A3 TDI Quattro

james.allan.923

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals.

Owned my A3 Sportback for a couple months now. And I love it.

Got RS4 alloys, black pack, full heated leather interior (front and rear).

Plans I have are Coil overs, Remap, spacers, alloys, led rear light upgrade plus others.

What I'd like to know is what power is available safely? I'd like to go to a hybrid turbo and turbo back exhaust. Also who's best to use for Remap?

Cheers James
(St Andrews, Fife)

Hi James what spec tdi do you have this will effect the kinda next move? With anything the sky is the limit depending how deep your pockets are....

Ad

Hey Ad.

It's a A3 TDI 170 Quattro S-Line.

What other spec should I find out? I'd like around 250bhp but I understand torque is the number here. Came from a Leon FR Stage 2 lol. So power is a bit lower than used to lol.

James

Ok well there's a couple of things to take into account,, first above 230hp gets very expensive....

Mines a cr 170 but fwd. As your quattro you will always lose a certain percentage of power through the 4wd system so whatever you do it'll always feel slower.

But I have a darkside downpipe, paired with a milltek system dpf removed egr removed, with a stg2 remap... This sees about 200-220 hp.... The problem next being to further I would need a turbo, injector and clutch and remap which would be around 2-3k for turbo and inj with custom manifold, clutch 1k..... So that's alot of dollar for a extra few hp.... So really as I said all depends how deep your pockets are... If you got a good 5k spare you can get about 300hp easy. I personally love mine where it is right now and feel the cost isn't worth the gain...

Cheers. Maybe just go for 220 bhp then. Will do me till I get my RS4 next lol. How much you spent so far? If you don't mind me asking

Not sure tbh, I got a deal on the milltek got. It for 150 downpipe was about 250 I fabricated my centre section. Egr del was about 50 quid plus the remap. I got a k+n filter too. But I'd say you'd need about 1k to get to 220. It took my friend and I 1 day to do the full exhaust change and deletes as it requires fiddley work and software and drop the subframe.... But all worth it mines great nippy and good low range and still get high mpg..

Yeah. Just a bit. I was born in Durley. Got family in Blackheath and Kidderminster lol

Thinking about blank egr any gain in power? Disadvatages?
Btw you tested your car on dyno?
I'm taking mine to dyno, but with stock turbo I think I have 200hp only

Never had it on a dyno haha. I'll have to do that first I guess

Reactions: RafaelF
i'm not far from kidderminster yeah! Egr will not really gain hp just can cause issues so i removed mine to save future hassle during the swap..... my car hasn't been on the dyno. the car will go into limp mode unless the egr is uncoded from the ecu ,, so you can't just delete it...

I have the quattro cr 170 engine . Mapped by myself . Egr delete dpf delete . Problem firstly you'll notice is the cr engine isnt as torquey as the pd engine . Alot of the power is also lost through the 4wd system. For 220 bhp and the standard setup i think your clutching at straws . Struggle to get 230 from a hybrid with standard injectors .custom exhaust .unless you spend some serious money .
For the lowering id stay away from the hr springs . I bought a set from a member on here . 50mm drop. Back end rubs continously .

i'm not far from kidderminster yeah! Egr will not really gain hp just can cause issues so i removed mine to save future hassle during the swap..... my car hasn't been on the dyno. the car will go into limp mode unless the egr is uncoded from the ecu ,, so you can't just delete it...
I'm sure you can blank egr completly, I will do it later, btw how much boost your doing to get 220hp ?

No need to blank egr adjust duty to 99% closed .

I tried via vcds but canbus sistem prevent on touching that, max u can close electronicly is 90%

Fu rainy weather, tyres slip away in 4th gear :p

i've never said i have 220hp , tbh i couldn't care about figures i have my cosworth as my toy.... but when i spoke to darkside they said exactly what i just stated that 200-220 is possible without going bigger turbo conversion but then it gets very expensive.... i have done all i want to mine... I would be suprised if it was under 200 hp... everyone has thery're own opinions on how to do the deletes or blanks etc etc ..... personally im a do it once do it right kinda guy so mine was all mapped out by the tuner and done correctly without reducing the cycles etc with a custom tune for my exact spec....

but i wanted fwd so it was quicker and i didnt lose power through the drivetrain.. As well as its something else to fix if it breaks!

For reference i'd just stick some -30mm eibachs on i have had them on several cars (and my current) and they are a fantastic spring... people suck off coilovers and think they're the bomb but 90% are complete crap having run a fair few sets ranging from £500-2k i'd pick oe shocks and eibach springs all day long on a daily car .... if money was no issue i'm running ohlins after trying loads and being totally unimpressed... but i also like bilstein, reiger, koni are good but i have had a set or 2 bend.... again had kw and weitec and wasnt overly impressed

Last edited:
should have stated in the map itself for egr closure , as for the eibach car is already sline and 20 mm lower as standard , tbh though if i ever had passengers in back even with standard springs car rubbed arches over bumps

Last time I went to dyno it shown 181hp,(turned map stock and 156hp) so I made big revision and clean to injectores, and I expect 200+, now the car itselft seems better
so I will go on dyno soon and really check it's current power.

About springs vs coils, I don't really care, mine have sline springs too, with oem sachs shocks, but with agreessive driving, front of the car flee.

I have a PPD 170 (BMN), had the DPF out EGR delete and a map, before it was 152hp and after it was a safe 196hp, that's just a stainless downpipe with fake DPF and everything else standard.

Oh and I'd agree with Adamski, I have Eibach sportlines on OE shocks and it transformed the car, less crashy and a little lower over sline trim. Might also be worth checking with Audi to see if you've had your injector recall before you get a map, as I had mine done and Audi made a hash of it and never timed the injectors properly. There's hundreds of posts regarding these engines smoking and struggling to start but since Darkside had my car it's never smoked like it did after Audi had it once!

Oh and I'd agree with Adamski, I have Eibach sportlines on OE shocks and it transformed the car, less crashy and a little lower over sline trim. Might also be worth checking with Audi to see if you've had your injector recall before you get a map, as I had mine done and Audi made a hash of it and never timed the injectors properly. There's hundreds of posts regarding these engines smoking and struggling to start but since Darkside had my car it's never smoked like it did after Audi had it once!

the cr like mine doesn't suffer with the inj issues luckily.......