A3 TDI 170 PD DPF Delete - where to go near Manchester?

c_w

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting the DPF removed from my A3 - the DPF light is coming on frequently now despite same style driving (had the car for over 4 years and only this past year has it become an issue) - it clears itself ok but it's getting a pain to make a point of driving it down the motorway to clear.

I had my old A3 170 done by JBS, it was quite pricey and for me the throttle map/power was too aggresive low down gave the clutch a hard time in higher gears/low revs.

I'm based near Manchester / south Manchester. My first point of call was Unicorn Developments as they appear to have a good reputation on here but I have tried unsuccessfully contacting them by PM, email, phone (tried all times of day) and even turning up to their closed unit earlier today! Not ruling them out as there may be some reason why he/they are not around atm.

What other decent places in the North West should I be looking at?

Thanks for any info.

Do you mind me asking how much it cost as I'm thinking of doing it myself

Do you mind me asking how much it cost as I'm thinking of doing it myself

Purely based on having been under my car and a quattro, the quattro car looks like a big ball4che...lots more stuff to remove to get the DPF out...

Purely based on having been under my car and a quattro, the quattro car looks like a big ball4che...lots more stuff to remove to get the DPF out...

More stuff means more money, fantastic

More stuff means more money, fantastic

Tbh you'd rather have quattro because you'll be able to stick the power down better.

Incidentally you don't happen to know where I can get an EGR blanking plate for mine do you?

Love the quattro

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131109748333

Saw this a while back, do you think it's worth doing?

Yes, on our cars that have DPF I don't see the point in just a stage 1 map.

Best to gut the DPF (so it is still there for visual inspection during MOT), blank off the EGR and then get it mapped to suit the mods.

Yes, on our cars that have DPF I don't see the point in just a stage 1 map.

Best to gut the DPF (so it is still there for visual inspection during MOT), blank off the EGR and then get it mapped to suit the mods.
Fair point

Was going to say if you're doing just the egr plate then it'll bring up an engine management light, have read somewhere that if you use the blanking plate of a seat leon mk3, it's a slightly smaller fit however doesn't being up an engine management light

Fair point

Was going to say if you're doing just the egr plate then it'll bring up an engine management light, have read somewhere that if you use the blanking plate of a seat leon mk3, it's a slightly smaller fit however doesn't being up an engine management light

Oh yeah I've seen those, the aperture is smaller but doesn't bring the engine light on

Have you had yours mapped etc?

Oh yeah I've seen those, the aperture is smaller but doesn't bring the engine light on

Have you had yours mapped etc?

No not yet, not had the car long and have spent quite a bit of money on it or am I'm the process of doing so with other mods

Probably do remap when dpf gives me problems or early next year if I get bored of the power

You have to drive a 170bhp diesel on long runs anyway as the heat needs to be generated through the DPF to clear the crap out of the system.
DPF`s don't like short journeys, ***** them up.
Careful on your DPF delete as its now illegal as the 170 chucks more **** out than a 140.
And I hope I wont be behind you when you put your foot down and get a lung full of black smoke. :earthamericas:

You have to drive a 170bhp diesel on long runs anyway as the heat needs to be generated through the DPF to clear the **** out of the system.
Careful on your DPF delete as its now illegal as the 170 chucks more **** out than a 140.
And I hope I wont be behind you when you put your foot down and get a lung full of black smoke. :earthamericas:

The cars that smoke bad are the ones that have a poor quality generic map on

I know someone who's car hardly smoke, it only lightly mists even then only at full throttle

Reactions: Usmxn
You have to drive a 170bhp diesel on long runs anyway as the heat needs to be generated through the DPF to clear the **** out of the system.

Happened to me this morning by a q7 3l diesel, huge cloud of smoke, looked terrible

It's always been illegal hence getting it removed properly, ie cut open the box remove the dead filter and re-weld back up like new.
It's only a visual check for the DPF box.
As above you get a good map you get the slightest of whisper even when gunning it.

Reactions: Sayam
These are the new rules.
New rules for MOT to test for diesel particulate filter - Press releases - GOV.UK
And just my penny's worth, its the Diesel particulates that are cancerous.

Forgive me for being facetious but burnt toast is carcinogenic, as is any food that is even slightly burnt.

There are things like the liverpool care pathway which effectively kill us during palliative care, so sorry if my diesel smoke pushes you out the door a day or two earlier.

And, I say the above with the greatest love and respect in the world, I just don't buy the whole issue lol. :)

yeah a little more work involved as the props gotta be dropped to get to it, depending on where you go talking an extra £50-£100 than fwd

Forgive me for being facetious but burnt toast is carcinogenic, as is any food that is even slightly burnt.

There are things like the liverpool care pathway which effectively kill us during palliative care, so sorry if my diesel smoke pushes you out the door a day or two earlier.

