A3 tdi fuel economy

dan1973

OCD clean
Reaction score
Just thought i would see what the rest of you a3 tdi owners are getting. Mine is a non pd engine and i am getting around 90 - 100 miles out of £10 worth of diesal.

Thats really good, whats your driving style like?

i.e do you drive with optimum fuel consumption in mind and change gears at 2.5 thousand revs or a more spirited driver who changes more at 4 thousand revs?

Thats really good, whats your driving style like?

i.e do you drive with optimum fuel consumption in mind and change gears at 2.5 thousand revs or a more spirited driver who changes more at 4 thousand revs?
There is no gain to be had if you rev a tdi engine past 3000 rpm ! If you wanna drive ecconomical in a diesel just change at 1600 rpm, before the turbo spools. Feel the engine and dont let it labour just let the clutch out and the torque will pull you allong...Also, coasting in gear does not burn any fuel as the inertia from the wheels/transmission is turning the engine so the pump injects no fuel. Dont do it for prolonged period of time as the fuel is cooling the pump's rotary head and with no lubrication they wear out quicker.

I drive pretty steady to be honest dont thrash her. Never go above 3 as said above nothing to be gained. :icon_thumright:

Thats bang on what I used to get out of my A3 tdi 110bhp 90-100 miles out of £10 so I used to see it as costing me 10p a mile.

I have an '03 pd130 sport with 120k on the clock, sorry to say I've no mods (except an ipod link) despite owning it for 2 yrs

Normally I get ~50mpg doing my normal commute but the other week I was returning from Derby on a work trip with no rush to get back to the grind so just sat it at 70 and cruised along the M6.... It was averaging 62mpg for the journey, awesome economy for a big heavy car :D

These quotes are extactly why my S3's going up for sale soon :) Im getting a horrible MPG and use V-Power...Cant wait to run a car at £10 for 100 miles! Almost sounds to good to be true. :confused:

These quotes are extactly why my S3's going up for sale soon :) Im getting a horrible MPG and use V-Power...Cant wait to run a car at £10 for 100 miles! Almost sounds to good to be true. :confused:
It's certainly great, before i had mine i was running a t5 with 300 brake great fun kept with 911's but the fuel was a real killer. I mean i am talking averaging 17 mpg around town. Dont get me wrong the a3 wont come near the performance of the t5 but it still goes well handles as good if not better than the t5 and the fuel economy just put's a big grin on my face.

There is no gain to be had if you rev a tdi engine past 3000 rpm ! .

If you have the five speed box you need over 3000rpm to get to 100mph.

I've kept my fuel/mileage records, the worst was 43mpg and the best was 59mpg.
If thats too exact for you I usually drive for 500miles or so and then fill up with between £40 and £50 worth of fuel.

I tend to drive briskly but with economy in mind. I have a killer commute though - 17.5 miles of bottlenecks in town and fast dual carriageway with lots of roundabouts. Commuting gets me around 44-47mpg.
The 59mpg tank was done in rural Ireland on small roads but I did manage 49mpg on a high speed run to Edinburgh and back. The six speed box would make a hell of a difference to that though.

Its quite possible to drive around town and keep the revs below 1400 using 1st, 2nd and 5th gear.

I’ve got a 5speed box and mine pulls hard from 2k to 4k rpm. Get 50mpg on the motorway mix of a blast and medium paced cruise. Around town is more like 36mpg.

I would like to drive with economy in mind but then I remember TDi's have issues with carbon build up so often give it a good blast to stop any boost problems occurring.

New turbo after many thousand miles, or spread the cost over a longer period with the occasional spirited drive. hmm :)

love the fact i dont have to worrie about the cost of fuel to much in mine i can easily get to work and back for the week on a tener. mine is a 2003 130 6 speed and thats enough for me lots of low down power and pull.

well my car has a drinking habbit! Infact it could of taken on George Best! I don't even like to look at the MPG

anyone want a race tho? lol

well my car has a drinking habbit! Infact it could of taken on George Best! I don't even like to look at the MPG

anyone want a race tho? lol

Think mine needs to go to Rehab......Ill race you Dan :)

Im running a standard 2006 1.9tdi, getting 650 miles on a full tank,i i have changed my driving style to get this kind of mileage,i did drive like i stole it ,now its like miss daisy, which must be arond 62 mpg,,

i've got 1.9 tdi 130 brake 6 speed box and i get 500+mile out of a tank which cost around £54. i dont drive like its a sunday but drive it at my own pace and of course got that little extra grunt for the slow **** drivers haha.

those little diesels are pretty nippy too

tbh at the moment i can "suffer" fuelling my S4 at the moment. 29mpg average on the motorway. 24-25mpg around town.

my sounds better in tunnels though

It's certainly great, before i had mine i was running a t5 with 300 brake great fun kept with 911's but the fuel was a real killer. I mean i am talking averaging 17 mpg around town. Dont get me wrong the a3 wont come near the performance of the t5 but it still goes well handles as good if not better than the t5 and the fuel economy just put's a big grin on my face.

I have never had any trouble with T5's..... yet you say they will keep with 911's :think:

I've got a 1.9tdi 105bhp and from a full tank im getting around 370 miles that's all town driving with a two mile stretch of motorway each day. Personally I think that's really poor, anyone agree?

I stopped using my A3 1.8t as my daily as it was KILLING me in fuel bills (not to mention my expensive choice of tyres, brakes and general service parts)... I bought an A4 tdi (pd) with a quarter of a million miles on it (no exaggeration) for 275 quid and it's saving me about that every month in fuel, plus I don't give a sh*t about it, which is great!

Also, I recently had to put v-power diesel in as they were out of normal diesel and I got MORE miles out of 30 quid than I do with regular diesel even at the extra 5p per litre... You also get double points if you have a shell club card, so I've not started using solely v-power. Well worth it IMO