get straigh to the point:

Which would you rather have...

a) A3 2.0TDI 170bhp
b) VW Golf 1.4 TSI 170bhp
c) TBA ~ A3 1.4TSI 170bhp

Ever thought about a 170 or 140 diesel golf?

Ok the golf isnt going to have as many bells and whistles as the Audi but its still a very nice car with near enough the same engine but cheaper, also with the weight difference the diesel in a golf will have a bit more poke and handle a lot better too. Maybe your budget would stretch to GT TDI money.

I wouldnt be put off by tales of rattling diesels unless engine noise is high priority for you, sure you notice it at first but within a week it doesnt even register plus I would think the TSI would have no where near as much torque as the diesel (please correct me if Im wrong).

I went from an A3 to a Golf, sure the interiour wasnt as nice but it was cheaper and handled a lot better, was nicer to drive with more comfortable seats and didnt have those 'bars' on the centre console that dig into your knee. Horses for courses...