And, I say the above with the greatest love and respect in the world, I just don't buy the whole issue lol. :)
LOL, dont get me wrong I aint no tree hugger, I dont buy it either, in the grand scheme of it all we have only been burning fuels for two hundred years and the planet has been here for millions, so we have ruined the planet in that time, B***S*** lol.
The only thing for me is if I was given the choice to stand 10 meters away from an exhaust pumping out from a diesel oil burner or from a refined petrol unit for one minute, I know what 100 % of people would choose including myself.
:cheerful:

why dont people stop and think to there selves' DPF isnt really any different to a cat on a petrol car. why no hoo harr over a petrol cat, also its easier to get away with a diesel and dpf than a petrol cat. diesel is smoke test and petrol is actual emissions, People seriously need to spend less time on google becoming mechanics of the search engine kind and chill the hell out

Reactions: Sayam and LEE69
I'll be leaving my dpf in place, the government will only try and make it harder to get away with in the long run, plus they've already said there will be a hike in diesel and road tax for diesel cars due to them polluting the world.

Oh I'm well aware of the driving conditions to suit the 170, I've had the car 4.5yrs and had one before that too! :) It doesn't see much short use, but sometimes you might need to go shopping! In the first two years the DPF light came on maybe once or twice, this past year more often, and this summer it has been coming on almost every other day, sometimes with the glowplug light/limp mode, so as a car to get to work in it's getting a bit daft.

I've had to force regenerations and take it for a drive to clear it so it's ok for the morning - I can get ash content down from nearly 60% to 1% so it clears well when forced, but I think the DPF has just become less efficient in day to day passive regeneration.

My previous DPF delete 170 didn't smoke too much, less than most non-DPF diesels do. On a '06 I bet it wasn't mandatory either.

Reactions: audismart
Diesels seem more problematic than petrol's these days and why is it so expensive to change dpf, its a total rip off in my opinion.

LOL, dont get me wrong I aint no tree hugger, I dont buy it either, in the grand scheme of it all we have only been burning fuels for two hundred years and the planet has been here for millions, so we have ruined the planet in that time, B***S*** lol.
The only thing for me is if I was given the choice to stand 10 meters away from an exhaust pumping out from a diesel oil burner or from a refined petrol unit for one minute, I know what 100 % of people would choose including myself.
:cheerful:

Lol glad you saw the funny side of my post mate, for a minute I thought it would be me against the tree huggers haha.

I don't mind this ad-blue stuff if it means the DPF and EGR are removed and assuming it remains relatively cheap. At least it sorts everything exhaust side and doesn't put rubbish air back into the intake.

Reactions: audismart
What do we all think about diesels now with the all this in the states with 4.7bn set aside for recalls and refunds on vag diesels and cheating the emissions testing.

Read this earlier http://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/big-vw-emissions-scandal-your-questions-answered

How different are US and EU emissions tests?

The US tests have always demanded lower oxides of nitrogen (NOx) levels. The EU4 test for diesel cars, which applied for much of the period in question, allowed 0.25g/km of NOx. At the same time, EU4 for petrols stipulated 0.08g/km. So diesels were given an easy ride, because the authorities saw them as a good way to reduce CO2 emissions, the main greenhouse gas.

In the US the allowable NOx standard is the same for petrol and diesel, and amounts to about a tenth of the European diesel standard. And the car has to remain in compliance up to 120,000 miles old.

Dont worry its coming our way soon, but the big car companies are owned by the oil companies and there all governed by our governments, as always the law will only apply to new cars from 2015 or newer when it does change, funny how the cost of diesel has come down at the pumps at the same time. Also the yanks only drive 1% diesel over there 99% of petrol cars and we in Europe drive a 50/50%, so its a small admit by vw, they have put 4.7bn aside for the yanks, if they had to do that for Europe it would more than 10 times that and that would just tumble a lot of big corporate companies, its such a big scam, the yanks are one of the biggest polluters on the planet and we moan about them, but in turn we run cars that pollute 10 more than the yanks. Dont figure.

Read this earlier http://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/big-vw-emissions-scandal-your-questions-answered

How different are US and EU emissions tests?

The US tests have always demanded lower oxides of nitrogen (NOx) levels. The EU4 test for diesel cars, which applied for much of the period in question, allowed 0.25g/km of NOx. At the same time, EU4 for petrols stipulated 0.08g/km. So diesels were given an easy ride, because the authorities saw them as a good way to reduce CO2 emissions, the main greenhouse gas.

In the US the allowable NOx standard is the same for petrol and diesel, and amounts to about a tenth of the European diesel standard. And the car has to remain in compliance up to 120,000 miles old.
Oh Oh, Europe are in it too, what a scam, it stinks like a diesel.
VW to fire three executives as emissions scandal deepens | Reuters

yeah a little more work involved as the props gotta be dropped to get to it, depending on where you go talking an extra £50-£100 than fwd

Yeah don't get caught out with the cons most garages will have you believe.

"we need it for 2 days" "oh its a quat, let me add 400 on the price"

Just take it to unicorn like I did.

Nick